Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

Is your GR86/BRZ living up to expectations?

• Yes! Every thing I dreamed it would be, and more!

Votes: 36 20.7%
  • Very happy. Just what I expected.

Votes: 62 35.6%
  • Nice, but....

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • I'm a little dissapointed, but I'll live with it

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Not as advertised. I'm looking for something else.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I didn't get mine yet. Verdict still out.

Votes: 59 33.9%
161 - 180 of 206 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
View attachment 11090
Sure seems like a Tuners car to me, and yes that does include drag racing if that is what you are interested in. A lightweight, rwd car, hmmm sure sounds like a good candidate for drag.
Tuner street cars and track cars suit this car's overall zeitgeist perfectly. So does focusing on it as a comfortable and nimble GT road car. You're missing an awful lot about the point of this car if you only consider it as a drag racing engine platform.
Pinto or a Vega pssh what's with you an ugly cars. I built a '69 Camaro that can do that. (Also not American :p)
View attachment 11087
A wheel-standing, tubbed 86 is basically as ugly as a wheel-standing, tubbed Pinto or Vega; that's why I offered the comparison. OMG, you're a blown Camaro bubba. "I tell yu whut Cleetus, I'd drop a blown small block chebby in thet thar Toy-ota an' I garan-damn-tee that little booger'll SCOOT!" :rolleyes: I've been wrestling with a pig in mud, failing to realize the pig enjoys it! :LOL:
Should I have left my 31' 5 window coupe all original as well? Instead of turning it into a 50's traditional drag car. (still in progress)
View attachment 11096
No, early V8 Fords are only famous and interesting because of their association with early hot rodding. They were cheap 15-20-year-old used cars that kids brought back to life by doing performance modifications on them. Similarly '49-'51 Mercs are only famous because of lead-sled kustoms that happened maybe after they were 5-10 years old.

Reactions: mike d

·
Registered
22 GR86 6MT; 22 Corolla
527 Posts
I’ve never even thought to drag race this thing 😅 The last time I seriously dragraced was when 4G63s and DSMs roamed the earth. This thing will never see a drop clutch launch its entire life I can promise you that. Damn, this makes me sound really flippin old 🤣🤣

·
Registered
60 Posts
Tuner street cars and track cars suit this car's overall zeitgeist perfectly. So does focusing on it as a comfortable and nimble GT road car. You're missing an awful lot about the point of this car if you only consider it as a drag racing engine platform.

A wheel-standing, tubbed 86 is basically as ugly as a wheel-standing, tubbed Pinto or Vega; that's why I offered the comparison. OMG, you're a blown Camaro bubba. "I tell yu whut Cleetus, I'd drop a blown small block chebby in thet thar Toy-ota an' I garan-damn-tee that little booger'll SCOOT!" :rolleyes: I've been wrestling with a pig in mud, failing to realize the pig enjoys it! :LOL:

No, early V8 Fords are only famous and interesting because of their association with early hot rodding. They were cheap 15-20-year-old used cars that kids brought back to life by doing performance modifications on them. Similarly '49-'51 Mercs are only famous because of lead-sled kustoms that happened maybe after they were 5-10 years old.
All this from a guy who buys an adventure bike that will never touch dirt. These cars make great drag cars, if you took 5 mins to search around you'd see they are very popular for all sorts of swaps and high hp builds.

Call me names, throw out insults, and personal attacks. Pretend all you want that your Toyota / Subi is a European sports car instead of a budget tuner car for teens/20 somethings, or those longing for the nostalgia of the 90s street racing/import scene.
Let's cut to the chase here... ...I wonder if you know, how they live in Tokyo? 🤡

·
Registered
60 Posts
I’ve never even thought to drag race this thing 😅 The last time I seriously dragraced was when 4G63s and DSMs roamed the earth. This thing will never see a drop clutch launch its entire life I can promise you that. Damn, this makes me sound really flippin old 🤣🤣
we all say that, until see get rev'd on at a light. Sooner or later you can't resist.. The dark side is strong.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
All this from a guy who buys an adventure bike that will never touch dirt.
If you think an F800GT is an adventure bike, you might need to do a little more reading before flapping your soup cooler.

This is my "adventure" bike, a 250cc sport bike with the belly fairing removed and 50/50 tires.

Reactions: Karlosak and mike d

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you think an F800GT is an adventure bike, you might need to do a little more reading before flapping your soup cooler.

This is my "adventure" bike, a 250cc sport bike with the belly fairing removed and 50/50 tires.
Seriously though. Do you even know what they do in tokoya?
Nah, racing on the street just isn’t my thing. That hasn’t been a thing for me for many years. I don’t want to be embarassed by an Sienna beating me at a light 🤣
One day, we'll have a gr86 meet up, 100% gonna egg you into a street race on the way to In n' out :p

"That hasn’t been a thing for me for many years" - That's what I say to myself every time someone asks me if I want a beer...right before I drink a beer :p

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
All this from a guy who buys an adventure bike that will never touch dirt. These cars make great drag cars, if you took 5 mins to search around you'd see they are very popular for all sorts of swaps and high hp builds.

Call me names, throw out insults, and personal attacks. Pretend all you want that your Toyota / Subi is a European sports car instead of a budget tuner car for teens/20 somethings, or those longing for the nostalgia of the 90s street racing/import scene.
Let's cut to the chase here... ...I wonder if you know, how they live in Tokyo? 🤡
Wow, I should have guessed you were a little spoiled teen 20 something. I got nothin. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
22 GR86 6MT; 22 Corolla
527 Posts
One day, we'll have a gr86 meet up, 100% gonna egg you into a street race on the way to In n' out :p

"That hasn’t been a thing for me for many years" - That's what I say to myself every time someone asks me if I want a beer...right before I drink a beer :p
Oh man you’re gonna think I’m a total snooze fest, I don’t drink alcohol either 🤣🤣 I think everyone should build their cars into what they want them to be, my wants and needs for the 86 probably don’t match up with what you want and that’s all right :) I got this because it’s a good track car that is pretty reliable. I’ve had lots of really fast cars before but they were all track focused. The plate on my last one was SLEEPY, I made it look 100% stock so people wouldn’t try to race me on the road 😆

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
The thread is about how is the GR86 living up to expectation.

Not sure if expectations were that you would get a ready made drag car. I'm not sure if its relevant, but I like the pictures :)
I guess we have to make room for those who were expecting the car to have 1800 more HP than it actually does. 😂

·
Registered
GR86, 2017 Mustang GT PP1
52 Posts
Yeah 400hp, or even 300hp for me in this car would be a bit much as I use it. Dont get me wrong, for others and yourself I mean go for it! Personally I'd love to take it for a spin, but not for my daily. I'm pretty pleased where it is - Absolute MAX I would think about would be 250 - I really don't want to be changing gears faster than I am honestly. Like I said before I'd raise the redline a smidge (another 200-300) and remap the throttle response and potentially a flex fuel tune.

Just to level here, I don't harbour fantasies about more powerful cars. I do VERY much like hopping in and old bomb with a stick. Any stick car to be honest, I'll jump at the opportunity to dive them just to feel the uniqueness. Part of why I've never liked auto, every manual gearbox is different - the amount of clutch you need, the length of the throw, the noise, the gate feel, how much torque gets transferred to the gear shifter when you put the foot down.

Sometimes I'll go out in my car and drive it as gently as possible, just focusing on everything about the drive. Perhaps I am a closet auto asmr person :)
I agree every manual car is fun. I had a 1965 Ford 250 pickup with a four on the floor. The granny first gear was enjoyable because it was a challenge. It typically wouldn't shift into first very easily. It was also a really long throw to first gear, almost hitting the dash with your knuckles at the end. After driving this old Ford for a while I figured out that the best way to get it into first gear with no grinding or extra effort was to shift into first as I rolled to a stop - just before the vehicle stopped rolling. I loved the feeling when it slid perfectly into first as the engine RPM and transmission RPM matched. That was a fun vehicle to drive - it wasn't fast but I always felt BUSY if you know what I mean.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

The shifter on the GR86 feels like Subaru spent a lot of time making it work really well. It also feels like they didn't skimp or cheap out on materials. It's a real pleasure to operate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oh man you’re gonna think I’m a total snooze fest, I don’t drink alcohol either 🤣🤣 I think everyone should build their cars into what they want them to be, my wants and needs for the 86 probably don’t match up with what you want and that’s all right :) I got this because it’s a good track car that is pretty reliable. I’ve had lots of really fast cars before but they were all track focused. The plate on my last one was SLEEPY, I made it look 100% stock so people wouldn’t try to race me on the road 😆
Hahaha I don't drink much either, nice, I love sleepers all my car's except for when the Camaro had that 871 on it (can't really hide that) have always been sleepers.

·
Registered
22 GR86 6MT; 22 Corolla
527 Posts
Hahaha I don't drink much either, nice, I love sleepers all my car's except for when the Camaro had that 871 on it (can't really hide that) have always been sleepers.
Those definitely are hard to hide, especially if I spot one with the 1LE package. Those things are just insane monsters.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The thread is about how is the GR86 living up to expectation.

Not sure if expectations were that you would get a ready made drag car. I'm not sure if its relevant, but I like the pictures :)
hahahah I hadn't even thought of it until this thread, then ya'll started complaining about people wanting more power, so I was like hmm let me see what other people are doing with their 86's, and found a wonderful world of 2jz swaps, and drag focused 86/BRZ/etc builds that put a huge smile on my face.

:whistle:

·
Registered
22 GR86 6MT; 22 Corolla
527 Posts
Anyways back to the GR86 meeting my expectations :)
So far I'm pleased as punch with it. It fixed what few issues I had with the last one and has became a much more pleasant machine for what I wanted it for 'track duty, less than 300bhp'. It's a machine that I can have fun with in the mountains, drive at a decent speed at the track, and it doesn't have enough power to hurt my neck 'for the most part'. I got the base because I knew exactly what I wanted to replace based on the last 86 I owned. The only part missing is the HKS Spec L exhaust I ordered back in Jan. Once that sucker comes in this will be pretty close to complete.

161 - 180 of 206 Posts