Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Trueno Blue 6MT GR86
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to get a gauge of how long y'all wait until pulling off after starting it? I've heard people say when the rpms drop under 1K your good, or when the blue light goes off your good, etc.

Just wanted y'alls thoughts on it!

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
401 Posts
Here's Engineering Explained's explanation of the FA24D's startup:
Handwriting Product Rectangle Whiteboard Gesture

Looks like he might have the colors backwards on the drawing, though. Essentially, there's a longer period than most cars before it hits idle control, since it uses port injection to clean off the valves, and cycles between a bunch of different modes to warm everything up. For me, I need to shift it into Drive quickly, because the startup with my Perrin 3.0" exhaust is loud enough to wake the entire block (once it starts warming the cats).

Here's the full video:

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
271 Posts
when warmer, I wait until the cold temp light goes off and probably about a minute after that I start the drive and keep revs low until oil temps come up. In colder weather, it would be more like 3-4mins most likely.

in other cars, I used to wait until the rpms dropped down below 1k.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,918 Posts
When its warm start and go. I keep it at\under 2500 rpm which is basically where it idles at start up. From that point I watch my oil temp gauge. The coolant will warm up much faster and is pretty irrelevant. Once oil temp is over 150 its game on. When its cold out I do basically the same thing but I will allow the idle to settle below 1k before pulling off which is usually only about a minute. Just keep in mind how how it idles at cold start. If you keep it at or under that rpm, even if you pull off immediately you arent subjecting the engine to anything it wasnt already doing to itself.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited WRB
289 Posts
I live in Florida. The oil is never below 100F unless I leave well before the sun rises. I just get in and keep it under like 3k till the oil hits 150, which happens usually by the time I leave my neighborhood.

Perks of living in literal Hell+ (now with more humidity!) loooool

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I've always read that a cold engine will reach operating temperature sooner, and thus have less "gunk" buildup in the combustion pathways, if you just start the car and get underway gently instead of just sitting there idling. I usually start the engine, and since I have an automatic, I shift P to N to operate the transmission pump to build pressure and get the transmission fluid moving. Then I shift to D and idle on down my driveway. I pull out onto the highway and accelerate at a leisurely pace to a speed of about 50 mph. The engine warms up quickly and the period where Sport Mode is denied also goes away quickly.

Reactions: Mario0617

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
271 Posts
I live in Florida. The oil is never below 100F unless I leave well before the sun rises. I just get in and keep it under like 3k till the oil hits 150, which happens usually by the time I leave my neighborhood.

Perks of living in literal Hell+ (now with more humidity!) loooool
I HATED living there for my first 26yrs aside from the nice mild winters. I've heard traffic is much worse there now (left in '14) and that it gets a lot hotter for longer. Glad I got out, but I miss the general outlook most people had there vs out here in OR. Miss the food options too tbh...

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited WRB
289 Posts
I HATED living there for my first 26yrs aside from the nice mild winters. I've heard traffic is much worse there now (left in '14) and that it gets a lot hotter for longer. Glad I got out, but I miss the general outlook most people had there vs out here in OR. Miss the food options too tbh...
It has its positives. The plus side is getting to keep my Massachusetts salary living here. It’s kinda insane that my Florida colleagues doing the same job make 2/3s as much - but it works for me. The weather I guess is at least good for the engine (if not for me lmao).

IMO Florida is kinda like a k mart store brand, humid version of California. At least it’s still cheaper for now but it’s getting ridiculously expensive quickly and the traffic has gotten so bad it’ll make your head spin. I think the bottom on this place is on its way out if any of you guys are looking to move!

·
Registered
98 Posts
For sure, here in AZ, it's hot as hell right now, it's either already warmed up, or it warms up pretty fast lol
Pretty much, especially weeks when it doesn't dip below 90 during the AM. Most times in summer I just drive off slowly keeping it under 2k. Other than that I let it idle for about a minute to get the oil flowing then drive off.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Speaking of oil temperatures, what are you seeing on the street? I think I’m seeing about 200-205 after a 45 minute highway / city street drive with outside temps in the low 80s deg F.
Vehicle Odometer Speedometer Car Gauge

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited WRB
289 Posts
Speaking of oil temperatures, what are you seeing on the street? I think I’m seeing about 200-205 after a 45 minute highway / city street drive with outside temps in the low 80s deg F.
View attachment 11789
I get spot on the same as you. I do notice the car pulls quite a bit of timing in warmer weather once it’s ‘heat soaked’ though. Maybe it’s me, but I notice the difference a lot more on this car than any of my older NA cars - maybe tbc this one is the highest comp

·
Registered
BRZ Premium Manual due for delivery in Dec. 2022
57 Posts
I wait until the computer starts dropping the rpms. At that point the valves should be hot enough that they will seat properly and I can start driving unenthusiastically.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,918 Posts
I get spot on the same as you. I do notice the car pulls quite a bit of timing in warmer weather once it’s ‘heat soaked’ though. Maybe it’s me, but I notice the difference a lot more on this car than any of my older NA cars - maybe tbc this one is the highest comp
Yes it does. Its been in the upper 90s here for a few days and the car was noticably slower. I even tried with the AC off just for good measure but it didnt help. I did not have my scan device with me at the time to look at timing, but it was definitely down on power. I am going to add a gallon of E85 tomorrow when I fill up too see if it helps.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts