Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

Is your GR86/BRZ living up to expectations?

• Yes! Every thing I dreamed it would be, and more!

Votes: 36 20.7%
  • Very happy. Just what I expected.

Votes: 62 35.6%
  • Nice, but....

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • I'm a little dissapointed, but I'll live with it

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Not as advertised. I'm looking for something else.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I didn't get mine yet. Verdict still out.

Votes: 59 33.9%
141 - 160 of 206 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,484 Posts
It costs a lot of money to make a car light with high HP. I'm glad the GR86 costs what it does. Really though even 400 hp would be good in this car.

There is a throttle pedal. It can be in other positions besides flat to the floor. Throttle control is just another fun thing to learn in a car. When you have no power you can just mat the pedal anytime. With lots of power you have to ease in gently, paying a lot of attention to the car.

More power just means things happen faster, which to me is exciting. But it is fun learning to drive a momentum car on track. Very different from driving a higher HP car, but still a lot of fun.
Yeah 400hp, or even 300hp for me in this car would be a bit much as I use it. Dont get me wrong, for others and yourself I mean go for it! Personally I'd love to take it for a spin, but not for my daily. I'm pretty pleased where it is - Absolute MAX I would think about would be 250 - I really don't want to be changing gears faster than I am honestly. Like I said before I'd raise the redline a smidge (another 200-300) and remap the throttle response and potentially a flex fuel tune.

Just to level here, I don't harbour fantasies about more powerful cars. I do VERY much like hopping in and old bomb with a stick. Any stick car to be honest, I'll jump at the opportunity to dive them just to feel the uniqueness. Part of why I've never liked auto, every manual gearbox is different - the amount of clutch you need, the length of the throw, the noise, the gate feel, how much torque gets transferred to the gear shifter when you put the foot down.

Sometimes I'll go out in my car and drive it as gently as possible, just focusing on everything about the drive. Perhaps I am a closet auto asmr person :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Knowing that, if I were you I would not have purchased this car. You needed a car with FI and +100 HP.

This thread is called, "Is your GR86/BRZ living up to expectations?" I'm not sure why you would have expected it to have the performance to match your application.
I'm not sure why I bother responding at this point. If you read my previous messages I already defined why I purchased this car, numerous times. At no point did I say this car didn't meet my expectations, on the contrary, I said it exceeded it with some exceptions that I'm not going to bother to outline again; you can go back and read the previous posts.

In addition, the thread also included a poll with the following option "Nice, but.... " hence me stating what intend to improve.

When I'm done with it, it will be exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
I got nothing against modifying the car, and I've got nothing against leaving it stock. I'm sure it's a great starting point for lots of power and race-ability mods. Depends on what you are going to use it for. Seems kinda silly to mod the hell out of it, just to drive down State Street and impress your friends. On the other hand. if you want power and race... go nuts. (sometimes I feel like a nut. ...some times i don't). :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got nothing against modifying the car, and I've got nothing against leaving it stock. I'm sure it's a great starting point for lots of power and race-ability mods. Depends on what you are going to use it for. Seems kinda silly to mod the hell out of it, just to drive down State Street and impress your friends. On the other hand. if you want power and race... go nuts. (sometimes I feel like a nut. ...some times i don't). :ROFLMAO:
Why would you assume my motivation is to "drive down State Street and impress your friends"? 1st - That assumes I have friends; thank you. 2nd - There is no state street where I live. 3rd - I already stated why I'm looking to build the car out the way am.

There is a fundamental difference between our views.

You came to this car looking for a replacement for this...
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Sky
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Plant

I came to it because I grew up racing cars like or against these.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Hood

To me the guy looking to impress their friends is the one that does all the body mods, and things to make the car stand out. You have me confused, I'm all about go with very subtle to no show and it's for no one but myself.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,484 Posts
^^^ to all the above cars posting, all those cars in stock form :sleep:

oh geeze let me get out my tweed hat and monocle, This is a Toyota gr86 / Subi BRZ forum. I think you have this car confused for something that it isn't.
I have a 5 spare tweed hats and another monocle you can borrow.

I assume you have suit tails, as you didn't ask.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
BTW, I came to this car looking for a replacement for my Jeep Wrangler. :ROFLMAO: And I enjoyed my Civic Si, and read all the reviews and thought it would be great. That's all.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
@Br86 I love a good wheel stand as much as the next red-blooded American but sorry, this is literally the stupidest shit you could possibly do to this car! WTH, just get yourself a '74 Pinto or Vega and knock yourself out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
@Br86 I love a good wheel stand as much as the next red-blooded American but sorry, this is literally the stupidest shit you could possibly do to this car! WTH, just get yourself a '74 Pinto or Vega and knock yourself out.
My mistake I didn't realize this car was designed to live out Great Gatsby meets Austin Powers fantasies
Yaa Babyyy did you see me take that 25mph corner at 25mph
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

This is how Toyota markets the gr86 - GR Cup | Toyota.com

Car Vehicle Tire Wheel Automotive tire

Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky

Doesn't seem like Toyota designed this car with Sunday drives and tea and crumpets in mind. Sure seems like a Tuners car to me, and yes that does include drag racing if that is what you are interested in. A lightweight, rwd car, hmmm sure sounds like a good candidate for drag.

Pinto or a Vega pssh what's with you an ugly cars. I built a '69 Camaro that can do that. (Also not American :p)
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

Should I have left my 31' 5 window coupe all original as well? Instead of turning it into a 50's traditional drag car. (still in progress)
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
^^^ to all the above cars posting, all those cars in stock form :sleep:

oh geeze let me get out my tweed hat and monocle, This is a Toyota gr86 / Subi BRZ forum. I think you have this car confused for something that it isn't.

We need more of this

and less this "Ohhh philllippp, don't be such a bore"
View attachment 11074

Kinda broke right now bro. Need to save up. Not everyone rich like you. I'm eating sandwiches and can food.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kinda broke right now bro. Need to save up. Not everyone rich like you. I'm eating sandwiches and can food.
Bummer, I'd suggest watching SPCE, it's a hype stock that likes to dance around between 5-7$ lately, also I'd add ramen to that list. If you mix Shrimp and Chicken packets it's pretty good.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Let's get real. The only modification the car needs is...... (and before anyone bitches about the rego plate... They still haven't released the GR86 here and the plates are from my old MY15 86, so get over it) :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 11118
I was like hmmm you're onto something, then I saw you are from AU.. and then the PTSD from all the aussies that came here to work and party for the ski season kicked in..

Kiethaaa? Is that you?! 😅

141 - 160 of 206 Posts