Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I already changed my oil after the 1000 mile break in. My Toyota app says I have to get an oil change at 3750 miles and then again at 7.5k miles (that’s when the Toyota maintenance plan thing kicks in). The owners manual says the first change is at 7.5k and that’s when I plan on doing the next one but I just want to see what everyone else who changed there oil after 1k is doing.

·
Registered
22 GR86 6MT; 22 Corolla
531 Posts
Excessively and 100% sure unnecessary soon. 8252mi on it right now. Got changed at 80, 1000, 3000ish (edit - 2434mi), and at least 3 more times that I can’t recall off the top of my head in between. Part of my post track day inspection I ask my local 86 specialty shop to do alignment when they inspect all the aftermarket parts prior to tech sign-off. Sometimes I forget to ask them and have my tech at dealer sign off. Then it goes to dealer for oil change and tyre rotation. I have absolutely no doubt Blackstone would tell me I’m being silly but it makes me feel warm and fuzzy :) Lots of free oil changes + relatively cheap insurance plus I take track inspections pretty seriously. I do not want to be responsible for causing an accident due to negligence on my part.

Edit: Duh, I forgot most of these are in the app, does not register work done by my local 86 shop so this is not 100% complete and accurate, I've slept since then :)

10 Feb - 2mi off truck; check in, left dealer with 6mi on odometer
26 Feb - 569 mi; first registered oil change at dealership '80mi oil change was at local 86 shop if i recall correctly so not in recorded in app', radio disconnect 'CarPlay' issue initially brought up if I recall, I may have brought this up sooner
03 Mar - 746 mi; radio issue 'CarPlay' escalated to Toyota corporate via service manager due to no improvement, spoiler install, few other msc items; received HomeKit long life battery mirror and installed myself (date may be off on mirror by a few weeks)
~2ish week of Mar - 1K oil change done by third party since falls outside of my free oil change agreement
7 Apr - 2434 mi; oil change and rotation , rear diff fluid change; could have swore I did rear diff sooner than this 'app does not appear to be 100% accurate'; in between this and next visit had almost 100% of all aftermarket parts installed 'rim/tyre installationat dealer' and camber adjustment at said 86 tuning shop 'they do superb work btw, kudos to my dealer as well they have been phenomenal'; tech inspection and sign-off by mechanic
20 Apr - 3,069 mi; oil change and rotation due to already being at dealer for DOT4 Castrol flush and swap prior to free Toyota track day
30 Apr - Free Toyota track day at CMP in Easley, SC, ran on PS4S
1-2nd weekend of May - Forget mileage; Oil change and post track inspection prior to NCM HPDE - not in Toyota app record since performed by local 86 shop 'hope this is accurate, this is from memory'
1 May - 27 May; Tech inspection prior to NCM by either dealer or 86 shop, I cannot remember which one
28-29 May - NCM HPDE weekend, had to cancel 29 due to ER visit; ran on PS4S; mid-day secondary track inspection prior to pro driver driving my car 'was a BLAST!'
1st week of June (forget miles currently) - Post track inspection at local 86 shop to verify aftermarket parts were in-spec
9 Jun - 5,009 mi; oil change and rotation but notes only list tyre/wheel fitment test
10 Jun - 6360mi; manual transmission fluid finally in stock at local dealer, had wheels rotated, oil changed
1-2 week of Jul - forget mileage; had damage from 2 wheel lift inspected; pre and post camber with insane toe misadjustments posted in some thread on here
24 Jun - 6875mi; RT660s fitted to second set of rims by dealer

There's definitely a few items missing but this is the bulk of it without spending time going through emails after email. When zits are fixed on front bumper and prior/post surgery will have another oil change prior to Sept trip. ~5K trip overall so planning on oil change once I'm there then another one when I return home.

These records above are just what shows up in my app, not 100% of all work maintenance and inspections done so far. Just what is easily accessible.

Going forward, I plan on sticking with oil changes approx. 2500mi since this falls within severe duty and tyre rotation/balance every other oil change. Had to postpone having the 4 zits on the front fixed 1 Aug due to cheque running behind from insurance and juggling surgery and other misc fun things happening. Was supposed to have at minimum 2 additional HPDEs but have cancelled remainder for this year. Not sure how recovery time will be and do not want to occupy a novice spot in HPDE that someone can use.

Tl;dr, I'm kind of a maintenance nut and do not want Toyota corporate to point to me neglecting oil changes and frequent oil level checks as a source of engine failure should the worst happen. This car has every single record of every single thing ever done to it as of 6mi of ownership.

·
Registered
GR86 MT Pavement
827 Posts
My maintenance screen says 6k miles to change.
I changed mine just before 1k like 955 or something.
I'll do it again at 6k . I'll also do more if I do the hpde or anything else classified as severe driving.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just want to make sure, since I am new to car ownership. Should I track my own oil changes on the Subaru app? So far I put entries for everything I do including installing exhaust and oil change, and I put "Self" as the service provider. Am I making a mistake by doing this?

I did my first oil change at around 2k miles because I went on a 1.6k mile road trip before completing my break-in.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,918 Posts
Every 5k. That is with normal\hard street driving. Track use will break it down and require more frequent changes. Without track use anything more often than 5k is excessive and not really helping anything.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Every 5k. That is with normal\hard street driving. Track use will break it down and require more frequent changes. Without track use anything more often than 5k is excessive and not really helping anything.
Are you running 0w20? My mind says go 5w30 for hot summers (95-100F afternoons here) and revert to the 0w20 for the winter months (though I’ll mostly be driving other vehicles in winter in Denver).

May be best to just go with a good quality at the owners manual specified weight. I’ll probably try fur a couple track days here this fall once break in is done (forever taking!)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I still do mine every 5K or 6 months, which ever comes first.
Every 6 months or so is my usual routine, too, but in large part due to climate. I’ll do an oil change in the spring and one in the fall, because doing it in the dead of winter ain’t pleasant. I don’t want to be wrenching on the car in sub-freezing temps.

·
Registered
2022 White BRZ
214 Posts
I just posted about this! I think early on in the life of the vehicle, more frequent = better. Then, ill go the route @TRU-BOOST said and just every 5k.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,918 Posts
Are you running 0w20? My mind says go 5w30 for hot summers (95-100F afternoons here) and revert to the 0w20 for the winter months (though I’ll mostly be driving other vehicles in winter in Denver).

May be best to just go with a good quality at the owners manual specified weight. I’ll probably try fur a couple track days here this fall once break in is done (forever taking!)
I run 5w20 all year except for track days. That gets 5w30. 5w20 is better in every situation at all times except if you live in the arctic circle. The use of 0w oils serves absolutely no purpose other than to humor the EPA. It claims to reduce friction at start up which is when the engine pollutes the most. Hypothetically it should make those 1st 2 minutes of driving more efficient. Real life results claim otherwise, but hey since when does anything the EPA does make sense...?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I run 5w20 all year except for track days. That gets 5w30. 5w20 is better in every situation at all times except if you live in the arctic circle. The use of 0w oils serves absolutely no purpose other than to humor the EPA. It claims to reduce friction at start up which is when the engine pollutes the most. Hypothetically it should make those 1st 2 minutes of driving more efficient. Real life results claim otherwise, but hey since when does anything the EPA does make sense...?
Good deal, thanks for the insight.

As far as the EPA… good intentions, and ambitious, but rubbish. I work in upstream oil and gas and some of the stuff those guys come out with is beyond questionable. No doubt about it, we need to preserve the environment and be responsible about development of all kinds, but I’m afraid that people think the government is on point when in reality they are missing the mark on so many levels. I have kids and I want to leave them something that isn’t so messed up, and my primary hobby is mountain biking in the woods, so I am invested in the future of our ecosystem. And yet, I can’t get behind some of the sheer nonsense coming from the regulators. Anyway, I’m done and cheers all!

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I still do mine every 5K or 6 months, which ever comes first.
My practice also. I would switch to 3K if the dipstick shows the oil getting too dark at 3K.

·
Registered
Premium MT, the only choice!
77 Posts
Do whatever makes you feel good. I've had cars that only got oil changes every 10 -25k miles and still went 230k miles. And were sold running with no issues.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I thought oil was good enough now to go up to 7k miles, is it just better to do it at 5k
With normal, street-legal driving, I wouldn’t feel uncomfortable with 7k intervals. Heck, the manufacturer’s recommended interval for my old BMW 325i was 15k! (I did not feel comfortable with that.)

…but it gets pretty darn cold where I live, so I f it hits October/November and I’m “only” at 5k, I’m changing the oil anyway so I don’t freeze my tail off doing it in December or January.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts