Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this car and my last car did not have a CD player. I'm sick of looking at my 1000s of CDs sitting in the basement, never being played

Yes, I've seen all the threads about "just use your phone", "use a USB drive", etc...

Nothing, and I mean nothing compares to the sound quality of a CD in a decent stereo.

Night and day to Spotify, XM or FM, or any mp3

I grabbed one of those $108 units on Amazon that plugs in via USB. Although it doesn't show the artist or track names on the screen, which is a little disappointing but I expected that from the reviews I glanced at before purchasing it.

It also picks up on the track # you left off at if you switch discs. Only time it starts at track 1 is when you play a disc all the way through before ejecting it. Already got used to having to back up to track 1 after the disc loads up. The steering wheel controls or touchscreen work fine with it.

But the quality of the sounds makes up for any of that. (8 speaker premium in my car, BTW)

So if anyone is on the fence, still wants to listen to CDs and wants to realize the potential of your factory system, I highly recommend one of those.

I cranked Blizzard of Oz, Diary Of A Madman and Tribute on my way to work this morning and it felt good again.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
There are streaming services that meet/exceed cd quality with the caveat of it being more expensive (though amazon hd is a pretty good deal).

But yeah - if you already have a huge CD collection - a good option for sure!

Reactions: mlewis333

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FLAC is definitely acceptable quality as is any lossless but I have a pretty substantial CD collection going back to the 80s. Probably over 5000 anyway.

There is no way I would spend the time converting them to anything else and try to organize it. I just went without over the last 2 years and listened to Spotify, XM and actually did have an Amazon HD subscription (which was the best of them)

I have a ton of bootlegs in FLAC so I get what you're saying

·
Registered
486 Posts
I have a ton of CDs that have been collecting dust for about 17 years in spite of the previous three cars having CD players. This is a fairly loud car with acoustics not remotely optimized for music—can you even detect the difference between lossless and compressed? I'd like to retain what's left of my hearing, so I don't blast the music, but when I converted to higher bit rates, I could barely tell the difference in slightly quieter cars and only with more wide-range music, like something orchestral. But, maybe that's me since I have nerve deafness from too many concerts and clubs where I was too "cool" to wear hearing protection and loud machinery, so while in isolation, I can hear higher tones and lower volumes than I should be able to for my age, sound gets muddied together when there's a lot of it at once, making it tough to discern specific things (people talking to me in a room full of talking people in the background? Forget it—I half lip-read.).

·
Registered
18 Posts
So this car and my last car did not have a CD player. I'm sick of looking at my 1000s of CDs sitting in the basement, never being played

Yes, I've seen all the threads about "just use your phone", "use a USB drive", etc...

Nothing, and I mean nothing compares to the sound quality of a CD in a decent stereo.

Night and day to Spotify, XM or FM, or any mp3

I grabbed one of those $108 units on Amazon that plugs in via USB. Although it doesn't show the artist or track names on the screen, which is a little disappointing but I expected that from the reviews I glanced at before purchasing it.

It also picks up on the track # you left off at if you switch discs. Only time it starts at track 1 is when you play a disc all the way through before ejecting it. Already got used to having to back up to track 1 after the disc loads up. The steering wheel controls or touchscreen work fine with it.

But the quality of the sounds makes up for any of that. (8 speaker premium in my car, BTW)

So if anyone is on the fence, still wants to listen to CDs and wants to realize the potential of your factory system, I highly recommend one of those.

I cranked Blizzard of Oz, Diary Of A Madman and Tribute on my way to work this morning and it felt good again.
Do you have a pic of the cd Player or a link?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought this one

Still pretty happy with it after a few days.

One other thing I noticed over the weekend is there's a tiny little click, just before the start of the next track. Not enough to turn me off but you do hear it

And when listening to one live CD, it didn't flow straight from one track to the next but left a slight pause. But on another live CD, it went straight from one track to the next with no interruption of the crowd noise.

I got some heavy duty double sided tape and mounted it to the right of the shifter area of the console so the CD drops straight down into it. Doesn't seem to interfere with the passenger as the seat sticks out a little more than the player does. They just won't be able to move the seat forward without hitting it. The included cable is just long enough to mount it there. And it's a permanent cable, so it can't be replaced with another although an extension cable might work...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts