Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

Is this a good deal? Reserved a GR86 currently sitting at port.

6K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  VanixIsHere 
#1 ·
Hey all, hoping that I will soon be part of this wonderful community. I wanted to get some opinions on whether this is a good deal relative to what others are going through.

I recently sent my interest in getting a 2023 GR86 to a bunch of local dealers. Out of 5 responses, one dealer got back to me with an actual quote for a vehicle sitting in port. It ticks most of my boxes that I wanted. It's an AT since that is what I'm used to (considered learning manual but decided against it) and it's a premium trim. It's a red one- which isn't my first choice. I would absolutely prefer Neptune blue, but I think I may grow to like the red when I see it in person.

I put down a refundable $1000 to reserve the vehicle and have it sent from the port to the dealer. From there I can actually test drive the vehicle; so I know I actually like what I'm buying. It's been very difficult finding one in my area to drive, as I'm sure most people are aware.

Anyway- this is the breakdown of the price they sent me.

$34,432.00 (BREAKDOWN -> MSRP: $32,000 - Factory Accessories: $425 - Port Accessories: $912 - Delivery processing: $1,095)
$399 Accessories
$422 Document Prep Fee
$186 License/Title
$5 Tire/Battery/VTR Fee
$2,090 Sales Tax (6%)

Total -> $37,534.83

Now I realize there may be some questionable charges. Not sure what the $399 additional accessory quote is. I could have probably argued against some of the port accessories, but I figure since I haven't 100% committed to the purchase that I didn't have a say in those installations. Also the MSRP is definitely not the right price. I assume their markup is in there.

But am I wrong to think this is a reasonable quote? Provided they dont try to sidewind me with some random fees after test driving. I'm very skeptical of the car buying process so it feels somewhat weird after seeing some other people post here with quotes at 39k and even some in the 40k+ range.
Any opinions would be great :)

See less See more
#4 ·
I'd be irritated by that $5.00 tire/battery fee and the document prep fee. Why are you having to pay (even only $5.00) for a tire and battery fee when you're not disposing of those items? And why does it require $422.00 to prep some paper? That's the best pay for not doing sh!t ratio ever... I want one of these cars too, also in Neptune Blue (but manual), and refuse to pay any amount of money unless the car is absolutely everything I want, no compromises. In the end us consumers are spending the money, not the dealer, and not the port, so they don't care. They're making the money off ridiculous fees that are nonsense. Don't ever compromise. I won't be getting one of these until 2024 unfortunately, but that'll at least give time for the hype, fees, and shortages to go away some. Good luck.

#6 ·
Appreciate the response. I will definitely dispute some of the fees to see if they can rip some of the garbage out. The shortages should hopefully resolve in the next 1-2 years once microchip production has a chance to rebound.

When I first saw this post, I thought the doc fee was high. However, it is non-negotiable. The OP can look up the fee for the state he is buying the car in to make sure he is not being over-charged. The dealer also charges sales tax on the doc fee, which I did not know. (source: edmunds.com)
Thank you for the advice! I did not know that. Looked up my state's average doc fee and it seems this may be very slightly over average. Doesn't seem worth it to dispute a few bucks especially if it's knowingly non-negotiable.

#7 · (Edited)
Sounds like you are getting the car at MSRP with a small processing fee - which is a good price considering the lack of inventory in general, and of these cars in particular. It also aligns with the average price paid by most people based on Edmunds or Truecar.

if you want the car, I would suggest getting it now rather than waiting for an year or two for prices and inventory to ease and get closer to historic norms of being closer to invoice price.

#10 ·
Despite what most are saying, this appears to be a pretty good deal. Not sure what the factory/port accessories are but that is probably a case of it is what it is. The $422 doc fee and the $399 dealer accessory fee appear to be the only significant Extra Dealer Profit numbers. The doc fee is annoying but not outlandish. In another market, you may have been able to negotiate it out - but probably not in this one. Same goes for the dealer accessory fee - at the very least I would want to know what it is (probably some ridiculous rust coating).

#11 · (Edited)
Yeah unfortunately with how hard it is to find this vehicle, I feel less inclined to argue over some of the additional add-ons. The dealers no doubt know this. I've attached the specifics of the add-ons for the breakdown. Some of the items I'm fine with (All weather mats / rear bumper applique / homelink mirror) but would I have chosen to spend $215 on black lug nuts? Probably not.

Edit: In case I wasn't clear, these are only the accessories from the factory and port- it does not specify the dealer accessories charge.

Attachments

#13 ·
Seems more reasonable than most. Why are they charging you 425 for state emissions though? What are the other non factory or port Accessories? I think if you want the car I would do it. Not exactly a deal since those don't exist in this market, but doesn't seem like a blatant rip off.

#18 ·
Its because dealerships are franchises of the manufacturers. Volvo has a subscription, “Care By Volvo.”
It’s All-inclusive.
One monthly payment includes the maintenance, protection for tires, wheels, and excessive wear. Volvo also takes care of the insurance coverage. It is not available in California, New York, and Florida due to dealer franchise laws designed to stop automakers from dealing directly with consumers.

#29 ·
It’s fine. Idk why everyone getting bent out of shape over $500 on a $32,000 car. As long as the accessories are actual material things, it’s all good.

$500 is 1.5% on a $32,000 car. Do you want one or not? Lol

Also before the “$500 is a lot of money blah blah”… if $500 makes or breaks your ability to buy this car, then you can’t afford it.

#30 ·
I guess it's just a matter of what the dealership is selling reasonably vs what they're putting in and hoping you don't see the charge and dispute it. I don't mind paying for the all weather floor mats, for example. $500 won't technically change much in terms of affordability, but why let them get away with stupid charges?

Also saving $500 doesn't seem like much but considering I'll need winter tires soon, that is extra money I would love to have for a practical purpose.

#37 ·
MSRP for premium AT is $32k. $425 is paint (red/white) and the $399 is a dealer add-on/markup. a $400 markup is about the lowest you'll find for a car that's actually available.

pretty good deal. though I would still try to get the $399 removed, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.