Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... Back in December of 2021, I ordered a 2022 Subaru BRZ Premium (Base) in Automatic...

This decision, I regret.
So after 3 - 4 months, I got a refund on my deposit.
Went to Toyota in April,
Ordered a 2022 Toyota GR86 Premium Manual
(Premium for Toyota is the more high end trim)
The GR86 is not here yet.

HOWEVER, the canceled Subaru order popped up. The dealer called me and said "Hey! If you are still interested, the Subaru BRZ you ordered is coming in 1 week! The exact one that you ordered! Do you want it?"

Initially, I told him I already ordered a GR and honestly, I need a manual.

Heres the important bit I need help on:

He said I can finance the BRZ, then trade it in for the GR86 without losing hardly ANYTHING. It'll be a complete buy-out on Toyota's end. They will pay my finance and take the BRZ and swap it with the GR86 once it arrives in 3 more months or so.

This sounds fantastic...
I called my Toyota salesmen and asked if this is true and if its possible. He said its true, they can do that for me since the car is so rare and highly wanted by buyers. They would pay me the cars full price and I'd even get my down payment back.

What do you ladies and gentlemen think?
Have you done this before?
Is this a good idea?

My GR86 is for sure going to take an extra 2 to 3 months wait so I'm hoping to keep the Subaru as clean as humanily possible till then and ofcourse, completely stock.

The reason why I want to take the auto Subie is because I need a car for a new job and I need to drive to places where I have to take certificates and/or classes. They may not be close enough for public transit everyday. Realistically, its not just the automatic that bothers me about Subaru... Its Subaru itself. I don't like Subaru badges and I prefer the GR86 look and suspension tuning over the BRZ. The GR86 also has an amazing front bumper.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
So... Back in December of 2021, I ordered a 2022 Subaru BRZ Premium (Base) in Automatic...

This decision, I regret.
So after 3 - 4 months, I got a refund on my deposit.
Went to Toyota in April,
Ordered a 2022 Toyota GR86 Premium Manual
(Premium for Toyota is the more high end trim)
The GR86 is not here yet.

HOWEVER, the canceled Subaru order popped up. The dealer called me and said "Hey! If you are still interested, the Subaru BRZ you ordered is coming in 1 week! The exact one that you ordered! Do you want it?"

Initially, I told him I already ordered a GR and honestly, I need a manual.

Heres the important bit I need help on:

He said I can finance the BRZ, then trade it in for the GR86 without losing hardly ANYTHING. It'll be a complete buy-out on Toyota's end. They will pay my finance and take the BRZ and swap it with the GR86 once it arrives in 3 more months or so.

This sounds fantastic...
I called my Toyota salesmen and asked if this is true and if its possible. He said its true, they can do that for me since the car is so rare and highly wanted by buyers. They would pay me the cars full price and I'd even get my down payment back.

What do you ladies and gentlemen think?
Have you done this before?
Is this a good idea?

My GR86 is for sure going to take an extra 2 to 3 months wait so I'm hoping to keep the Subaru as clean as humanily possible till then and ofcourse, completely stock.

The reason why I want to take the auto Subie is because I need a car for a new job and I need to drive to places where I have to take certificates and/or classes. They may not be close enough for public transit everyday. Realistically, its not just the automatic that bothers me about Subaru... Its Subaru itself. I don't like Subaru badges and I prefer the GR86 look and suspension tuning over the BRZ. The GR86 also has an amazing front bumper.

I would get those verbal offers in writing and signed off on by dealership management personally. Folks will say anything to make a sale - on both sides.

Personally I would be too lazy to deal with all of those logistics and would just wait - but if you need the car and willing.

2cents.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Base Automatic Halo
39 Posts
I guess it all depends on the importance of you wanting a manual vs automatic. Is the wait worth it for you to have manual? Or can you settle for an automatic and purchase the car now. It sounds like a hassle to me to buy the BRZ and then go in to trade it for the GR. A lot of times I feel like dealing with anything that has to do with the dealership, there's some sort of fine print that they aren't telling you about.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I would get those verbal offers in writing and signed off on by dealership management personally. Folks will say anything to make a sale - on both sides.

Personally I would be too lazy to deal with all of those logistics and would just wait - but if you need the car and willing.

2cents.
My phone records all calls inbound and outbound so does that help? I live in Canada so its legal to have and use that as long as I consent to it LOL :LOL:

Yeah, get it in writing. Also, you might end up just liking the A/T and deciding to keep it. ;)
I doubt I'll keep it because I don't like Subaru designs and badges haha plus the premium wheels, lights, bumper, and interior look better and I get a duckbill with the Toyota.

I guess it all depends on the importance of you wanting a manual vs automatic. Is the wait worth it for you to have manual? Or can you settle for an automatic and purchase the car now. It sounds like a hassle to me to buy the BRZ and then go in to trade it for the GR. A lot of times I feel like dealing with anything that has to do with the dealership, there's some sort of fine print that they aren't telling you about.
It is a hassle haha but Idk what to really do. I'm going to speak to the Subie dealer today and see what I can confirm with him.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I guess I’m in the camp of others who wouldn’t go through the exercise. I think I’d take the BRZ AT and enjoy for 6 months to a year, then if I still wanted a manual I’d get a ‘23 or ‘24 when there might be new OEM optional goodies like bigger brakes and new colors.

Reactions: Subito

·
Registered
BRZ Premium Manual due for delivery in Dec. 2022
57 Posts
I was going to say absolutely take the deal, until you said that "I don't like the Subaru badge and don't like the look ".

So my advice now is to let it go, and let someone who will love it from the beginning have it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Everyone here makes some interesting points and this is what its about. I needed opinions so thank you all.

I may go with Ritter's opinion...
Use the car for half a year or more and trade it when I'm ready to part ways to get the 2024 or even a better car...
Only issue with that is the cars value. It may drop significantly.

So I'm still not entirely sure.

About to go and talk to the dealer as I write this so he can clear up and confirm how all this will work.

Or I may just get the car for the job and save a ton of money. Honestly, if I can pickup something that pays more than my current job then I'm set and I don't mind losing a couple thousand. Will see...

You all will know shortly when and if I post a photo of the car next week.

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Base Automatic Halo
39 Posts
My phone records all calls inbound and outbound so does that help? I live in Canada so its legal to have and use that as long as I consent to it LOL :LOL:

I doubt I'll keep it because I don't like Subaru designs and badges haha plus the premium wheels, lights, bumper, and interior look better and I get a duckbill with the Toyota.

It is a hassle haha but Idk what to really do. I'm going to speak to the Subie dealer today and see what I can confirm with him.
Have you tried calling around to dealerships you're willing to travel to? That's what I did and got lucky with the third dealership I called and was able to get it for MSRP..this was back in February though..not sure how it is now. Either way, good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I was personally not too picky about colors or trim level (although preferred the base unlike most), but required a manual transmission. Regardless of a persons preferences, the transmission is a major “contact point” with the car, and I’d suggest waiting for the one you want.

·
Registered
'22 GR86 Premium MT
233 Posts
I too believe you should just wait. As others have mentioned, sales guys can say all the things u want to hear and not what may end up being the case, it's risky and u may be out of some $ in the end.

Are you that desperate for a vehicle right now?
I find that's the worst time to be shopping a new car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I was in a similar situation as you. I wanted a premium MT BRZ, but could only get GR86 allocations for msrp. The dealerships were being very snobby when they saw how desperate I was to get a car before I started work, and at one point my only option was a BRZ for 3k markup and a lot of bs options that I didn't want.

Eventually after frantically calling around, I found a BRZ at a dealership for 2k above msrp. I picked up the car like 5 days before I started my job, and was so glad I looked around. If I did end up with the GR86, I wouldn't be disappointed, but I'd be jealous every time I saw a BRZ because they look better to me.

My suggestion is to keep calling around, and if you can, get your company to give you a discount on rentals (if this would be your first car) or on ridehailing services.

There is a chance that the deal of trading to a GR86 sours when the time comes, so unless you are guaranteed something, wait for your desired car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was going to say absolutely take the deal, until you said that "I don't like the Subaru badge and don't like the look ".

So my advice now is to let it go, and let someone who will love it from the beginning have it.
I second it. Even if you can get thoose offers papered and would make your life easier until you get your desired offer theese cars deserve the respect and enthusiasm from the very first moment. Its a good thing also to let someone be lucky.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The sales tax depends on the state. My state does not give your sales tax back if the vehicle is sold in a short time. Some states do. So that may be $3k that is lost. Just wait for the car you want. Its not worth the trouble.
Well, I don't know of any states where the sales tax on the new car isn't the difference between what you trade-in vs. what you pay for the new car. Of course, this makes you beholden to trading-in to the dealer you are buying the new car from but assuming that is the deal you are planning, the sales tax issue should be a zero sum game.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've paid attention to auto auctions and watched some YouTube channels; I feel like the market is in the decline. Between rising interest rates, and inflation, the market is starting to settle. Cars are sitting on lots longer than they were 6 months ago. Repos are up too. Cars are not going for reserve at auction. 6 Months ago, I would agree that what he proposes is a no brainer (minus the taxes), but I don't know that you'll be able to flip cars as easily within the next 6 months.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts