Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys ive put in 2 orders for brzs and with orders halted and me never being able to find a car i would like to know id 3k is worth it for a brz near Massachusetts. I do not have a car atm and want one bad and was wondering if the markup is worth it for the timing.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ, Ice Silver, MT, Limited
342 Posts
Ugh - I know you want the car but thats just wrong. $3K markup? I'd keep shopping, honestly. I know that sucks but there is no reason to overpay. You'll score a deal. Hang in there.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear you. How far away have you tried other dealers?
im from chicago and ive tried 5 there and 3 in boston it seems like no one can allocate a car rn and the 23s that have been ordered are all were gonna see this coming year
ive ordered a car but never got a von etc after a while and was told i was a long wait out by both dealers

·
Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 Premium
91 Posts
I guess it really comes down what your time is worth to you.
If you'd rather have the car now and not spend time looking elsewhere, you can probably justify a 3k mark up to yourself.

I paid a 2k mark up and another 1.2k in accessories.
I spent about 2 months watching videos of reviews, different builds people were going with, 5k/10k/20k mile reviews, to make sure it would be a good daily driver that suited my needs. Then after learning about the car and deciding it was the one I wanted, I put down a deposit on an allocation and it took about 3 months for the car to get to the dealership. During that 3 month period, I was reading different forum posts on how long people have been waiting for the car and I didn't think I wanted to wait nearly as long as others. I did my fair share of calling around to different dealers within a 250 mile radius.

The other side of it is if you do not have a car and need a car and this is the car you want, what other things are dependent on you having a car? Are you needing to get from place to place on a daily basis? Do you need to shuttle people around? Do you just want a fun car to get groceries with?

But yeah, what's your time worth to you? And what is dependent on having a car?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I paid over sticker for my '23 GR86 and wasn't going to dick around forever looking.

Also from Chicago

. I flew to Fort Wayne Indiana, 28 min flight. Paid and drove home.

I have car ADD and wanted it NOW.

So it was worth it to me.

If you're not stretching financially for the car, buy it and enjoy it.

People are paying MUCH higher mark ups than that on other brands for hard to get cars.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I think that these cars will hold their value and "hold their markup", especially in the areas that are seeing the higher markups.

To respect yourself, you have to resolve to try to negotiate vs. capitulate. If you try and fail, at least you tried. But you might try and end up winning something back.

There are two fundamental approaches to negotiation:
  1. No, but...
  2. Yes, if...
I think #1 is off the table, because they likely won't come off the markup. So, #2 is what you want to attempt.

You: "Are you firm on the $3k markup?"
Dealer: "Yep."
You: "Alright, I can do that if you..."

If you what? That's up to you:
"Throw in all-weather floor mats."
"Give me a second set of TPMS sensors for my winter wheels."
etc.

I'd make a list worth $1000 and see what they do with it. Remember that $1000 to you retail is probably $650 to them wholesale. It's easier for them to give you stuff counted at retail than it is to give back cash.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Do you NEED a car? Can you afford to wait? These are questions we can’t really answer for you. You could just get a beater and hope it outlasts the wait and you don’t blow 3k when it comes time to sell or trade said beater.

·
Registered
139 Posts
im from chicago and ive tried 5 there and 3 in boston it seems like no one can allocate a car rn and the 23s that have been ordered are all were gonna see this coming year
ive ordered a car but never got a von etc after a while and was told i was a long wait out by both dealers
No, 3k markup is not worth it. You'll never see that money back.

If you're in Chicago, contact the internet team at Castle Subaru in Portage Indiana. I did that last December and they were SUPER responsive. Told them exactly what I wanted and that I was in Illinois. They knew exactly what to do, they responded fast and they even gave me a mock up purchase order before I came in. No mark up, no add-ons. I ordered a BRZ from them and it arrived exactly 90 days later with zero bullshit from the dealer.

Hit them up and if you need any details, shoot me a message on here. They're legit.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
You guys touting BRZ for MSRP are forgetting that there’s a Subaru dealer cartel in the Northeast.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Not in Chicago (where OP is) and surrounding areas.
The thread title:
Is a 3k markup worth it in boston for a 6mt brz limited that will arive around late november

OP: "...i(s) 3k is worth it for a brz near Massachusetts..."

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I'm aware. I'm saying he's got plenty of places much closer he could try first. Also people have gotten MSRP in the NE 'cartel' area.
Bad on me for not reading the OP's later post that the he is in Chicago. Yeah, Boston or anywhere in the NE is the LAST place to look for an MSRP car! The funny thing is that in the Midwest, Chicago is known as the place to get the cheapest new car prices. If you can't find MSRP there, you can't find it anywhere!

To answer the thread title directly: yes, it is worth it in BOSTON but not in CHICAGO. :D

1 - 20 of 45 Posts