Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Toyota Corolla Hatchback 2019
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my BRZ the other day and I am more than excited to have this car! The first thing I noticed is the hill start assist light is on by default from the dealership.

When I went for a test drive, I took it on a hill and noticed there was significant roll back. The car was in 1st gear and the clutch was depressed and once I let off the brakes, the car began to roll as if it wasn't on. I have driven a friends 2017 WRX with the hill start assist on and when I am on a hill, that thing stays in place like a rock for a couple of seconds.

Now I know how to properly hill start with the hand brake and a "true enthusiast" disables it haha. I will be disabling the hill start assist once I get a better feel for the car. I'm just curious if other people have experienced it as well as it kinda caught me off guard. I'll also study the manual a bit more, maybe there was something I did incorrectly lol

Here is a photo as thanks for reading.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Sport-Tech 6MT, WR Blue
39 Posts
I just got my BRZ the other day and I am more than excited to have this car! The first thing I noticed is the hill start assist light is on by default from the dealership.

When I went for a test drive, I took it on a hill and noticed there was significant roll back. The car was in 1st gear and the clutch was depressed and once I let off the brakes, the car began to roll as if it wasn't on. I have driven a friends 2017 WRX with the hill start assist on and when I am on a hill, that thing stays in place like a rock for a couple of seconds.

Now I know how to properly hill start with the hand brake and a "true enthusiast" disables it haha. I will be disabling the hill start assist once I get a better feel for the car. I'm just curious if other people have experienced it as well as it kinda caught me off guard. I'll also study the manual a bit more, maybe there was something I did incorrectly lol

Here is a photo as thanks for reading. View attachment 3033
I got mine yesterday and yes, it was also on, but mine actually caught me in my driveway. I was trying to back in and I didn't get the momentum right. Started rolling forward again and I smacked the brakes to stop the forward roll. Trying to feather the clutch to back up some more, I noticed the hill assist had engaged.

There is a secret "konami code" in the manual to disable it. I RTFM'd last night before bed and came across the sequence to disable it.

I might disable after my muscle memory comes back. It's been a bit over 5 years since I drove a manual, my starts from stopped are a little rough.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I got mine yesterday and yes, it was also on, but mine actually caught me in my driveway. I was trying to back in and I didn't get the momentum right. Started rolling forward again and I smacked the brakes to stop the forward roll. Trying to feather the clutch to back up some more, I noticed the hill assist had engaged.

There is a secret "konami code" in the manual to disable it. I RTFM'd last night before bed and came across the sequence to disable it.

I might disable after my muscle memory comes back. It's been a bit over 5 years since I drove a manual, my starts from stopped are a little rough.
Best way to learn a clutch is on flat level ground and starting in 1st gear with just the clutch, no gas until you are fully off the clutch. Do that a few times and you will get a much better feel for it.

I have hill assist in my Mazda 3 but there is no light for it, it engages automatically when you are on a specific percent incline. I find it very helpful.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured it out! So how it works is you have to press down the brake a bit harder than you usually would and then the car will take that brake force and hold the car on an incline once you let go of the break to press the clutch in. It holds it for about 2 seconds before letting go giving you enough time to catch the bite point.

I wasn't pressing down on the brake hard enough so the brake force wasn't transferring over.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't get it - why would you want to disable it? It does not interfere with anything. Took me half a year to notice one of my current cars had it, but find it pretty useful.
Haha honestly I don't get it either. It's an enthusiast thing I think. Demonstrating you can effectively start the car on an incline without the assist shows skill I guess haha.

Personally I don't mind the hill assist. It comes in handy with super hilly areas and if you park in an inclined/declined driveway.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't mind the system in my wrx, but is it true you get a permanent light on the dash?
It comes from the dealer default and on but there is a certain "Konami code" you can input to disable it. I think its a similar input to your wrx.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turn it off. Use the handbrake on steep inclines if needed. Manual driver points + 10..!!
LOL! Like I mentioned in another thread, I learned how to drive stick in my cousin's evo 10 which has no assists. I also took a manual driving class and learned from that as well. So I'm comfortable with hill starts.

It just caught me off guard because it comes from the dealer with it on by default and It didn't really work when I was messing around with it haha. I figured out how to get it to work which is nothing like how it is in my friend's 2017 wrx.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think it is funny that everyone is complaining about the light. There are all kinds of lights on iny legacy and Forester since I turn off some of the nanny crap. It never seems to bother me.

Maybe it will in the BRZ. We shall see in a few days.

But for someone who hasn't driven a stick in 20 years, I will take any help I can get on a hill. And I never had problems on hills. It seems like a just in case kind of thing for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I guess it is petty on my part, I just can't stand a light that I have no control over. As far as manual points I often drive my old c3 (1970) around with the e-brake removed (for a bigger sway bar and trailing arms). Gotta be lightning fast catching that one and hill parks are especially fun!

I just want the stupid light off...

·
Registered
2022 BRZ Limited 6MT
23 Posts
I live in flat Florida…so don’t need it but more so because the light bothered me :) - turned it off tonight via the manual instructions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts