Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't ask people if it is worth it. If you want it and you have the money, get it. Most Toyota dealer in Boston area have 3-5k markup. I put several deposits in different dealers (both selling at msrp and markup), but the one with markup arrive first. It's definitely a bad deal, but it's even worse waiting.

·
Registered
74 Posts
$3k isn't bad if you don't want to dick with it, but I bet a bit more work and you could find MSRP possibly before November. You may have to drive though.

I got MSRP with Sewell Subaru in Dallas after shooting over an email, walking in, placing my order, waiting a few months, and bam. I even get better than MSRP as they threw in a $500 ambassador coupon or whatever it's called that they happened to have available. Sewell has an awesome reputation in Texas though and I've bought other vehicles from the Sewell dealer group (Cadillac, Lexus, etc.).

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
2,278 Posts
I cant agree with the thought that anything over MSRP is worth it. If the manufacturer thought it was worth more they would ask more for it. The banks certainly dont think its worth more. Good luck finding a 38k loan for a 32k car. There is definitely a personal level of "what is it worth to me"? But then there is the reality of "what is it actually worth".

·
Registered
GR86 MT Pavement
1,034 Posts
For me the only way I could stomach it is if I was trading in and the check from that was at least 3k more than say it should have been in 2019.

That said whole sale prices have plummeted, only a matter of time for retail used cars to come down and they will drag markups with them.

This is not as rare as a 350R or Type R. It won't have a markup late 2023.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I cant agree with the thought that anything over MSRP is worth it. If the manufacturer thought it was worth more they would ask more for it. The banks certainly dont think its worth more. Good luck finding a 38k loan for a 32k car. There is definitely a personal level of "what is it worth to me"? But then there is the reality of "what is it actually worth".
So what if Toyota had set the MSRP 3k higher? Would the car not be worth it to you?

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
So what if Toyota had set the MSRP 3k higher? Would the car not be worth it to you?
No it definitely would not be. At this point I dont feel it was worth MSRP honestly. But I could see feeling better about it that way. Willingly paying more for something than the manufacturer says its worth is just fundamentally wrong. I "could" pay it. I wont on principal alone. I have no problem spending a good amount of money on a car, but it needs to justify the cost. IMO this car barely justifies its cost at MSRP.

·
Registered
144 Posts
No it definitely would not be. At this point I dont feel it was worth MSRP honestly. But I could see feeling better about it that way. Willingly paying more for something than the manufacturer says its worth is just fundamentally wrong. I "could" pay it. I wont on principal alone. I have no problem spending a good amount of money on a car, but it needs to justify the cost. IMO this car barely justifies its cost at MSRP.
Well, on the first point, I think you are in the vast minority as I see comparisons to more expensive cars where it comes out ahead. But whatever, that's your opinion.

The whole principle thing, though is where I have to laugh. Everything is worth what you are willing to pay for it and what others are willing to sell similar/identical products to you for. You seem to have this hang-up on the MSRP and that anything over that is like someone ripping off your arm. Here's my question to you - when first Gen cars were going for less than MSRP, did you go in and tell the dealer you won't pay any less than MSRP "because that's what the manufacturer says its worth?"

FYI, when I sold my first Gen BRZ to Vroom for 28,500 with 18 months/32,000 miles, I didn't think it was near worth that- but I took the money anyway!

Hey everyone has their irrational things that they refuse to pay for based upon emotion alone. I HATE paying for parking when I don't have to. I don't like valets (period -regardless of cost), people handling my luggage, food delivery services, paying someone to change my oil, mow my yard, etc. Basically, I HATE paying people to do things I know I either can do (or should do) on my own. Is it sometimes irrational and inefficient? - yes. But that's just me...

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Less than MSRP is always best obviously. In 25 years of car ownership, this is the 1st car I ever paid full price for. I did have to fight for weeks to get it. I did clearly say there is a "what's it worth to me" factor with everything. In my eyes paying more for a vehicle than even the manufacturer says its worth shows , weakness, laziness, and lack of financial sense. I could have taken the 1st offer my local dealer threw at me of 4k over sticker. After taxes and all that making it a 40k BRZ. There are people that did that with both the BRZ and 86. I think its foolish. I am not that desperate for anything to make such a bad financial decision. Its just a car. I know for many that this car sits on a pedestal like its the holy grail. I dont feel that way. Its mediocre. But none the less, even with cars I have owned in the past when they 1st came out like SVT lightning, terminator cobra, mercury marauder, mazdaspeed 3 to name a few, I never once paid over MSRP. Always under. Because thats logical.

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium Raven
144 Posts
An affordable sports cars is a special thing. Maybe the twins are better than or at least as good as some more expensive options. Pay too much and they lose some of that affordability making them less special. If others can get one at MSRP then I feel that paying more is paying too much. But I'm only in charge of my wallet, not anybody else's, so you do you.

·
Registered
250 Posts
If you want to pay me $3k I'm sure I can find you an MSRP BRZ somewhere.
i feel like this is highly unlikely. The reality is twins are low volume cars and the GR is built what 2 to every 1 brz or so. Subaru opened BRZ orders for 23 in april so finding a dealer with an allocation is a bit of a pipe dream. Toyota allocation nonsense has people putting in deposits in multiple dealers and seemingly long wait lists especially for the ones that are at MSRP.

If it were me the question would be is it work 3k to for sure have a car OR is it worth the hassle to play the toyota allocation lottery and hope you get a car at any given time at any given price with any given accessories. the dealer will 100% not pull off the GR exhaust that costs 1700 regardless of if you wanted it or not.

·
Registered
250 Posts
For me the only way I could stomach it is if I was trading in and the check from that was at least 3k more than say it should have been in 2019.

That said whole sale prices have plummeted, only a matter of time for retail used cars to come down and they will drag markups with them.

This is not as rare as a 350R or Type R. It won't have a markup late 2023.
i agree with this completely. supply isnt going anywhere so for demand to reduce people on waitlists have to find cheaper alternatives. once the used 2nd gens start going for less than MSRP id imagine some people will go that route and free up new cars for those that are a little more patient/stubborn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Hey guys ive put in 2 orders for brzs and with orders halted and me never being able to find a car i would like to know id 3k is worth it for a brz near Massachusetts. I do not have a car atm and want one bad and was wondering if the markup is worth it for the timing.
I live in Chicago work in Massachusetts I'm also 19 with no car and a potential girlfirend so that a need rn.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I did clearly say there is a "what's it worth to me" factor with everything. In my eyes paying more for a vehicle than even the manufacturer says its worth shows , weakness, laziness, and lack of financial sense.
Ahh, I see. Whatever is worth it to the OP is OK but if he does pay over MSRP, he is weak, lazy and lacks financial sense??

Here's one for you, what if the OP's time is worth considerably more than yours is? And what if $3,000 to him is more like $300 (or $3) to you? If either of those is the case, then the OP is not "weak or lazy" if he pays the 3k and paying the 3k may be, by far, the most financially responsible thing FOR HIM to do. Just something to consider before calling everyone who paid over MSRP weak, lazy and lacking in financial sense...

·
Registered
110 Posts
OP, don't spend over 3K MSRP.

Unless you got money like that then why are you asking us if 3K is worth it for mark ups? And why are you looking at a GR86/BRZ when there's a porsche and others that outclass us but also cost a lot more.

If none of that matters to you, then fine go ahead and buy it just make sure you're happy with it and it's what you want.
At the end of the day it's your choice and your money and your happiness.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Justify spending too much money however helps you sleep better at night. I make enough to buy whatever and as many vehicles as I want. Time is in fact money, so I can understand that argument. But I refuse to overspend on anything. I would always rather put in more effort to save money, even if it takes longer. Maybe thats the luxury of having a bunch of cars at once. I dont need anything bad enough to make a poor financial decision to get it. People pay markups on cars every day. So I probably am the minority. But here I am with one of the 1st BRZs to see America and I didnt over pay for it. And if I would have caved and paid the markups that dealers were asking for when I started my search I would have been really REALLY upset with myself after I got the car. Its just not worth anything more than MSRP. As with most things in life, its subjective. I see paying a markup as being defeated. Some dont.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts