Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is me venting and all, I get it. But when are people going to be tired of banging this same old drum? And how many teenagers have 35k lying around? Did I miss out on a childhood?

I'm in my 30's, have a BRZ, going to get the GR86 next year, and the notion that to own such a car as an adult is a preposterous act. As an adult I finally have a few dollars and continue to be fiscally irresponsible so I can do things like, afford this car.

The weird vociferousness that results from this car is something I suppose I'm not made to understand. As far as I know no one goes around saying things such as "wow, see that Mustang? not designed as a momentum car. It's useless."

and the engine, the continued wild speculation regarding the failure rates is astonishing to me, and the "need" to immediately engine swap. As far as I know, and some of the tech papers from Toyota stated that the outgoing model is a terminal chassis literally designed around the FA20 engine to keep the weight low, so why then would you put an inline or something other than a boxer into it?

While I can own up to me complaining and screaming out into the abyss, is all of this stuff pretty commonplace with car enthusiasts? I always thought it would be pretty fun to discuss parts/potential mods, but the car community, as a whole, has been a little off-putting. Or the, "you know you could have bought..."

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I know this is me venting and all, I get it. But when are people going to be tired of banging this same old drum? And how many teenagers have 35k lying around? Did I miss out on a childhood?

I'm in my 30's, have a BRZ, going to get the GR86 next year, and the notion that to own such a car as an adult is a preposterous act. As an adult I finally have a few dollars and continue to be fiscally irresponsible so I can do things like, afford this car.

The weird vociferousness that results from this car is something I suppose I'm not made to understand. As far as I know no one goes around saying things such as "wow, see that Mustang? not designed as a momentum car. It's useless."

and the engine, the continued wild speculation regarding the failure rates is astonishing to me, and the "need" to immediately engine swap. As far as I know, and some of the tech papers from Toyota stated that the outgoing model is a terminal chassis literally designed around the FA20 engine to keep the weight low, so why then would you put an inline or something other than a boxer into it?

While I can own up to me complaining and screaming out into the abyss, is all of this stuff pretty commonplace with car enthusiasts? I always thought it would be pretty fun to discuss parts/potential mods, but the car community, as a whole, has been a little off-putting. Or the, "you know you could have bought..."
Put a bunch of anonymous people on the internet with no repercussions... :)

It's common, and always has been. There are people that appreciate all types of cars - that understand the use case/reasoning behind it and respect it for what it is.

Buy what you like and enjoy it. People will always try and bring ya down in all aspects of life.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I live in a town overrun with diesel pickups and muscle cars and fully expect that people where I live won't 'get' what this car is all about. I could care less. I don't buy a car like this to impress other people, I buy it because of how I will enjoy it. I'm 57 years old and getting a Red premium GR86 so expect I will get a little flak about it. Again, I could care less. Not my fault if people are ignorant!;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
People who have families and need to have 4 doors but can't afford to have a fun car as well, can't understand why you would buy a coupe, even if you also have a family and already have a sedan or suv. There are also older single people that still can't understand why you are buying a smaller, lower powered foreign sports coupe instead of a domestic muscle car. These seem to be the people I see making statements like this about the GR\BRZ.

·
Registered
72 Posts
In high school I was driving a 73 hp Subaru. Funny thing is, I got way more out of (and in) that $500 wagon I painted up with ridiculous stuff than any of my friends who spent all their paychecks on muscle cars. Not only that, I learned how to surprise people in faster cars whose only response was stomping it like an oaf when the corners straightened out enough for them. Sure, I've looked into buying old mid-range exotics (when they were still somewhat affordable to buy), but I put the money into the house instead (turned out to be a smarter idea) because, for me, the most important thing in a car is for it to be fun to drive in the real world and be reliable and cheap enough that it's always available to drive and that I'm not afraid to do so. I don't have kids and won't, so the only issue with the lack of practicality is figuring out how to move the kayaks. At some point, I'll finish building my boat and need a vehicle to tow with, but until then, I'll have some fun with what is likely the last gasp of a simple, manual, fun car.

As for "car guys", I've rarely been friends with any and have never cared what they think (or too many other people, for that matter). Way too many of them don't know nearly as much as they act like they do nor do they even like more than a small subset of cars. For a lot of them, I think it's really just an insecurity compensator with cars their particular choice of peacock feathers, but that type is found in just about any hobby. Me, I can appreciate something from 1900, postwar microcars, or most anything else. I don't care if they're powered by electric, steam, or have a radial engine. I love mechanical stuff, love the history, the inventiveness, the failures, the bursts of brilliance. That goes for planes, bikes, guns, boats, whatever, though cars are my favorite.

·
Registered
2021 Toyota Supra
17 Posts
It's the internet...

People are badass behind a keyboard and wussies in real life. I catch so much flack online for owning the 2.0 Supra, but in "wild" I get nothing but compliments from people that see it. The only thing that matters is that you're happy with your purchase. People are douchebags...always have been and always will be. Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Interesting, in your 30s people scoff as if you're trying to act like a teenager. In your late 40s to 50s, people scoff as if you're trying to act like you're in your 30s. :sneaky:

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've never understood the notion of any brand new car being for teens. A normal teenager cannot afford a brand new car. I feel lucky enough to have gotten my '22 BRZ now in my early-mid 20s. There is no chance I could have done this as a teen.

Any person that's talking down on someone "older" owning a car like this is jealous because they stuck themselves into a generic crossover and are miserable driving it. Let people live and drive what they want.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
278 Posts
Being 40 I totally understand. But at the same time I have to say, todays $30k car is the equivalent of a $12k car when I was a teenager. The average car in the USA has a selling price of 44k according to cars.com.
By that measure 30k is well below average, dare I say cheap..!! Im ok with that. Its a fun daily driver. It wont be my fastest car, my nicest car, my best mpg, or my best looking car even. But its fun for the money. I can mod it, beat it, break it, then repeat without feeling too guilty. My son who is 18 just bought a new jeep that cost more than my BRZ, so I guess we are the opposite of that stereotype. HAHAHA

·
Registered
601 Posts

I mean realistically if you looked at this forum in the beginning you had a whole bunch of young people in here, with that you got a lot of overhyping/excitement, misinformation, etc. It kinda comes with the price range because it’s actually easy for them to get a hold of one, more easy then you think.

The previous generation kinda set the stage for that but every car has its positive/negative image.

But if you love the car it shouldn’t matter.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Another thing I should add -- if someone says this is a nice car for a teenager, they obviously don't understand how much fun a sports car can add to your life, no matter how old or how young you are. The same people saying such things probably didn't have much fun as teenagers either. They're just jealous because we know how to have fun!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Another thing I should add -- if someone says this is a nice car for a teenager, they obviously don't understand how much fun a sports car can add to your life, no matter how old or how young you are. The same people saying such things probably didn't have much fun as teenagers either. They're just jealous because we know how to have fun!
They say that just due to how many younger people actually get them and slam them. Lol. It’s actually very common on the used market. But it’s the same thing with the Miata, Civic Si, 350z etc.

·
Registered
331 Posts
LOL @ "teenager's car"
I'm 61 and I can't wait for my BRZ to arrive. the cars I have had in the past 15 years have all been 2 door fun cars from a BMW coupe to an 86 to an MX5 to a Mustang and now back to the BRZ.
I buy what makes me happy and the only reason I tried the MX5 and Mustang was that the BRZ or 86 at the time would basically have been what I had. I've been waiting SO long for this gen 2 to come out as the 86 I had was FAR more fun and enjoyable to drive than the MX5 or Mustang would ever be.

Buy what makes you happy and screw everyone else!

·
Super Moderator
679 Posts
Do not even sweat it.

Online forums and social media brings out the worst about people at times. I guarantee you that when you go to an actual club program meet or drive day, everyone is in reality all about the fun of owning a sports or really any car and using it for fun instead of transport.

No one cares about your age, your transmission, if you have a clapped out bomb of a car, or the latest 911 GT3.

You need to understand that at base level, people are out there allowing their emotions of jealousy and pride get the better of them so much when online and practically anonymous. Its not just car enthusiasts, its everything.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The same people saying such things probably didn't have much fun as teenagers either. They're just jealous because we know how to have fun!
Very true! My SO works for a retirement community and says the people who are fun-loving as retirees were fun-loving when they were young, and the grumpy old people were once grumpy young people!

Reactions: Blighty

·
Registered
11 Posts
Being 40 I totally understand. But at the same time I have to say, todays $30k car is the equivalent of a $12k car when I was a teenager. The average car in the USA has a selling price of 44k according to cars.com.
By that measure 30k is well below average, dare I say cheap..!! Im ok with that. Its a fun daily driver. It wont be my fastest car, my nicest car, my best mpg, or my best looking car even. But its fun for the money. I can mod it, beat it, break it, then repeat without feeling too guilty. My son who is 18 just bought a new jeep that cost more than my BRZ, so I guess we are the opposite of that stereotype. HAHAHA

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am 45 and am lucky enough to have my new brz sitting in the garage. It replaced an 81 corvette that I owned for 16 years. It doesn’t matter what you like or how old you are just choose what you can afford and have a blast! I also have a Citroen 2cv in garage with a 602cc air cooled 29hp 2 cylinder under the hood and have fun driving that too! The 2022 BRZ and the 2cv couldn’t be more different from each other and both put a smile on my face when I am behind the wheel. Ignore the internet know it all tough guys and go and burn some gas.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I also have a Citroen 2cv in garage with a 602cc air cooled 29hp 2 cylinder under the hood and have fun driving that too!
Citroen made some wild cars! My high school buddy had a maroon DS because his dad was into them. So weird it was cool!

Reactions: Duchess

·
Registered
37 Posts
It's a nice car for anyone who loves cars!

These Subayota twins are probably going to be some of the very last line of brand new rear wheel drive lightweight naturally aspirated two door coupe sports cars with available 6 speed manual transmissions until the governments forcibly shoves boring ass full electric vehicles down our throats. Definitely some of the last of a dying breed... Isn't Europe only getting them for 2 years only? That really sucks...

I'm not getting any younger & one day years from now I'll eventually be too old & crusty to drive, but until then I'm going to love driving a GR86 when I get it & enjoy my life right now, so who cares what anyone else thinks? Waited to get one of the last S2K CR's so that all the major issues were sorted out, but not going to wait with this car. I wanted the last gen 5 Viper as well but am too poor for one haha,

I am not going to miss out on the GR86...

1 - 20 of 72 Posts