Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Seems more reasonable than most. Why are they charging you 425 for state emissions though? What are the other non factory or port Accessories? I think if you want the car I would do it. Not exactly a deal since those don't exist in this market, but doesn't seem like a blatant rip off.
i was thinking about what that was and since its FIO thats something installed at the factory not an option installed at the port or dealer... then i remembered my halo had a 425 fee for "special paint" and i remember another color has that as well. is it bRed?

·
Registered
250 Posts
i was thinking about what that was and since its FIO thats something installed at the factory not an option installed at the port or dealer... then i remembered my halo had a 425 fee for "special paint" and i remember another color has that as well. is it bRed?
actually reading it over again the emissions says 0.00 and the 425 fee is the next line with no details. pretty sure its the color

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I first saw this post, I thought the doc fee was high. However, it is non-negotiable. The OP can look up the fee for the state he is buying the car in to make sure he is not being over-charged. The dealer also charges sales tax on the doc fee, which I did not know. (source: edmunds.com)
Doc fee is pure profit and most definitely is negotiable, . They will always show the doc fee as separate, but you can have them reduce the selling price by the amount of the doc fee.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Doc fee is pure profit and most definitely is negotiable, . They will always show the doc fee as separate, but you can have them reduce the selling price by the amount of the doc fee.
Maybe in other markets, probably not in this one.

By the way, to clear up any misconceptions, the total cost of the car is negotiable. It doesn't matter what you call it - doc fee, options, mark-up - money is FUNGIBLE. The question is not whether the doc fee is negotiable, or the options are negotiable, etc. - its the PRICE that is (sometimes) negotiable. In prior markets, where dealers were worried about the costs of inventory sitting on their lots, things tended to be very negotiable. Now, not so much.

As for the OP's original question, this appears to be a relatively good deal for a car in pretty high demand. It is MSRP including factory options (dealer had no control over) and 399 in dealer options (don't know what they are - but certainly overpriced including a good deal amount of EDP) and the doc fee. That's it. So arguably there is no "markup" but at most it is $600 - 700 - which is not a terrible deal in this market period.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Maybe in other markets, probably not in this one.

By the way, to clear up any misconceptions, the total cost of the car is negotiable. It doesn't matter what you call it - doc fee, options, mark-up - money is FUNGIBLE. The question is not whether the doc fee is negotiable, or the options are negotiable, etc. - its the PRICE that is (sometimes) negotiable. In prior markets, where dealers were worried about the costs of inventory sitting on their lots, things tended to be very negotiable. Now, not so much.

As for the OP's original question, this appears to be a relatively good deal for a car in pretty high demand. It is MSRP including factory options (dealer had no control over) and 399 in dealer options (don't know what they are - but certainly overpriced including a good deal amount of EDP) and the doc fee. That's it. So arguably there is no "markup" but at most it is $600 - 700 - which is not a terrible deal in this market period.
Appreciate the concise opinion. I think given the market, I may choose not to argue down the price. It'll save myself a substantial amount of stress on the day I test drive the car. Provided I like it of course. :) Thanks again.

·
Registered
171 Posts
It’s fine. Idk why everyone getting bent out of shape over $500 on a $32,000 car. As long as the accessories are actual material things, it’s all good.

$500 is 1.5% on a $32,000 car. Do you want one or not? Lol

Also before the “$500 is a lot of money blah blah”… if $500 makes or breaks your ability to buy this car, then you can’t afford it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It’s fine. Idk why everyone getting bent out of shape over $500 on a $32,000 car. As long as the accessories are actual material things, it’s all good.

$500 is 1.5% on a $32,000 car. Do you want one or not? Lol

Also before the “$500 is a lot of money blah blah”… if $500 makes or breaks your ability to buy this car, then you can’t afford it.
I guess it's just a matter of what the dealership is selling reasonably vs what they're putting in and hoping you don't see the charge and dispute it. I don't mind paying for the all weather floor mats, for example. $500 won't technically change much in terms of affordability, but why let them get away with stupid charges?

Also saving $500 doesn't seem like much but considering I'll need winter tires soon, that is extra money I would love to have for a practical purpose.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I guess it's just a matter of what the dealership is selling reasonably vs what they're putting in and hoping you don't see the charge and dispute it. I don't mind paying for the all weather floor mats, for example. $500 won't technically change much in terms of affordability, but why let them get away with stupid charges?

Also saving $500 doesn't seem like much but considering I'll need winter tires soon, that is extra money I would love to have for a practical purpose.
I’m just not sure why this is posted when there are people here who have been waiting 6-9 months and still have no car. If it’s +/- $500 just buy the damn thing lol. Hope you didn’t post the dealers info cause while you’re waffling someone might swoop in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I’m just not sure why this is posted when there are people here who have been waiting 6-9 months and still have no car. If it’s +/- $500 just buy the damn thing lol. Hope you didn’t post the dealers info cause while you’re waffling someone might swoop in.
I said I put a deposit down in the original post and I'm waiting for it to be delivered to the dealer from the port, so I've pretty much done all I can do at this point. This was posted to get opinions from people who have been shopping around longer than I. Why are you surprised that I'm asking about dealer prices in the 2022+ Toyota GR86 Dealers, Prices And Orders section?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I said I put a deposit down in the original post and I'm waiting for it to be delivered to the dealer from the port, so I've pretty much done all I can do at this point. This was posted to get opinions from people who have been shopping around longer than I. Why are you surprised that I'm asking about dealer prices in the 2022+ Toyota GR86 Dealers, Prices And Orders section?
Because your car is MSRP. What’s there to ask about? The dealer will explain what those accessories are.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Because your car is MSRP. What’s there to ask about? The dealer will explain what those accessories are.
MSRP is $30,500 according to Toyota's website- not $32,000.

I get you've got more money bro but these things matter to people. I don't have a $90k budget (as your post history indicates). This is my second vehicle purchase ever. First was a $10k used Honda Fit over 7 years ago, so I'm unfamiliar with the cost-to-value of new vehicles. Plus dealers are notorious for arbitrarily adding markup and upselling overpriced accessories hoping they get a buyer such as you that won't notice or doesn't care. It's a business, and I'm doing my due diligence by asking GR86 enthusiasts to help assess my quote.

·
Registered
144 Posts

I get you've got more money bro but these things matter to people. I don't have a $90k budget (as your post history indicates). This is my second vehicle purchase ever. First was a $10k used Honda Fit over 7 years ago, so I'm unfamiliar with the cost-to-value of new vehicles. Plus dealers are notorious for arbitrarily adding markup and upselling overpriced accessories hoping they get a buyer such as you that won't notice or doesn't care. It's a business, and I'm doing my due diligence by asking GR86 enthusiasts to help assess my quote.
I don't know about the difference between the 30,500 and 32,000 listed on the sticker (is it the change in model year price change?) - but the dealer sure as hell didn't alter the window sticker (that's a SERIOUS no-no).

As has been stated many times, the only thing on this deal that isn't MSRP is the $422 doc fee and $399 dealer accessory fee (after we figured out the $425 was the premium paint fee). And frankly, to me, I would consider both to be reasonably within the meaning of MSRP as most dealers would use. The key is there is no line-item "market adjustment" figure. So, in this market, as-is, it is a pretty good deal. If you can negotiate for less - GREAT! But like it or not, the dealer is essentially offering you that car at MSRP. And as you should know from other threads, posts - that is actually a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
171 Posts

That’s not entirely true. MSRP is always what is listed on the manufacturers site plus destination and accessories / options. Destination is always passed on to the buyer. I believe it’s $1095 in this case.

MSRP will always fluctuate based on each particular car / dealer. Some dealers may charge a $400 doc fee, others maybe a $600 doc fee. Each car will have different options, each manufacturer will have a different destination fee.

·
Registered
'22 bRed GR86 Premium MT
180 Posts
MSRP for premium AT is $32k. $425 is paint (red/white) and the $399 is a dealer add-on/markup. a $400 markup is about the lowest you'll find for a car that's actually available.

pretty good deal. though I would still try to get the $399 removed, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker.

·
Registered
'22 bRed GR86 Premium MT
180 Posts

$30,500 for the MT. AT is $1500 more and always has been

21 - 39 of 39 Posts