Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,886 Posts
Anything you can do to free up more cold air flow is a positive thing for the engine. This, as far as I can tell, could certainly do that using a sealed box (carbon fiber is also a good insulator from external heat), smoother material for the pipe, and a larger air filter diameter.

The standard ECU code within the car has the ability to adjust for airflow and temp (within reason), so its a mod that doesn't require ECU tuning (unlike exhaust related mods where backpressure and so forth are kind of more intrinsic to the mapping). However potentially due to different position of the airflow sensor there it might need a bit of a tweak.

There are other factors involved of course, only CFD can properly simulate flow and so with the majority of designs this doesnt happen etc. But this is certainly not a bogus part just from looking at it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Anything you can do to free up more cold air flow is a positive thing for the engine. This, as far as I can tell, could certainly do that using a sealed box (carbon fiber is also a good insulator from external heat), smoother material for the pipe, and a larger air filter diameter.

The standard ECU code within the car has the ability to adjust for airflow and temp (within reason), so its a mod that doesn't require ECU tuning (unlike exhaust related mods where backpressure and so forth are kind of more intrinsic to the mapping). However potentially due to different position of the airflow sensor there it might need a bit of a tweak.

There are other factors involved of course, only CFD can properly simulate flow and so with the majority of designs this doesnt happen etc. But this is certainly not a bogus part just from looking at it.
Well - for starters it LOOKS like a bogus product. More specifically, it looks like a product designed for a certain consumer who cares far more about looks (even awful ones like this) than they do about performance.

But I don't disagree that this COULD provide performance benefits (although I personally have my doubts). Which is why we were all calling for dyno tests - their absence is conspicuous. But even if it does, they will be slight (just like all the K&N filters/intakes) and probably would relate mostly to a filter that is more free-flowing, rather than actually getting more air or colder air through the intake - which raises a whole other set of questions vis-a-vis the filter adequately doing what it is supposed to. But I digress ...

I've got no problems if companies like this want to sell mods like this to a certain consumer who wants to buy mods like this. But I didn't force them to post - and if they do (which they did) - I (and the rest of the forum that feels like I do) can have a lot of fun roasting them! :)

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,886 Posts
Well - for starters it LOOKS like a bogus product. More specifically, it looks like a product designed for a certain consumer who cares far more about looks (even awful ones like this) than they do about performance.

But I don't disagree that this COULD provide performance benefits (although I personally have my doubts). Which is why we were all calling for dyno tests - their absence is conspicuous. But even if it does, they will be slight (just like all the K&N filters/intakes) and probably would relate mostly to a filter that is more free-flowing, rather than actually getting more air or colder air through the intake - which raises a whole other set of questions vis-a-vis the filter adequately doing what it is supposed to. But I digress ...

I've got no problems if companies like this want to sell mods like this to a certain consumer who wants to buy mods like this. But I didn't force them to post - and if they do (which they did) - I (and the rest of the forum that feels like I do) can have a lot of fun roasting them! :)
Potentially its going to be similar owing to its same as stock inflow? I mean there are a few material differences, with a bit of carbon fibre, and what looks to be black anodized aluminium for the most of it, but with overall a little less total area exposing the intake to heat (no extra little Helmholtz tubes etc. Honestly I think if you want to really work on reducing air temps further would be to wrap it in a reflective material to assist with rejecting the emissive type of heat across all of the under bonnet parts of the intake - so the tube and the box. But again you could do that on the stock intake parts of you wanted to, though it wouldn't have the increase in flow they report with this one.

I mean, they seemed to put some time into even doing CFD by the stuff they have on the website, so its not some two bit part from a cheap labour country. In the end much of what comes out in dyno tunes for air filters and air intakes are all crap from manufacturers anyway, but eventually there will be people that will do some intake shootouts and so forth, which can be more enlightening.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
2,789 Posts
Pipe size, shape and placement of the MAF can cause more power gain\loss than anything the new filter and silicone hose has to offer. Any changes to how the air passes the meter will change how the car adjusts fueling. Some of the changes will just be counteracted by adjustments made when the ECU sees changes to the AFR. How that plays out for better or worse is yet to be seen because it seems these companies like to just pump out parts that "fit" without having any idea what impact they actually make. Most aftermarket parts unfortunately do not have anywhere near the level of engineering and testing as oem parts. None of them do flow bench testing. None of them measure fluid dynamics or turbulence. They rig up parts that fit and call it performance product. There needs to be some kind of data offered. Some kind of test results. Dyno charts are nice, but can also be easily manipulated. At the same time this part is already priced at double what it should. Just imagine what it would cost if any kind of proper time consuming testing was done.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Is there any negative with removing the Charcoal Filter and keeping the stock filter pad? Until I see some real dyno numbers (which I have seen on the removal of the Charcoal Filter), I'm not prone to making a move on an after market cold air intake.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
2,789 Posts
Is there any negative with removing the Charcoal Filter and keeping the stock filter pad?
Sleepy Joe Biden will come hunt you down for blatantly contributing to an imaginary, non existent problem that the EPA says is a real thing. Then you are in big trouble and must trade the car in for an American made EV crossover to repent your sins. Something like a mustang mach-e. The government will hook you up with a 7500 credit. Disregard the fact that Ford raised the price of the mach-e by over 8k the next day.
😂

Reactions: CincyJohn

·
Registered
220 Posts
Let me try and re-state the question so it does not come out political. Will there be any negative effect on the Mav sensor or causing the fuel to run rich if the charcoal filter is removed. Simple question!
Simple answer - nobody has reported any issues (assume you mean MAF - don't know what a MAV is).

Another point - highly unlikely, but not impossible, that Toyota or Subaru would attempt to reject a warranty claim if they found this OEM piece of equipment removed from a car with a warranty issue. Would be a difficult claim for them to make especially since there are many non-US markets that don't include this little piece of nonsense, but as people like to tell us, never underestimate what a dealer/Toyota/Subaru are capable of.

A third point - the effect of removing this, while demonstrable and real, is not particularly significant. However, when you start adding things in like freer flowing exhaust and headers, combined with e85 and a tune designed to take advantage of all of this, it would seem to be an obvious mod to do at that time.

Fourth point, while the RTV/oil issue has, I believe, been way overblown on here, it appears to be a real issue that anyone of us might have to deal with.

My conclusion from all of the above. I am not going to do anything that could potentially void my warranty (no matter how small of chance that is) until I know about what regular potential warranty issues arise with this car, particularly one that might require a replacement engine. HOWEVER, there is no question that when I tune my car and replace the headers/exhaust (all of which I plan/hope to do at some point), the charcoal diaper will come out.

·
Vendor
2023 BRZ Limited 6MT - WR Blue Pearl
902 Posts
I was just curious. Considering complaints made on this web site about the price, the Intake now is retailing for $680 USD.
Still has a long way to go before even being on the radar when it comes to price... and it's also ugly as hell. I literally wouldn't put that on my car if they gave it to me for free.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts