Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

How to maintain visibility to other drivers?

• Bright wrap / decals

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Ultra bright LEDs on exterior

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Strobe light for 3rd brake light

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • Drive mainly in the right lane

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Honk

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • Turn on emergency flashers when someone is coming up fast behind you at a stop light

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Check the rearview mirror frequently to see if there are any tailgaters / aggressive drivers

Votes: 33 71.7%
  • Avoid driving in others' blind spots

Votes: 42 91.3%
  • Keep headlights in ON position (even during the day)

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Have foot hovering over the brake pedal

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • Observing where a driver's head is turned and where their wheels are pointed

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Leaving plenty of following distance from vehicle in front

Votes: 34 73.9%
  • Lifting off the accelerator at intersections when approaching a vehicle waiting to enter

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Ensuring your vehicle is not in a position hidden from other drivers when approaching an intersec

Votes: 27 58.7%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's winter - so what y'all doing to maintain visibility on the road when it gets dark out early and the roads are icy?

Was driving home from the MA86 Monthly Maryland Meet this past weekend, and an inattentive driver in an SUV almost T-boned us because the driver was texting. The only way we avoided the collision (which would have been a total loss) was because we were driving defensively, like usual, and anticipating other drivers would not be able to see our low-slung car.

I have seen at least a couple of BRZ/GR86 vehicles that are in the median because they miscalculate a turn or lane change and slide out from the highway during adverse weather conditions.

Installed this $35 4th Brake Light - I highly recommend it and stay safe out there! Enjoy your Thanksgiving!

·
Registered
2022 Steel GR86 Premium MT
155 Posts
As a general rule of thumb I just basically assume every single driver on the road can't see me.

More specifically I try to avoid being in people's blind spots or even alongside other cars or trucks on the highway. This is always something I tried to do but even moreso in these cars, especially when lowered. A lot of people don't know how to set their mirrors properly.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I drive with my headlights on at all times, day or night, just like a motorcycle and for the same reasons.

Like @Dom, I practice defensive driving such as lane positioning, space cushion, and making sure your vehicle is not in a position hidden from other drivers when approaching an intersection or passing traffic waiting to enter on the left or the right. I apply of lot of motorcycle road strategies to driving, such as observing at where a driver's head is turned and where their wheels are pointed, watching the top of the front tire of a stationary vehicle as the first indicator that it's starting to move, lifting off the accelerator at intersections or when approaching a vehicle waiting to enter, and keeping the foot hovering over the brake pedal for faster reaction time. With all the texters on the roads, keep a close watch on the rear view mirror. When stopping at a light, if you are the last vehicle in line, leave plenty of space in front of you; if it looks like the car behind isn't going to stop in time you can shoot forward to hopefully escape them. I also have a habit of tapping my brake pedal rapidly multiple times to hopefully wake up the driver behind me that I'm stopped.

·
Registered
GR86
39 Posts
Doesn't matter - you can drive brightest, loudest car - some fkn idiot will find a way to crash into you!!

Best bet is to drive as defensively as possible, plenty of following distance, watch for idiot making turns into your lane or following to close.

Even with all of that.. you'll come across a fkn moron driving in flip flop making left turn. Results.

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)

·
Registered
680 Posts
I drive like Ritter, particularly the keeping braking distance like I’ve got 4 drums and bias plies and also reactivating the brakes occasionally while slowing to better get the attention of these troglodytes. People sometimes ride my ass for keeping back a few car lengths, but they can blow me as all they’re doing is proving by doing so that my caution is warranted. I also treat every drive like a sortie.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I drive like Ritter, particularly the keeping braking distance like I’ve got 4 drums and bias plies and also reactivating the brakes occasionally while slowing to better get the attention of these troglodytes. People sometimes ride my ass for keeping back a few car lengths, but they can blow me as all they’re doing is proving by doing so that my caution is warranted. I also treat every drive like a sortie.
I don't mind people going their own speed, whatever that is, as long as they do it from the correct lane. Just a reminder people, there is no reason to be in the left lane no matter how fast you are going, if there is room in the other lanes.

And feel free to keep as many car lengths between you and the car ahead as you want. I actually like it when that happens - gives me plenty of room to move into hat that lane when I want to. Just don't get pissed at me when I do! If you do, I'll give you a friendly wave and a smile!

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
And feel free to keep as many car lengths between you and the car ahead as you want. I actually like it when that happens - gives me plenty of room to move inthat that lane when I want to. Just don't get pissed at me when I do! If you do, I'll give you a friendly wave and a smile!
You find yourself going too slow behind @Duchess, so you go around in order to go too slow behind the next car ahead. :LOL:

·
Registered
220 Posts
You find yourself going too slow behind @Duchess, so you go around in order to go too slow behind the next car ahead. :LOL:
Not always true (but sometimes). Don't you? If I wanted to drive like a Camry-owner, I would've bought a Camry.

In my opinion there are smart and stupid ways to drive aggressively but driving aggressively isn't in and of itself stupid. And fine with me if you don't want to - I am not trying to tell you what to do. Heck, I don't even do it all the time. There are sometimes I am happy to drive just above the speed limit. When I do, I am happy to watch others go by me at 95 because they are clearing out all the cops in front of me.

I don't tailgate anyone who is doing the right thing (driving in the correct lane, not trying to prevent me from going the speed I want for no reason other than they consider themselves to be independent police officers, etc.) I totally get it (as should everyone) if the highway is full, or if you are going as fast you can in the left lane and there are two - three cars in front of you that you can't get in front of.

But yes, if you are doing stupid stuff, you might get me right behind your tail or pulling some maneuver to get in front of you - but only because you brought it on yourself.

I mean, if you aren't smart enough (or aggressive enough) to get in the middle of the intersection on a green to yellow situation so that not just you (or not even you) can make a left hand turn when it turns red, don't be surprised when I make that turn from behind you. And please, when you are at a light in the right lane when you are going straight, if you can do it safely, you may want to consider moving up far enough so that the drivers behind you can make a right. I do this constantly yet almost NEVER EVER have it done for me.

Here's what people ALWAYS get wrong. You can be aggressive and considerate and safe and you can be conservative and an asshole and unsafe.

I think non-aggressive drivers always think aggressive drivers are also unsafe assholes. I find the opposite to be much more likely - conservative drivers are the unsafe assholes. Of course, I have seen more than my share of aggressive unsafe assholes. And you know what I do, let them by me as quickly as I possibly can...

·
Registered
680 Posts
I don't mind people going their own speed, whatever that is, as long as they do it from the correct lane. Just a reminder people, there is no reason to be in the left lane no matter how fast you are going, if there is room in the other lanes.

And feel free to keep as many car lengths between you and the car ahead as you want. I actually like it when that happens - gives me plenty of room to move into hat that lane when I want to. Just don't get pissed at me when I do! If you do, I'll give you a friendly wave and a smile!
It’s 2-4 car lengths behind a line of traffic at 75-80 where frequent merges result in sudden stops. If I don’t leave space, morons would rear end me when the traffic inevitably, invariably stops, as has happened before and one of these times I won’t surprise myself at my lack of violent response. And this shit doesn’t matter what lane anyone is in as lane discipline is non-existent. Try to get around and you’ll end up looking like all the other dopes that rear end or nearly rear end other people because they don’t look 10’ in front of their own ass to see there’s nowhere to fucking go. The problem is there are no consequences for dickless assholes not paying attention or thinking they’re in some loser’s video game causing crashes. Being generous, these people shouldn’t just permanently lose their licenses, but should be fined into oblivion based on the length and time of the backup they cause multiplied by the number of lanes, plus paying for every totaled car they cause to be fully replaced by a brand new one. I don’t care if they end up homeless selling their kids for drugs after all their shit is seized—there are too many damn people in this world to give chances to entitled, selfish, stupid asswipes.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It’s 2-4 car lengths behind a line of traffic at 75-80 where frequent merges result in sudden stops. If I don’t leave space, morons would rear end me when the traffic inevitably, invariably stops, as has happened before and one of these times I won’t surprise myself at my lack of violent response. And this shit doesn’t matter what lane anyone is in as lane discipline is non-existent. Try to get around and you’ll end up looking like all the other dopes that rear end or nearly rear end other people because they don’t look 10’ in front of their own ass to see there’s nowhere to fucking go. The problem is there are no consequences for dickless assholes not paying attention or thinking they’re in some loser’s video game causing crashes. Being generous, these people shouldn’t just permanently lose their licenses, but should be fined into oblivion based on the length and time of the backup they cause multiplied by the number of lanes, plus paying for every totaled car they cause to be fully replaced by a brand new one. I don’t care if they end up homeless selling their kids for drugs after all their shit is seized—there are too many damn people in this world to give chances to entitled, selfish, stupid asswipes.
We are in total agreement. Stupid, bad, non-aware, drivers are selfish, stupid asswipes (no matter what speed they are driving). The key to driving safely is not only your own skill, but to be able to recognize what each of the drivers around you is up to and likely to do. Obviously not easy to do and not always correct (as stereotyping is not always correct) - but certainly something you learn to do with time, experience and awareness. I guess it's why I haven't been in any kind of accident in over 30 years.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts