Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I intend to Supercharge my GR86 soon after breaking the engine in.
Seems HKS is the sensible choice from what I've read and they have it in development.
I don't want to change the stock exhaust and clutch, I just want 15-20% of extra power available for fun. If the Supercharger is a radical upgrade I'll pass.
So my manual GR86 Premium is on order and yesterday I put a preorder for the HKS in with my local HKS dealer installer. Turns out another customer recently pre-ordered with him too.
Anyway, according to the shop the process is that HKS informal takes note of interest, and informal put the shop in line for ordering as kits become available. When kits are forthcoming HKS notifies the shop and pre-orders can be formalized. So no money down or commitment needed for now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You should easily get 10% more power with an ethanol tune and 15% with header and a tune. That might even be conservative. Seems like the easier option more reversible option that (probably) won't void your warranty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm only going to have it for less than 2 years. (Am moving out of the country and wont take it with.)

One other thing is that I'm having the Toyota dealer see if I can have the smaller rims Base version wheels come on my Premium from the get go. He says its likely ok.
The bigger rims/lower aspect tires are more bumpy and noisy.

I'm sure the car will be fun stock HP but if I can supercharge without making it louder I'll do it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm only going to have it for less than 2 years. (Am moving out of the country and wont take it with.)

One other thing is that I'm having the Toyota dealer see if I can have the smaller rims Base version wheels come on my Premium from the get go. He says its likely ok.

I'm sure the car will be fun stock HP but if I can supercharge without making it louder I'll do it.
Hey man, If you have the money and the time to build the car you want, Go for it! If you are building a toy, play around. These cars at the end of the day, are meant to be customized. If you do you need to share with us the process and how it comes out for everyone else who might want to to do the same.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had the same thought but my plan is to keep the premium wheels and buy someone's take-offs when they inevitably buy some crappy aftermarket wheels and sell their stock 17" wheels on FB marketplace...

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
62 Posts
Supercharger offers way more than 15-20% more power. Most 1st gen owners see their power nearly double from forced induction. The stock clutch absolutely will not handle that much power for very long. Do some simple exhaust mods and tune it for E85. 1st gen cars see an increase of 25-30 HP on E85 alone. I expect the 22s to show even better results because of the higher compression level.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Supercharger offers way more than 15-20% more power. Most 1st gen owners see their power nearly double from forced induction. The stock clutch absolutely will not handle that much power for very long. Do some simple exhaust mods and tune it for E85. 1st gen cars see an increase of 25-30 HP on E85 alone. I expect the 22s to show even better results because of the higher compression level.
I'm really curious what the aftermarket is going to be like because the 2.4s seem to have more potential. Personally, I'd love to see if anyone comes up with a better intake and valve spring setup to let it rev out to 8k.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My dealer called today and has been notified he's allocated an 86 to fill my order. YAY!
Back to subject of supercharging, I was under the impression that the individuals boost/HP are very adjustable. It's the forced induction I'm primarily interested in having and if it can be moderate I'll do it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My dealer called today and has been notified he's allocated an 86 to fill my order. YAY!
Back to subject of supercharging, I was under the impression that the individuals boost/HP are very adjustable. It's the forced induction I'm primarily interested in having and if it can be moderate I'll do it.
There is very little adjustment in a supercharger. To make any changes the pulley on the supercharger has to be pulled off and replaced to another size to create the amount of boost desired. That also requires the car to be retuned. To gain 15% power would only be like 2psi of boost which is a giant waste of time and money to add that little. There arent even kits out there running less than 8psi that I know of. A turbo is much more adjustable but still cannot run less boost than the wastegate spring setting. Again, I have never seen one less than 6psi.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There is very little adjustment in a supercharger. To make any changes the pulley on the supercharger has to be pulled off and replaced to another size to create the amount of boost desired. That also requires the car to be retuned. To gain 15% power would only be like 2psi of boost which is a giant waste of time and money to add that little. There arent even kits out there running less than 8psi that I know of. A turbo is much more adjustable but still cannot run less boost than the wastegate spring setting. Again, I have never seen one less than 6psi.
It might be possible with a very good blow-off valve and boost control system, but yeah at that point it's actually more cost effective to invest in NA mods.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh well. I guess I will need to not be a lead foot and go for broke. I don't want louder, don't want a loud raspy backfiring exhaust.
I'm Sure the shop over here will give good advice and have much experience. They seem to have a lot of similar to GR86 cars there and 4 bays of garages busy.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh well. I guess I will need to not be a lead foot and go for broke. I don't want louder, don't want a loud raspy backfiring exhaust.
I'm Sure the shop over here will give good advice and have much experience. They seem to have a lot of similar to GR86 cars there and 4 bays of garages busy.
Exhaust pops are due to tuning options and are entirely unnecessary. You can have high HP NA and be quiet, just might take adding extra resonators or mufflers. But yes, consult with the shop and see what they say.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It might be possible with a very good blow-off valve and boost control system, but yeah at that point it's actually more cost effective to invest in NA mods.
Boost control systems are only useable on turbocharged cars. They also only allow for raising the boost higher than the wastegate spring set point. It is impossible to run less than that spring weight. BOV is nice to have a good one to prevent premature turbo wear from compressor sure has nothing to do with the amount of boost pressure the car runs.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I intend to Supercharge my GR86 soon after breaking the engine in.
Seems HKS is the sensible choice from what I've read and they have it in development.
I don't want to change the stock exhaust and clutch, I just want 15-20% of extra power available for fun. If the Supercharger is a radical upgrade I'll pass.
So my manual GR86 Premium is on order and yesterday I put a preorder for the HKS in with my local HKS dealer installer. Turns out another customer recently pre-ordered with him too.
Anyway, according to the shop the process is that HKS informal takes note of interest, and informal put the shop in line for ordering as kits become available. When kits are forthcoming HKS notifies the shop and pre-orders can be formalized. So no money down or commitment needed for now.
Just keep in mind, especially if you are only planning on keeping the car for 2 years, that these mods will make the car difficult to sell. A dealer most likely won’t buy it, and there won’t be a lot of demand from private buyers. Sorry to be a wet blanket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Agreed that mods make a car worth less sometimes and a tougher sale. Plus in a private sale getting a loan is tough because of the HP increasing mods are really undesired.
Its a waste but Ill do it anyway -If the HKS is not radical. I have heard the HKS Supercharger kit for GR86 will be providing 50-60 HP and that's not over the top, it sounds like just right.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow, thanks a lot ghost!
Yeah well that added quite a lot of HP; dunno how much the intake, exhaust, and choice of octane/tune contributes. It was too loud for me though for sure.
I'm glad ill be having a GR soon and also being on the wait list for the supercharger too. If its senseless to add power I'm sure it be be made clear by driving and seeing the details of HKS Kit when complete info is known.
The shop I spoke with said that HKS is going conservative on HP gain, so no doubt they are taking into consideration that the 2022 larger and higher compression engine doesn't need upping (if at all) as much as prior year ones.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If I wanted lots of power I would buy a used Corvette. If I wanted a headache I would supercharge a GR86. If I just wanted to have fun driving on the street I would buy a GR86 and keep it stock.
Thats the difference between gearheads and other car guys. A gearhead prefers "built not bought". Anybody can buy a stock corvette and it will be quick. A built BRZ that can beat a corvette is a much more fulfilling experience. My little 4 banger mazdaspeed 3 breaks the heart of Z06 owners on a regular basis. Priceless.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts