Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

How to maintain visibility to other drivers?

• Bright wrap / decals

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Ultra bright LEDs on exterior

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Strobe light for 3rd brake light

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Drive mainly in the right lane

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Honk

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Turn on emergency flashers when someone is coming up fast behind you at a stop light

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Check the rearview mirror frequently to see if there are any tailgaters / aggressive drivers

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Avoid driving in others' blind spots

Votes: 42 91.3%
  • Keep headlights in ON position (even during the day)

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Have foot hovering over the brake pedal

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Observing where a driver's head is turned and where their wheels are pointed

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Leaving plenty of following distance from vehicle in front

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • Lifting off the accelerator at intersections when approaching a vehicle waiting to enter

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Ensuring your vehicle is not in a position hidden from other drivers when approaching an intersec

Votes: 27 58.7%
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
one thing i always try to keep in mind is you have vastly more control of what's infront of you than what's behind you. If you see someone barreling for you from the rear your limited on what space you have forward and the sides and what reaction time you have but if someone does some shit in front of you you can attempt to and likely stop.

I also have a bad habit of overanalyzing the situation. if you maintain the flow of traffic your less likely to have an issue. meaning unfortuantely if the douche behind me is tailgating me the reality is they can hit me with absolutely nothing i can do about it. so if i take the difference and get slightly closer to the car infront then the good measure may get them to lean back a little bit.

but you cant fix stupid. someone on their phone wont see any graphics on a semi. so

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
...if the douche behind me is tailgating me the reality is they can hit me with absolutely nothing i can do about it. so if i take the difference and get slightly closer to the car infront then the good measure may get them to lean back a little bit.
My technique for that on the interstate is to just slow down and slow down some more until they either back off or go around. If it's on a 2-lane, I will pull over and let them go by. What's hilarious is people who tailgate you on a 2-lane road but it's not you going slow; you're stuck behind the slow car ahead of you. So in this case I pull over, douche-head goes around, and then I blast out and tailgate douche-head while he tailgates the slowpoke. It's funny to see them look in the mirror and contemplate the role-reversal.

Reactions: repeet

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
It's a small car. Be profoundly aware. And then? A lady texting in a Cayenne might not even care...
I think I've seen this pic before; is that your car?

Reactions: PBR

·
Registered
BRZ (base) 6-spd due Jan. 2023
253 Posts
My technique for that on the interstate is to just slow down and slow down some more until they either back off or go around. If it's on a 2-lane, I will pull over and let them go by. What's hilarious is people who tailgate you on a 2-lane road but it's not you going slow; you're stuck behind the slow car ahead of you. So in this case I pull over, douche-head goes around, and then I blast out and tailgate douche-head while he tailgates the slowpoke. It's funny to see them look in the mirror and contemplate the role-reversal.
I pull over often. I'll even take an exit on an interstate and then get back on just to break up the silliness.

I figure if my existence is causing someones angst, there's plenty of room in this world to be somewhere else.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My technique for that on the interstate is to just slow down and slow down some more until they either back off or go around. If it's on a 2-lane, I will pull over and let them go by.
My favorite thing about driving in Texas - 2 lane road and a guy is going 70 in a 55 and you come up doing 90. Does he get mad that you want to drive 90??? Nope - he moves over ONTO THE SHOULDER and lets you go by. Libertarianism at its best. So different than Midwest/East Coast driving mentality.

BTW, as I said before, there is a respectful way for the guy doing 90 to roll up - slowing down and staying well behind - NOT barreling as fast as you can, as close as you can to the guy's bumper flashing your high beams.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
My favorite thing about driving in Texas - 2 lane road and a guy is going 70 in a 55 and you come up doing 90. Does he get mad that you want to drive 90??? Nope - he moves over ONTO THE SHOULDER and lets you go by. Libertarianism at its best. So different than Midwest/East Coast driving mentality.
Love this!

·
Registered
2023 GR86, Premium M/T Track bRed
77 Posts
Drive like you are taking care of children. When you're taking care of children you basically have to watch them and pre-screen reality for them.

When driving, drive like you are driving for yourself, AND for everybody else. Drive as if it is your responsibility to keep the road safe.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts