Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

How to maintain visibility to other drivers?

• Bright wrap / decals

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Ultra bright LEDs on exterior

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Strobe light for 3rd brake light

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Drive mainly in the right lane

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Honk

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Turn on emergency flashers when someone is coming up fast behind you at a stop light

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Check the rearview mirror frequently to see if there are any tailgaters / aggressive drivers

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Avoid driving in others' blind spots

Votes: 42 91.3%
  • Keep headlights in ON position (even during the day)

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Have foot hovering over the brake pedal

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Observing where a driver's head is turned and where their wheels are pointed

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Leaving plenty of following distance from vehicle in front

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • Lifting off the accelerator at intersections when approaching a vehicle waiting to enter

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Ensuring your vehicle is not in a position hidden from other drivers when approaching an intersec

Votes: 27 58.7%
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
I meticulously check my mirrors and watch other drivers. My commute is over 30 miles so I spend a lot of time on the road every week. When you drive enough you learn to spot the “body language” (for lack of a better term) of other drivers. It’s tremendously helpful for avoiding accidents because you can predict what another driver will do or notice that they have no idea you are there.

The main thing is really just paying attention to your surroundings. I haven’t been in an accident yet (as one of the drivers anyway) but every near miss I’ve had is from someone not paying attention.

·
Registered
BRZ (base) 6-spd due Jan. 2023
253 Posts
All I can do is repeat what others have said. Drive like you're on a combat mission, and anyone around you could turn out to be the enemy.

If you don't like driving like that, then you don't need to be in a car. You'll need to be in a SUV minimum.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Drive like everyone is trying to kill you. That used just be an excercise but since moving to NoVA its more reality than simile. Look for late cars the light turns green. Watch for unexpected lane changes, and don't trust people are turning even if their blinkers are on.

Treat driver aids as an aid but don't rely on them. Check over you're shoulder when changing lanes and backing up. Having driven a few vehicles with massive blindspots this is key.

I try to avoid driving alongside semis or big trucks. I'll wait till I can pass them then pass them rapidly. Same goes for anyone driving unussualy such as swerving or erratic speed. Hang back till you can pass them quickly. Also I assume pickups with trailers may have forgotten they are towing a trailer and may try to change lanes into to small of a space. The converse applies if I'm ever towing, I assume people don't see my trailer.

If you do make a questionable move like cutting someone off, keep an eye on them for possible road rage. I had someone purposely try to hit me once after the car in front of me braked hard when I was half way through a tight lane change leading me to pretty much brake check the guy behind me.

If traffic suddenly comes to a stop or slows drastically on a highway, ill ussualy turn my hazards on till another car has stopped behind me. Particularly in low visibility conditions.

Specifically for snow/winter driving, practice in an empty lot if you can but in general everything needs to be slower and gentler. Slow acceleration, slow braking, turn at low speeds. Basicly drive like you're grandma is in the passenger seat and has a coupe jars of full to the brim ice tea on her lap that don't have lids. Also, never brake through turns in slippery conditions.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Not always true (but sometimes). Don't you? If I wanted to drive like a Camry-owner, I would've bought a Camry.
Not really. I don't usually go around unless there's daylight ahead of the person I'm going around. For example, if there's a left-lane camper, I will go around the middle lane driver (on the left or right, whatever's feasible) and scoot up that middle lane to get around the left-lane camper. It's there's no daylight anywhere, I try to get behind something smaller that I can see around (vs. truck or SUV that blocks all forward visibility), put on a podcast, and just settle into the flow.
I am happy to watch others go by me at 95 because they are clearing out all the cops in front of me.
Me, too. Bear bait.
I don't tailgate anyone who is doing the right thing (driving in the correct lane, not trying to prevent me from going the speed I want for no reason other than they consider themselves to be independent police officers, etc.) I totally get it (as should everyone) if the highway is full, or if you are going as fast you can in the left lane and there are two - three cars in front of you that you can't get in front of.
But yes, if you are doing stupid stuff, you might get me right behind your tail or pulling some maneuver to get in front of you - but only because you brought it on yourself.
Agreed!
I mean, if you aren't smart enough (or aggressive enough) to get in the middle of the intersection on a green to yellow situation so that not just you (or not even you) can make a left hand turn when it turns red, don't be surprised when I make that turn from behind you.
Tough call...I'd be tempted to toot-toot the horn to encourage their courage. What I can't stand is when the first-in-line is on their phone, left turn light goes green, they finally wake up and get through just as the light goes red, screwing over everyone behind them. When I am first in line at a left turn, I feel like all my teammates behind me are counting on me to hit the gas at the first sign of green and clear out of there. If someone ahead starts making the turn but then takes it overly slow, I will definitely swing wide (assuming there's not second turn lane) and end up going through the turn hugging their right rear quarter panel.
And please, when you are at a light in the right lane when you are going straight, if you can do it safely, you may want to consider moving up far enough so that the drivers behind you can make a right. I do this constantly yet almost NEVER EVER have it done for me.
Good road courtesy. (y)
Here's what people ALWAYS get wrong. You can be aggressive and considerate and safe and you can be conservative and an asshole and unsafe. I think non-aggressive drivers always think aggressive drivers are also unsafe assholes. I find the opposite to be much more likely - conservative drivers are the unsafe assholes. Of course, I have seen more than my share of aggressive unsafe assholes. And you know what I do, let them by me as quickly as I possibly can...
There are careful and cautious drivers who tend to do everything in slow motion but do it correctly and courteously. I try to give them a break. What I don't like are the oblivious, the careless, and the assertively inconsiderate. The ones who don't affirmatively try to make life easier on the other driver and/or aren't even aware of the other driver. They are the people who won't let you into a merging lane or won't open up a hole in a line of stop-and-go traffic to let you pull out, as if letting one car ahead is going to delay them at all. The ones who never signal. The ones who drive as-the-crow-flies across parking lots. The ones who camp in the left lane and won't move over when you flash-to-pass. The ones who drive 45 in a 55 and then keep driving 45 in a 25.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
It’s 2-4 car lengths behind a line of traffic at 75-80 where frequent merges result in sudden stops. If I don’t leave space, morons would rear end me when the traffic inevitably, invariably stops, as has happened before and one of these times I won’t surprise myself at my lack of violent response. And this shit doesn’t matter what lane anyone is in as lane discipline is non-existent. Try to get around and you’ll end up looking like all the other dopes that rear end or nearly rear end other people because they don’t look 10’ in front of their own ass to see there’s nowhere to fucking go. The problem is there are no consequences for dickless assholes not paying attention or thinking they’re in some loser’s video game causing crashes. Being generous, these people shouldn’t just permanently lose their licenses, but should be fined into oblivion based on the length and time of the backup they cause multiplied by the number of lanes, plus paying for every totaled car they cause to be fully replaced by a brand new one. I don’t care if they end up homeless selling their kids for drugs after all their shit is seized—there are too many damn people in this world to give chances to entitled, selfish, stupid asswipes.
Awesome rant! Cathartic. Better let it all out here than on the road! (y)

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Drive like everyone is trying to kill you. That used just be an excercise but since moving to NoVA its more reality than simile. Look for late cars the light turns green. Watch for unexpected lane changes, and don't trust people are turning even if their blinkers are on.

Treat driver aids as an aid but don't rely on them. Check over you're shoulder when changing lanes and backing up. Having driven a few vehicles with massive blindspots this is key.

I try to avoid driving alongside semis or big trucks. I'll wait till I can pass them then pass them rapidly. Same goes for anyone driving unussualy such as swerving or erratic speed. Hang back till you can pass them quickly. Also I assume pickups with trailers may have forgotten they are towing a trailer and may try to change lanes into to small of a space. The converse applies if I'm ever towing, I assume people don't see my trailer.

If you do make a questionable move like cutting someone off, keep an eye on them for possible road rage. I had someone purposely try to hit me once after the car in front of me braked hard when I was half way through a tight lane change leading me to pretty much brake check the guy behind me.

If traffic suddenly comes to a stop or slows drastically on a highway, ill ussualy turn my hazards on till another car has stopped behind me. Particularly in low visibility conditions.

Specifically for snow/winter driving, practice in an empty lot if you can but in general everything needs to be slower and gentler. Slow acceleration, slow braking, turn at low speeds. Basicly drive like you're grandma is in the passenger seat and has a coupe jars of full to the brim ice tea on her lap that don't have lids. Also, never brake through turns in slippery conditions.
Great post. (y)

·
Registered
2022 Trueno Blue 6MT GR86
268 Posts
I mean you can classify my driving as "douchey" as I will speed. But that's about it, you'll never catch me honking my horn, flicking people off, throwing my hands up. If I get cut off, once I get around them and in front of them again, I just make eye contact in my side mirror then tap on the mirror to tell them to check it next time. That's about it. Other than that, I just drive. I've been in a couple accidents, none of which were a) really bad, and b) avoidable. Well me flipping a Jeep because I was drifting was kinda bad (lowkey kinda fun too). The other 2 accidents were I rear ended someone in the rain because they got cut off and their tires didn't lock up as they broke for the cutter while mine did lock up (in the rain going 40 mph, I had 4 car lengths between us, I was just driving a Jeep Tank I mean Wrangler), and someone did a U turn and swung wide into my lane so I moved into the left lane and they didn't see me switch lanes I guess and ended up in front of me.

All that to say, I just drive. I have a pretty good sense of my surroundings, how people drive, how they get on the interstate, etc., I'm not defensive but I'm not overly aggressive.

·
Registered
103 Posts
TBH, I just drive. I'm sure I do some of the things in the list subconsciously, but nothing I go out of my way to specifically think about as I drive. I learned to drive and grew up in Chicago so it's all pretty much second nature at this point. In major metro areas like that you have to drive defensively offensively or you'll never survive.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Me, too. Bear bait.
I love people who clear outta my way when I’m speeding (I don’t tailgate). Not to sound douchebag-y but people are way too afraid of the police pulling them over. The odds that an officer in lying in wait at the exact moment you are breaking a traffic law and that he will pick you out of the probably hundreds of cars he’s seen that day is too low to matter. Drones will see a LEO vehicle in traffic and be afraid to do 5 over the limit or even pass.

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
807 Posts
All I can do is repeat what others have said. Drive like you're on a combat mission, and anyone around you could turn out to be the enemy.

If you don't like driving like that, then you don't need to be in a car. You'll need to be in a SUV minimum.
I reaaaaaally don't like that the solution to this is "drive something roughly the size and shape as a main battle tank".

·
Registered
BRZ (base) 6-spd due Jan. 2023
253 Posts
When I drove my Vette, everyone respected my space. When I drove the Civic Si, everyone tried to intimate me and push me off the road.

From what I've seen, the twins are "cute" enough to get a little respect. If they see you.

·
Registered
'22 MT GR86 Grey
214 Posts
Would be nice if that Rear Center Light was a Fog Light. Personally I'd be more inclined to modify it to be a Rear Fog Lamp, like is required in most European countries, than a forth brake light. Especially given how small and low these cars are, the extra visibility in heavy rain/ snow or other low visibility situations..
Japan has this feature in its top trim model (RZ). Red section in the middle of the light is a fog lamp.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I love people who clear outta my way when I’m speeding (I don’t tailgate). Not to sound douchebag-y but people are way too afraid of the police pulling them over. The odds that an officer in lying in wait at the exact moment you are breaking a traffic law and that he will pick you out of the probably hundreds of cars he’s seen that day is too low to matter. Drones will see a LEO vehicle in traffic and be afraid to do 5 over the limit or even pass.
You go first. I'll be behind you. Not right behind you, but not dropping back, either! :D

Best place to be is in the rocking chair. "That's a big 10-4 there Pig Pen...mercy sakes alive looks like we got us a convoy!"

21 - 40 of 53 Posts