Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

Is your GR86/BRZ living up to expectations?

• Yes! Every thing I dreamed it would be, and more!

Votes: 38 20.4%
  • Very happy. Just what I expected.

Votes: 67 36.0%
  • Nice, but....

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • I'm a little dissapointed, but I'll live with it

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Not as advertised. I'm looking for something else.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I didn't get mine yet. Verdict still out.

Votes: 62 33.3%
1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really curious, because so many active members here still haven't recieved their cars.
What's the verdict?
This will probably be a better gauge of ownership experience than all the youtube vids I could ever find. :ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,516 Posts
Its perfect.

I'm comming from a long term OG 86 though, so its more of the same with the engine made better. Which is basically the only want I had. Its actually made me want to upgrade all the other bits on the car and make it my own - last time all I wanted to do was upgrade the engine!

·
Registered
22 GR86 6MT; 22 Corolla
531 Posts
I really like it. It performs quite well on the track, looks fantastic, has a great manual, and has a lot of personality. If I had one thing I'd want to change it would be the engine. I absolutely hate Subaru engines and got the car in spite of it. This ones definitely better than the last gen 86 but I still do not like this engine one bit. If this had a proper Toyota I4/I3 in it this would be absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
‘22 Premium Track bRed GR86
13 Posts
This is my first true sports car. Previously I drove sedans(15 and 18 Accord leases before buying a 18 Mazda 6 last year) and this car has blown me out of the water. It is so fun to drive. I have enjoyed driving it in the city and out on the country roads. I also watched every possible review before I bought it, and was skeptical that it could truly deliver- but it absolutely has!

·
Registered
22 GR86 6MT; 22 Corolla
531 Posts
This is my first true sports car. Previously I drove sedans(15 and 18 Accord leases before buying a 18 Mazda 6 last year) and this car has blown me out of the water. It is so fun to drive. I have enjoyed driving it in the city and out on the country roads. I also watched every possible review before I bought it, and was skeptical that it could truly deliver- but it absolutely has!
These are superb first-time sports cars. It's a car that will teach you how to drive it. The manual is easy to learn, it has terrific feedback, low centre of gravity and can rotate with ease. There's also endless aftermarket support so you can make this into whatever your heart desires. It's a very big difference going from FWD to RWD for the first time, having dedicated wheels for power delivery and the front tyres used just for steering really brings out a lot of the character of the car.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I didn't expect much. I was only looking for one as a temporary car to hold me over. If the economy wasn't heading down the drain, I probably wouldn't be in such a car, but I ended up really liking the car. I ended up cancelling a V8 car and rolling with the GR86 for now. I do want to get the car in another color, and will be ordering an appropriate set of wheels and tires to give the car a bit more pop. Advan wheels, just waiting on car color confirmation so I can decide on style plus color choice.

Depending on how the world goes in these next 6-12 months, I may jump ship or not. There'll be more opportunities to buy GR86's, not so much V8's since they're on their way out and I may want to have one in the garage.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I had a MY15 86 for 3 1/2 years and loved it. I just couldn't see the point in replacing it with basically the same car.
I replaced it with a MX-5, which I barely kept for a year, then I went to a Mustang that I managed to keep for 2 years, then tried an i30N-Line while I waited for the BRZ to be released and it lasted a year.
The 2022 BRZ is perfection to me and I can see me keeping it for quite a few years. No intention of selling it any time soon, which for me is saying a lot.
I have had 32 cars and 5 motorcycles in the 45 years I have been driving.

·
Registered
GR86, 2017 Mustang GT PP1
52 Posts
I'm in between "Very happy just what I expected" and "It's nice, but". I really like the GR86. IMO the shifter is excellent and the chassis is quite good. I wouldn't mind if it were a little lower to the ground, so I may end up swapping springs at some point. The other slight nit I have to pick on the car is the engine. It's fine. There's nothing wrong with it. But I wish the engine were a little better. It seems to be tuned heavily towards low end torque and you just ride it out to the high revs without a significant power increase. I bought the car as a winter/daily and I think it's really great for that purpose. I suppose I will know better once I actually drive it in low traction situations. My best guess is it will actually be more fun when there's less traction.

Of course, I'm comparing the engine to my past vehicles, so I'm probably being a little unfair. After owning a GT350, the V8 in my Mustang GT also disappoints me a little.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,516 Posts
I'm in between "Very happy just what I expected" and "It's nice, but". I really like the GR86. IMO the shifter is excellent and the chassis is quite good. I wouldn't mind if it were a little lower to the ground, so I may end up swapping springs at some point. The other slight nit I have to pick on the car is the engine. It's fine. There's nothing wrong with it. But I wish the engine were a little better. It seems to be tuned heavily towards low end torque and you just ride it out to the high revs without a significant power increase. I bought the car as a winter/daily and I think it's really great for that purpose. I suppose I will know better once I actually drive it in low traction situations. My best guess is it will actually be more fun when there's less traction.

Of course, I'm comparing the engine to my past vehicles, so I'm probably being a little unfair. After owning a GT350, the V8 in my Mustang GT also disappoints me a little.
Seating position wise, or are you after less clearance? I feel its a touch higher in the cabin and cant get quite low enough, not currently willing to replace the seats for it though :)

Yeah going down in power will always leave you missing it, though over time and then later giving a tune will get you out of that feeling. I will say though that no matter what the marketing material says, its really not that different of a torque curve than last time, just not really as noticeable now that there is actual torque. It stays within 5% of its peak all the way to 7000k, which means the power curve is quite linear. For example, you are generating 110-115hp at 3500revs, and 228hp at 7000.

·
Registered
22' Steel GR86 6MT
194 Posts
Hmm this is a tough one.

Don't get me wrong, in stock form, this car is fun to drive but I will say it's been over hyped. And I get why...there aren't many cheap manual sports cars to choose from. So when one comes out that is good overall, attributes get exaggerated.

Things that didn't meet expectations:
  • Steering isn't as direct with lots of feedback as I was expecting. Could chalk this up to EPS, but from what I've read from owners the 1st gen is much better in this area...which also had EPS.
  • With the base model, the Primacy tires are fun but too squishy to constitute something I would consider to be "on rails" handling. Many people have complained that the GR86 is too stiff, but i found it to be too soft.
  • The engine. Its quick but does not FEEL fast...to me. Which is surprising given it's lightweight nature. When I watch reviewers giggle as they accelerate in a straight line I have to double check to make sure I'm watching a GR86 review. It needs 30-40 more HP/TQ, and yes the torque dip is noticeably there. Combining the noises you get from the engine/transmission, just putting around town it sometimes feels like I'm driving an old truck 😂...ironic & also not what I expected.
Have since installed RCE SS1 coil overs & plan to get rid of the Primacy tires soon, so the handling is almost where I want it.

Everything else is as expected: the headunit is quick & works, interior is fine, exterior looks great & much better in person

·
Registered
55 Posts
Don’t have my car yet. Ordered last month.

This will be my first sports car and I’m pretty excited. Outside of test drives I only have significant time in regular 90’s-2000’s appliance cars. Forestor (my current car), Altima, civic, etc.

It might not be the most impressive car but it will still be way better than what I’m used to. I’ve never had a daily less than 10 years old, let alone something sporty and cool.

Basically I’m easy to please lol

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
401 Posts
I'd be happy with it if it didn't take so long to get parts. I'm nearly 2 months now waiting on a replacement windshield. I know, Yada Yada, supply chain, but if I can't source critical components in a short time frame, what's the point?

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,918 Posts
I am the minority in saying I feel the car was way over hyped. I have owned everything from 1200HP drag cars, to a 170HP miata. Several makes, models, street cars, drag cars, road course and auto x cars. I feel the car is still underpowered. It does handle really well. The light weight and aggressive (almost too much) gearing help it get off the line really quick, but after about 60mph there just isnt much left. I have considered selling the car and still would if an offer fell in my lap. But I am not actively trying. Plan is to add a supercharger and it will be great. 300WHP is where this car will be just right. More will be easy to get, but just end up needing tons of supporting mods and Im not looking to fall in that rabbit hole with this car. Luckily it looks good, sounds good with exhaust and fits me well.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I love my '22 BRZ Limited six-speed manual. I've had more expensive cars (991.2 GT3, 981 GT4, C6 ZR1 (current), CT5-V Blackwing (current)) and love driving the BRZ. It's a lot of fun to drive, you have to work a bit harder for the speed, but it's rewarding. Feels high quality, great handling, great brakes, great engine, etc. Overall, very happy with my $31k ish purchase. A lot of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought mine basically because my local dealer had a red/manual/premium coming and didn't have a sports car at the time so figured I could drive it for a while and sell for about what I paid. Did 4 track days in the first 4 months and really is quite an impressive car on track. Did tires/brakes/camber so didn't spend a ton on mods, and agree with above that it is a screaming deal for bang for the buck in the fun department, especially on track.
I too have had many more expensive sports cars (NSX, FD RX7, 991.1 GT3, Cayman, GT350, ZL1, M3) but also have owned 10 Mazda Miatas so I have a definite weak spot for light weight, good handling, fun cars. It is hard to think of another car that can touch this one for bang for the buck. I had a 13' FRS and the 22' fixes all that I didn't like about the 13' mostly in the power/torque department.
I have had my fun and some research shows I can easily sell for what I have in the car. I have a GR Corolla on order and will likely go that route next.

As a street car it isn't bad, but really pretty poor mpg for a light weight NA 4cyl (24 mpg hand calculated on my commute), still feels pretty slow unless you are revving it out, and still fairly limited practicality although way better than a miata. Not a fan of the clutch takeup and find the car generally more difficult to shift smoothly than recent manuals I have had. Throttle is also incredibly non-linear to make it feel fast (75% throttle in first 30% of pedal travel) and the stereo system is pretty mediocre. Thats about it....if you love doing track days and have $33k to spend, this is your car!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Still waiting on mine. As long as it's at least as fun as my 1985 Celica Supra I'll be pretty happy. This thing on paper should be much faster, however I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of the low profile tires. These things can be changed though.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts