Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a BRZ and I've been experimenting filling up at the pump, I'm in north cal so 93 octane doesn't exist. So we only have 91, the first week I got the brz back in December i filled up at Costco and would average a rang of 220-230 on the digital cluster. After that I've been filling up at Arco and 76 and would average 230-240. And ever since I switched to Chevron I'm averaging 260-280 I'm just curious why does it fluctuate with different brands? I'm assuming it's the same gas but with their own additives for each station? Also wanted to add on with Costco I did hear a weird rattle everytime I cold start it, so I'm not sure if it's the gas itself but after not using that it went away. What are you guys averaging for your range?

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Bred Base MT
93 Posts
Been filling only with Costco premium. I’m averaging 260-280ish, when the light comes on at ~10miles left (what the display shows) I think if I go full empty like car not starting empty I could probably stretch to 290-300 miles/tank.

this is mostly 70% backroads/ 30% city

gas mileage has gotten better the more I’ve driven but I think that’s just me getting used to the car. I also haven’t really “beat” on it yet.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have a BRZ and I've been experimenting filling up at the pump, I'm in north cal so 93 octane doesn't exist. So we only have 91, the first week I got the brz back in December i filled up at Costco and would average a rang of 220-230 on the digital cluster. After that I've been filling up at Arco and 76 and would average 230-240. And ever since I switched to Chevron I'm averaging 260-280 I'm just curious why does it fluctuate with different brands? I'm assuming it's the same gas but with their own additives for each station? Also wanted to add on with Costco I did hear a weird rattle everything I cold start it, so I'm not sure if it's the gas itself but after not using that it went away. What are you guys averaging for your range?
Science demands that you go back to Costco one more time.

·
Registered
GR86 MT Pavement
671 Posts
I'd wager that most gas is within a very tight tolerance and you are noticing the car break in , the ecu learning and changing behavior. Have you mathed it out to verify the trip computer? They tend to be less consistent than you'd hope.

·
Registered
2022 White BRZ
155 Posts
I have a BRZ and I've been experimenting filling up at the pump, I'm in north cal so 93 octane doesn't exist. So we only have 91, the first week I got the brz back in December i filled up at Costco and would average a rang of 220-230 on the digital cluster. After that I've been filling up at Arco and 76 and would average 230-240. And ever since I switched to Chevron I'm averaging 260-280 I'm just curious why does it fluctuate with different brands? I'm assuming it's the same gas but with their own additives for each station? Also wanted to add on with Costco I did hear a weird rattle everytime I cold start it, so I'm not sure if it's the gas itself but after not using that it went away. What are you guys averaging for your range?
Honestly I don’t think the brand has anything to do with it, unless your test and driving habits between each fill-up have been infinitesimally identical. Too many variables to account for based on the information given. One of the easiest, is potentially driving with less of a lead foot. Another, is engine break-in

The only way i can see to prove different brands making that much of a change on MPG would be to fill up, and drive the same highway road each time setting cruise control.

·
Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 , 2019 Shelby GT350R
933 Posts
Been filling only with Costco premium. I’m averaging 260-280ish, when the light comes on at ~10miles left (what the display shows) I think if I go full empty like car not starting empty I could probably stretch to 290-300 miles/tank.

this is mostly 70% backroads/ 30% city

gas mileage has gotten better the more I’ve driven but I think that’s just me getting used to the car. I also haven’t really “beat” on it yet.
^^^ This ^^^

·
Registered
249 Posts
I think using a "how much on a tank" is not a vert good metric for looking at this given that 300 miles of highway driving is a lot dif than 300 street. You should be monitoring your overall combined mpg to get a better idea and also use the trip reset to track your avg speed. I get about 24.8 mpg in this car and I haven't taken it down to fumes yet. Given the tank size I will get 240-260 if I am about to drive to run out of gas. Sounds like the 230-280 range should be expected given types of roads traveled. Gas quality/station might impact this slightly depending on the winter additives but looks like overall you are right where you should be

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have mostly been doing canyons, backroads, and downtown driving and I’m averaging 21.0. But keep in mind I am driving HEAVY on the gas. I only use chevron 91 since there is no 93 here. On my 2 road trip recently I averaged 24.something. I think between 22-25 is normal for the car.

·
Registered
72 Posts
During the week I average 30-31mpg during my 270 miles of commuting. Weekends tend to bring the average down to 29mpg. At a 13 gallon capacity that means I could get +350 miles running it dry...the fuel gauge is really conservative.

Automatic Premium

·
Registered
2022 Halo White Toyota GR86 6MT
131 Posts
I only fill up with Shell Vpower (91 here in socal). I fill up at about quarter tank each time, but range anywhere from 225 to 250 miles at time of fill up. At about 1300 miles already, and the majority of my driving is highway miles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Don't look at the range on the tank for accuracy.
Track the odo at each fill-up and do the math. Too many variables in guessing.

Edit: I just saw I already replied saying the same thing haha.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts