Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a stock vs HKS exaust.

Stock looks like it gets about 156kw at the wheels, and 227nm of torque.

This would translate to 209hp and 167lb/ft =D

Everything is pointing to a nice little bit of under-rating in official power numbers, just like the GR Supra and the GR Yaris.

Wheel Tire Hood Automotive lighting Line

·
Super Moderator
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could this be explained by the manufacture measuring the HP and torque before the engine is "broke-in"? It might be a legal thing that they have to take measurements in a new state which is how they are being sold.
Yeah it could be - certainly when an engine is fresh it performs relatively poorly due to all the extra friction.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Its a stock vs HKS exaust.

Stock looks like it gets about 156kw at the wheels, and 227nm of torque.

This would translate to 209hp and 167lb/ft =D

Everything is pointing to a nice little bit of under-rating in official power numbers, just like the GR Supra and the GR Yaris.

View attachment 2607
I wonder after all the simple HKS mods (exhaust, intake etc.) how much power the BRZ will make.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Looks like Toyota learned something about BMW about underselling and overdelivering on their power numbers.
You mean Subaru. They took on the majority of the project this time around. I think they’ve become very passionate about the platform over the years. A lot of STI’s videos are focused on the BRZ and GT racing

·
Super Moderator
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's interesting to see how this chart compares to the one that was released today for the GR86.

View attachment 2644
There is a short, but more pronounced dip at the wheels. As mentioned a lot we also look to have some 'extra' power, or the drivetrain losses are crazy good.

Here is the thing about the dip, its not about having one (a lot of cars have them) its about affording to have one. The last car (even after it was updated and improved a bit) did not have enough outright torque to afford the long and deep one it had.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks like quite a significant dip again. Everybody is hailing the peak torque at 3700rpm but what really counts for your net power during a lap is the increase in surface on this plot between the rpms that you’re really using. The previous model also had a peak at around 3700rpm but it’s second peak at 6000+ was just a tad higher where the FA24 doesn’t climb anymore after it’s out of the peak. It looks to me like all the journalists are sheepishly saying the same thing about the peak torque without really understanding what they’re talking about. The only thing for acceleration that really counts is the surface area under the plot of the POWER curve; not the torque curve. That’s why you can make a car faster with better gearing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Looks like quite a significant dip again. Everybody is hailing the peak torque at 3700rpm but what really counts for your net power during a lap is the increase in surface on this plot between the rpms that you’re really using. The previous model also had a peak at around 3700rpm but it’s second peak at 6000+ was just a tad higher where the FA24 doesn’t climb anymore after it’s out of the peak. It looks to me like all the journalists are sheepishly saying the same thing about the peak torque without really understanding what they’re talking about. The only thing for acceleration that really counts is the surface area under the plot of the POWER curve; not the torque curve. That’s why you can make a car faster with better gearing.
I mean ‘after it’s out of the dip’ iso ‘out of the peak’

·
Registered
136 Posts
To be honest.. I cannot imagine that drive train loss is only about 19hp.
Last gen 86 had a loss of around 45-50hp crank to the wheels.. (if i remember correctly)
What i can imagine is that Toyota underestimates the power figures for this car.
Most likely it has about 235-240hp at crank.

·
Registered
136 Posts
According to this video the original 86 has 199hp and 47hp drive train loss (metric). So it has 152hp at the wheels.
Maybe they have figured it out to reduce the inner friction about 15 percent for the 2022 model. Then we have 40hp loss. With around 210hp at the wheels we would still end up with 250hp at the engine.
Thats around 246hp in non metric. So according to my 'accurate calculcations' Toyota is clearly lying about engine power output.

Guy in the video is a well known german tuner with focus on 86s.

·
Super Moderator
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
According to this video the original 86 has 199hp and 47hp drive train loss (metric). So it has 152hp at the wheels.
Maybe they have figured it out to reduce the inner friction about 15 percent for the 2022 model. Then we have 40hp loss. With around 210hp at the wheels we would still end up with 250hp at the engine.
Thats around 246hp in non metric. So according to my 'accurate calculcations' Toyota is clearly lying about engine power output.

Guy in the video is a well known german tuner with focus on 86s.
I think he said it was on 102 octane. That's a similar to e85 I think. But certainly seems like he got a good one.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think he said it was on 102 octane. That's a similar to e85 I think. But certainly seems like he got a good one.
Don’t know about E85 but standard tune was for 95 octane so 102 is significantly more. 102 isn’t available in many countries in the EU but I know you can get it in Germany and Luxemburg at a lot of gasstations.

·
Registered
136 Posts
He states that the Gt86 is tuned for 98 octane but usually gets the most power out of 102 octane(normal petrol). The model he is tuning is filled with 102 octane.
E85 is different and can also not be mixed with petrol 102 octane. But you can even get more Power out of it.
E85 is very common in the states but in europe at just a few tank stations. I think I would have to drive 35km to find the next E85 gas station. And I live in a crowded area.
Maybe the Gr86 has 228hp with 95-98 octane and even more with higher octane. That would be very nice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.