Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have driven many fast cars and had fun doing it. I am 53 and can tell you that the hour I just spent in my new 22 BRZ Limited Manual is the most fun I have had in a car while it was moving.

I have put 150 miles on the car this week and do not regret my purchase one bit.

Even keeping it below 4000 RPMs, this car is fun. It wants to go fast. It is really hard keeping it below 4000. I even turned on the alarm and everything. You can almost hit 100 in 6th at 4000 RPMs.

The manual transmission is near perfect. It wants to shift at a higher RPM though. So the break in period is going to be ruff on all of us.

Sure the car may not be for everyone. But if you are on here reading this you arent everyone. If you think it's for you, it probobly is. It's like driving a Porsche without the worries that come with that.

Any negatives I have are tiny nit picks.

I put all season Pilot Sports on and they worked and sounded great. 10 degrees today.

Yes the center console has come open but I will find a way around that. It's annoying that you don't get a spare but I'm ordering one from ezspare for 300. Not the easiest car to get out of but what would be that is this much fun. Turn signals would be better to have a click. But they taught me something I didn't know about my other Subarus. You can push up or down lightly and they only flash 3 times. Awesome. Stereo could have more bass, but a subwoofer should prob make the stereo near perfect for a sports car.

Nothing can compare for the smiles per dollar. Nothing. I thought it was more fun than my 2 Miatas or the Honda s2000 I drove. But everyone is different. The only car that came close to this much fun was my 88 Chrysler Conquest. Similar shape, weight and HP. But the Conquest had turbo lag and was made by Mitsubishi so it was hard to get service back then.

I will answer any questions with the utmost honesty. But I am already a huge fan. I test drove 2 first gen BRZs during my quest to find something fun over the past 7 months. This blew those out of the water.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ, Ice Silver, MT, Limited
297 Posts
Thanks for the writeup! I expect my experience to be similar to yours when my car arrives this spring. This car is what I’ve been waiting for as far as a toy/weekend car is concerned. I didn’t feel like screwing around with giant engines and overpriced Camaros or mustangs. The used market is awful right now with insane prices. Other choices are just out of reach financially. So….Subaru nailed it with this car for what I was looking for. And they did it at a price that didn’t even make the wifey frown much. :). Can’t wait!

·
Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 , 2019 Shelby GT350R
959 Posts
I have driven many fast cars and had fun doing it. I am 53 and can tell you that the hour I just spent in my new 22 BRZ Limited Manual is the most fun I have had in a car while it was moving.

I have put 150 miles on the car this week and do not regret my purchase one bit.

Even keeping it below 4000 RPMs, this car is fun. It wants to go fast. It is really hard keeping it below 4000. I even turned on the alarm and everything. You can almost hit 100 in 6th at 4000 RPMs.

The manual transmission is near perfect. It wants to shift at a higher RPM though. So the break in period is going to be ruff on all of us.

Sure the car may not be for everyone. But if you are on here reading this you arent everyone. If you think it's for you, it probobly is. It's like driving a Porsche without the worries that come with that.

Any negatives I have are tiny nit picks.

I put all season Pilot Sports on and they worked and sounded great. 10 degrees today.

Yes the center console has come open but I will find a way around that. It's annoying that you don't get a spare but I'm ordering one from ezspare for 300. Not the easiest car to get out of but what would be that is this much fun. Turn signals would be better to have a click. But they taught me something I didn't know about my other Subarus. You can push up or down lightly and they only flash 3 times. Awesome. Stereo could have more bass, but a subwoofer should prob make the stereo near perfect for a sports car.

Nothing can compare for the smiles per dollar. Nothing. I thought it was more fun than my 2 Miatas or the Honda s2000 I drove. But everyone is different. The only car that came close to this much fun was my 88 Chrysler Conquest. Similar shape, weight and HP. But the Conquest had turbo lag and was made by Mitsubishi so it was hard to get service back then.

I will answer any questions with the utmost honesty. But I am already a huge fan. I test drove 2 first gen BRZs during my quest to find something fun over the past 7 months. This blew those out of the water.
Thanks for the review. I’m a few years older an really look forward to my GR86 And seeing how it stacks up against the top 3 favorite cars which I’ve owned (E46 M3, Fiesta ST, Shelby GT350R). Every new car has quirks, but as you stated, they are nitpicks and take very little away from the whole driving experience. Good luck and have fun with it!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly I found it harder to get in and easier to get out lol
I moved the seat closer but reclined more. It felt more natural for driving too. That made easier to get in and out since I do the method of putting my ass in first and then my legs. And get out by putting both feet out and using the steering wheel I think to get out.

If it seems hard after a while I will simply push seat all the way back to get out and when I get in I'll have to pull the seat back up to where I like it. Even though I'm 6 foot 2 it's a lot of torso and I like to be a little closer to the pedals than some people. Just how I drive.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I moved the seat closer but reclined more. It felt more natural for driving too. That made easier to get in and out since I do the method of putting my ass in first and then my legs. And get out by putting both feet out and using the steering wheel I think to get out.

If it seems hard after a while I will simply push seat all the way back to get out and when I get in I'll have to pull the seat back up to where I like it. Even though I'm 6 foot 2 it's a lot of torso and I like to be a little closer to the pedals than some people. Just how I drive.
I thought of that to slide the seat all the way back to get out, but I was thinking of putting a rubber stop or clamp on the seat rail, so I will not have to relearn my best seat position to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought of that to slide the seat all the way back to get out, but I was thinking of putting a rubber stop or clamp on the seat rail, so I will not have to relearn my best seat position to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you figure an easy way of doing that I would hope you would share it. Great idea.

·
Registered
pending purchase either GR86/BRZ
16 Posts
Thanks for the review. I’m a few years older an really look forward to my GR86 And seeing how it stacks up against the top 3 favorite cars which I’ve owned (E46 M3, Fiesta ST, Shelby GT350R). Every new car has quirks, but as you stated, they are nitpicks and take very little away from the whole driving experience. Good luck and have fun with it!
GT350R, the ultimate track car and going to a GR86? Please explain that decision.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,484 Posts
GT350R, the ultimate track car and going to a GR86? Please explain that decision.
Perhaps he/she isn't a professional driver - while it sounds great to own these mega cars, the reality is that they are far to expensive/rare for people to risk pushing them to the limit on a track. Also its not exactly ideal to park them in public either...

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Loved reading this, @LanceLane174! great write-up and personal impressions.

I'm 5'-5" so I don't anticipate too many ingress and egress challenges! Small sports cars feel like they are actually made for someone my size.

Reactions: BobGPL

·
Registered
26 Posts
As someone who is also coming from a “better” and faster track car, and having tracked with a lot of fast Mustangs and similar, I would say that it is more fun and there is more learning to be had in driving a slower, good handling car, faster on track. Plus, less jeopardy in doing so. I bought my BRZ for exactly this reason. I can afford to walk away from it if the very worst happens. Less so my other car. I think it says volumes for the BRZ that owners of apparently better cars are buying it.

As for the GT350R - a great car and a decent track car but not even close to ultimate on the track. It’s fun to take your pride and joy on the track and learn about it, but you quickly learn that it is better than you are and also hugely compromised as a road car on the track. I see a lot of drivers of fast and heavy machinery basically only learning to keep their car from crashing on track and not really learning to drive well. The BRZ is perfect for learning to drive fast properly. Finally, fast cars just cost a lot to run on track regularly. The faster they are, the quicker you go through tires, brakes etc.

Just my perspective - great question by the way!

·
Registered
pending purchase either GR86/BRZ
16 Posts
As someone who is also coming from a “better” and faster track car, and having tracked with a lot of fast Mustangs and similar, I would say that it is more fun and there is more learning to be had in driving a slower, good handling car, faster on track. Plus, less jeopardy in doing so. I bought my BRZ for exactly this reason. I can afford to walk away from it if the very worst happens. Less so my other car. I think it says volumes for the BRZ that owners of apparently better cars are buying it.

As for the GT350R - a great car and a decent track car but not even close to ultimate on the track. It’s fun to take your pride and joy on the track and learn about it, but you quickly learn that it is better than you are and also hugely compromised as a road car on the track. I see a lot of drivers of fast and heavy machinery basically only learning to keep their car from crashing on track and not really learning to drive well. The BRZ is perfect for learning to drive fast properly. Finally, fast cars just cost a lot to run on track regularly. The faster they are, the quicker you go through tires, brakes etc.

Just my perspective - great question by the way!
Being an owner of a semi-track worthy mustang and also waiting for my GR86 to arrive, I was trying to get a response from the GT350R owner to compare to my reasoning for the purchase? How about a description of the Shelby as the " ultimate American made track car for the 2015-19 era "?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Being an owner of a semi-track worthy mustang and also waiting for my GR86 to arrive, I was trying to get a response from the GT350R owner to compare to my reasoning for the purchase? How about a description of the Shelby as the " ultimate American made track car for the 2015-19 era "?
Apologies - I made an incorrect assumption about your reason for asking. Anyway, good to see people from all walks of car life coming to the BRZ/GR86!

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Track Bred Premium MT
1,034 Posts
If you think getting in and out of these cars is tough, you should try getting in and out of the new Supra. There was one in the show room of my local Toyota dealer last year and I went to check it out. Getting in wasn’t too hard, but getting out…Let’s just say I’m glad the show room was empty, and I ended up on the floor🤣

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't think I can get in the passenger side. Lol.

We have a Ford focus at work that I hate getting in and out of. I have this one so that it isn't much harder than getting in and out of my Legacy. Certainly it is easier to get into the wife's Forester than either of those. But that isn't nearly as fun of a car. Maybe if they had offered the turbo in 2020.

·
Registered
2017 GT350r, 2022 Toyota GR86
7 Posts
I am also the owner of a GT350r and will be taking delivery of a new GR86 at the end of the month. Driving the 350r around town is a bit of a joke...you can never experience the whole car (or even half of it) without breaking every law out there, so the first reason I looked at the 86 was that is isn't so powerful or over the top to enjoy as a backroad cruiser, which I've always loved doing. The main reason though was for the track. There are a few tracks around where I live and they all have different characteristics. The 350r as the previous poster mentioned, is a big heavy and powerful car...it is amazing on track no doubt but depending on what track you are on (smaller more technical tracks especially) all the extra power and weight does is eat your tires and brakes to the point where the cost of your track days become unjustifiable. I bought my GR86 with the express purpose of taking it to the smaller more technical tracks to improve my driving while saving some $$$ because they are way easier on consumables and even when you do have to buy them, the brakes and tires are (relative to the Shelby) so cheap. This combined with the fact that I don't want to rack up a ton of mileage on the 350 because it is a lot more valuable sealed the deal for me. I will still take the Shelby to Mosport (a very high speed track) a half dozen times or so a season where it can actually use its power, but use the 86 for all my other track days. I would say a good quarter of the cars at these tracks are older fr-s, BRZ and 86s, and they have a blast with them out there.

·
Registered
610 Posts
If you think getting in and out of these cars is tough, you should try getting in and out of the new Supra. There was one in the show room of my local Toyota dealer last year and I went to check it out. Getting in wasn’t too hard, but getting out…Let’s just say I’m glad the show room was empty, and I ended up on the floor🤣
Yup this happened to me as well! I was able to wedge myself inside the Supra but getting out was such a mess it was like the car was giving birth to me 😅

·
Registered
610 Posts
I am also the owner of a GT350r and will be taking delivery of a new GR86 at the end of the month. Driving the 350r around town is a bit of a joke...you can never experience the whole car (or even half of it) without breaking every law out there, so the first reason I looked at the 86 was that is isn't so powerful or over the top to enjoy as a backroad cruiser, which I've always loved doing. The main reason though was for the track. There are a few tracks around where I live and they all have different characteristics. The 350r as the previous poster mentioned, is a big heavy and powerful car...it is amazing on track no doubt but depending on what track you are on (smaller more technical tracks especially) all the extra power and weight does is eat your tires and brakes to the point where the cost of your track days become unjustifiable. I bought my GR86 with the express purpose of taking it to the smaller more technical tracks to improve my driving while saving some $$$ because they are way easier on consumables and even when you do have to buy them, the brakes and tires are (relative to the Shelby) so cheap. This combined with the fact that I don't want to rack up a ton of mileage on the 350 because it is a lot more valuable sealed the deal for me. I will still take the Shelby to Mosport (a very high speed track) a half dozen times or so a season where it can actually use its power, but use the 86 for all my other track days. I would say a good quarter of the cars at these tracks are older fr-s, BRZ and 86s, and they have a blast with them out there.
Welcome to the forum @KBT! Do you plan on keeping the GR86 stock for track days or will you be making any modifications to it?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts