Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Posting this on the BRZ side of the forums as well.

I have a Type R, and am considering selling it for an 86/BRZ to put some money towards a new family car. I test drove a BRZ today, and while it was nice, I was a little disappointed with the steering feel as well as brake/throttle response. I really enjoy driving a car that feels razor sharp in its inputs, and the BRZ, while certainly not terrible, was a bit lacking in this regard for my tastes.

Two questions:

1. I've been having trouble finding an 86 to test and compare, and have read that the steering and throttle response might potentially be sharper on it. Can anyone who has driven both models confirm whether or not that's true?

2. Do any of you BRZ owners share my issues with input response? If so, have you taken any steps to address them amd what are they? For example, I was wondering how much a less-compressible, track-focused pad compound might help with braking response.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech WRB
76 Posts
The GR86 is not available yet. The earliest you will find one to test drive is probably January.

To answer your question, it is best to explain to you about the difference between the two.

Steering response:
The two cars should have the same steering tune. That sharp steering people feels is probably due to the difference in suspension tuning which directly affect the body movement of the car when cornering. Because the GR86 is more tail happy with its suspension tuning, this is likely what causes the steering feel of the GR86 to be better than the BRZ.

Throttle response:
Also comes down to the tune of the throttle body. The BRZ tuning is more linear so whatever amount of throttle input you give, that is how much the throttle body will open. The GR86 tune makes the throttle body open sooner so you don't have to floor it to get the max output. But in terms of performance, the two cars will be similar as the powertrain is the same.

Brake response:
I don't think there is a difference in terms of brake response for both cars because the components used to build the brake itself should be the same. The difference people experience is also likely from the body movement, which is caused by the different suspension tuning. The GR86 has a lower front suspension rate compare to the BRZ so during hard braking situation, it is likely the GR86 will dip more in the front which makes you feel like you are braking harder in the GR86, but in fact that is just the difference in body movement.

Overall, if you are looking for a more aggressive feel, GR86 will be better for you. But if you want a more stable feel, BRZ is the one to go.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Your reference is a Civic Type R with 245/30R20 tires (that's not a lot of sidewall squirm!), a car not engineered for the same kind of versatility. Said another way, the twins are surprisingly good daily drivers, but it comes at a cost.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ahhh, the memories of a long lost passion I am trying to rekindle ! But, posted questions like the op put up also remind me of the comic value of the forums…. In this case, going from a type R to something of lesser insanity performance factor, and yet expecting near same results. I guess I’m about maybe three posts away from snuffing out the old flame of yesterday. It’s just too nuts I suppose. Pay to Play will never change. No matter how hard one hopes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts