Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I always wanted more displacement to make this a better NA car and that's exactly what they did.
Yeah I agree, with owning the previous car the only time it felt slow was when I would get someone who would ricer flyby me or from right off the line racing, but even then it wasn't terrible as the power to weight ratio in the car was fantastic. I would love when mazda speed 3s would pull up and rev then get walked by my 86 as before I got rid of it it was tuned, cld air intake, headers and full exhaust. Never got a chance to Dyno but it was quick and fun.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think the real story for this car will be the torque and torque curve. I think torque is up something like 25%. That's HUGE. And if they increased it in the right spots, it'll be even more impressive.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Its not just the extra torque. Its also where the torque peak is in the rev range. On the 2.0 it is 151 LBS at 6100 RPM. On the 2.4 its 184 LBS at 3700 RPM. That is where the huge difference is. Therefore in a way this can be (I'm reaching here a little bit)compared to an average 4 cylinder turbo motor. Of course there are a few exceptions. Generally there is a degree of turbo lag off the line and then strong mid range torque with a tailing off above 5000 RPM. In the new BRZ I would guess there is some power off the line but the real torque hits past 2000 RPM. However this torque probably is then fairly solid to red line or near red line. This is how Subaru solves torque issues without going to a turbo.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Yeah I agree, with owning the previous car the only time it felt slow was when I would get someone who would ricer flyby me or from right off the line racing, but even then it wasn't terrible as the power to weight ratio in the car was fantastic. I would love when mazda speed 3s would pull up and rev then get walked by my 86 as before I got rid of it it was tuned, cld air intake, headers and full exhaust. Never got a chance to Dyno but it was quick and fun.
How it powers out of turns will be the biggest benefit for me.

;)

I think the real story for this car will be the torque and torque curve. I think torque is up something like 25%. That's HUGE. And if they increased it in the right spots, it'll be even more impressive.
With enough track time, that 25% will really show itself.

Its not just the extra torque. Its also where the torque peak is in the rev range. On the 2.0 it is 151 LBS at 6100 RPM. On the 2.4 its 184 LBS at 3700 RPM. That is where the huge difference is. Therefore in a way this can be (I'm reaching here a little bit)compared to an average 4 cylinder turbo motor. Of course there are a few exceptions. Generally there is a degree of turbo lag off the line and then strong mid range torque with a tailing off above 5000 RPM. In the new BRZ I would guess there is some power off the line but the real torque hits past 2000 RPM. However this torque probably is then fairly solid to red line or near red line. This is how Subaru solves torque issues without going to a turbo.
Its definitely leaning towards a 4 cyl turbo like setup now that more power comes on sooner. Best of all, we get that with the smoothness of an NA! Anywhere else along the torque (and even power) curve you hope/think will be improved?

·
Registered
21 Posts
The 2.0 liter was at something like 130 ft/lbs at about 3800 RPM, so the difference in feel should be significant. (See 2012 NASIOC thread on BRZ ). And unless you are doing the full track drill with gear shifting, that 3500-4000 RPM range is going to represent what you have on tap exiting a corner.

Allowing for differences in gearing, I'd expect the Gen 2 to feel similarly quick as an AP2 S2000, but more pop down low and lacking the 6000+ RPM VTEC rush the S2000 had. The 86 won't have the S2000's very short gearing (effective final drive was > 4.7:1), but the extra grunt may make up for a lot of that. I owned an AP2 for 10 years and never had a complaint about it being slow.

·
Registered
643 Posts
How it powers out of turns will be the biggest benefit for me.
View attachment 678
;)

With enough track time, that 25% will really show itself.

Its definitely leaning towards a 4 cyl turbo like setup now that more power comes on sooner. Best of all, we get that with the smoothness of an NA! Anywhere else along the torque (and even power) curve you hope/think will be improved?
I've always wanted to drive through the Tail of the Dragon. Haven't had the opportunity to make my way out there.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The 2.0 liter was at something like 130 ft/lbs at about 3800 RPM, so the difference in feel should be significant. (See 2012 NASIOC thread on BRZ ). And unless you are doing the full track drill with gear shifting, that 3500-4000 RPM range is going to represent what you have on tap exiting a corner.

Allowing for differences in gearing, I'd expect the Gen 2 to feel similarly quick as an AP2 S2000, but more pop down low and lacking the 6000+ RPM VTEC rush the S2000 had. The 86 won't have the S2000's very short gearing (effective final drive was > 4.7:1), but the extra grunt may make up for a lot of that. I owned an AP2 for 10 years and never had a complaint about it being slow.
I bet the drifting community will love it.

When the 86/BRZ initially came out, Toyobaru was big on pushing the drifting angle when promoting these cars. It also helped in justifying the Prius tires that came standard. Anyone remember that?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts