Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is this engine the same displacement as the existing 2.4L but it is allegedly not the same engine already in use, as one of the videos said? Did they really build an all-new engine for the second-gen BRZ / 86?

I read in another thread that it's most likely the existing FA24 with lightly worked over head to allow higher revs and more performance. May just be a different cam and valvesprings.

·
Registered
563 Posts
How is this engine the same displacement as the existing 2.4L but it is allegedly not the same engine already in use, as one of the videos said? Did they really build an all-new engine for the second-gen BRZ / 86?

I read in another thread that it's most likely the existing FA24 with lightly worked over head to allow higher revs and more performance. May just be a different cam and valvesprings.
My guess is that it's the same engine just tweaked to make it more sporty. I can't see them building a completely new engine for this car only.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here's some of the initial specs of the 2022 BRZ's engine compared to the previous engine

2.4L 4-cylinder engine

Engine4-cyl. horizontally opposed (Boxer), alloy cylinder block and cylinder heads
Displacement2.4-liter
Bore x stroke3.70 in. x 3.39 in (94mm x 86mm)
Compression ratio13.5:1
Horsepower228 HP @ 7,000 RPM
Torque184 lb.-ft. @ 3,700 RPM
Fuel systemToyota D-4S® direct fuel injection and port injection system
ValvetrainDouble overhead chain-driven camshafts (DOHC), 4 valves per cylinder, dual Active Valve Control System (DAVCS) controls valve timing on intake and exhaust camshafts

2.0L 4-cylinder engine

Engine4-cylinder, horizontally-opposed, aluminum alloy block and head
Displacement2.0-liter
Bore x stroke3.38 in. x 3.38 in (86 x 86 mm)
Compression ratio12.5:1
Horsepower205 hp @ 7,000 rpm
Torque156 lb-ft @ 6,400 rpm
Fuel systemD-4S (Direct and Sequential Port Injection)
ValvetrainDouble overhead chain-driven camshafts (DOHC) 4-valves per cylinder with Dual Variable Valve Timing (DAVCS)

·
Super Moderator
241 Posts
Well the the FA20D is significantly different on the inside to the FA20F according to people that have taken them apart.

Apart from the bore you would imagine that the FA24D has more similarities to the FA20D than the FA24F, with a number of incremental changes and stronger components over the FA20D owing to its increase in torque and the little things they have learnt from the platform.

We will certainly see soon enough!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Well the the FA20D is significantly different on the inside to the FA20F according to people that have taken them apart.

Apart from the bore you would imagine that the FA24D has more similarities to the FA20D than the FA24F, with a number of incremental changes and stronger components over the FA20D owing to its increase in torque and the little things they have learnt from the platform.

We will certainly see soon enough!
Not just the increase torque but the fact that it comes at 3,700 rpm instead of 6,400 rpm which will help a lot.

·
Registered
609 Posts
How reliable with this new engine in the 2022?
They recalled the older engine few years back
Tough for anyone to say at this point. But the FA24 engine in the new BRZ/86 is an evolution of the outgoing FA20, so hopefully they minimized any odds for major recalls through that process. Did you have an 86/BRZ that had to be recalled?

·
Super Moderator
241 Posts
I found this to be a really good video that deep dives into the engine.

I think there might be a few errors with it. It looks like the actual compression ratio is as per the first one at 12.5:1, I think some people got the new 13.5:1 steering ratio mixed up with a compression ratio. Also, the most recent specs point to a 7400rpm rev limiter (as per the first car).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think there might be a few errors with it. It looks like the actual compression ratio is as per the first one at 12.5:1, I think some people got the new 13.5:1 steering ratio mixed up with a compression ratio. Also, the most recent specs point to a 7400rpm rev limiter (as per the first car).
No, the Subaru press release says 13.5:1 directly in it. But it seems that was a mistake as every other number I've seen quoted is 12.5:1.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Are you planning on getting a BRZ or GR86?
Currently planning on the purchase of the BRZ but, the decision will hing-on which feels and fits me better. Remember, when requesting a test drive, opt for time alone - No Over Talkative Sales Person, I can hear how the engine sounds, and too much tire scrub as well, etc. COVID-19 has made this a potential customers health choice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts