Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
IMHO, doing basic bolt-ons on N/A cars expecting HP gains is pretty silly. If it's a change in intake/exhaust sound that you're after then it makes more sense and is far more applicable. I plan on doing an OEM GR exhaust but that's strictly for sound improvement. The pricing on these and other intake kits are approaching what you would pay for kits on MUCH MUCH more expensive vehicles.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
2,789 Posts
Im trying to be open minded. I dont think the product itself is bad in any way. But when I see it I think to myself "I would pay $400 for that."

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im trying to be open minded. I dont think the product itself is bad in any way. But when I see it I think to myself "I would pay $400 for that."
Am I crazy or is the lid the only thing carbon about this kit? That being said, the price is way out of line for the materials being used. $400 would prob be top of the mark for something like this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So, like an exhaust it's all about the sound. No real power gain most likely. Sounded decent. But the argument can be made that if an exhaust costs this much why should an intake be any cheaper? My only thought is that historically closed air Intakes never cost this much. But perhaps over the past 2 years of Covid and supply change issues as well as inflation this is the new reality for intakes. It either that or just out right greed.

·
Vendor
2023 BRZ Limited 6MT - WR Blue Pearl
902 Posts
So, like an exhaust it's all about the sound. No real power gain most likely. Sounded decent. But the argument can be made that if an exhaust costs this much why should an intake be any cheaper? My only thought is that historically closed air Intakes never cost this much. But perhaps over the past 2 years of Covid and supply change issues as well as inflation this is the new reality for intakes. It either that or just out right greed.
Stainless Steel is expensive and much more labor intensive to make than an Sheet Metal intake box with a molded "carbon" fiber lid and a cheap chinese filter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
at least an exhaust is like 6ft of stainless steel plus resonators. This is a sheet metal box with an honestly not attractive carbon fiber lid.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes of course. But I'm saying "any" vendor needs to be doing this for cold air intakes. There is a sense of too many false promises with the result being your wallet is being emptied. Realistically I cannot see much in the way of significant improved horsepower and torque. However, maintaining horsepower and existing torque from the factory would at least be reasonable to expect. Further, the importance of temperature readings to prove that these are actually "cold air" intakes would be beneficial. Then it's really about comparing the sound to the factory electronic intake to see which sounds better.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Could somebody please explain to me where the term “cold air” has any meaning whatsoever in the replacement intake scam?

Most actually are hot air intakes straight from the engine bay. At least this one appears to be a “no hotter than stock” air intake. But unless you have some sort of intercooler or ammonia spray setup (which I’ve never seen), please, please, do not continue to insult our intelligence through the fraudulent use of “cold air” to describe your aftermarket intake.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Could somebody please explain to me where the term “cold air” has any meaning whatsoever in the replacement intake scam?

Most actually are hot air intakes straight from the engine bay. At least this one appears to be a “no hotter than stock” air intake. But unless you have some sort of intercooler or ammonia spray setup (which I’ve never seen), please, please, do not continue to insult our intelligence through the continued fraudulent use of “cold air” to describe your aftermarket intake.
Really brings me back to '01 with my buddy's Acura Integra LS with "cold air" intake. In this case, "cold air" meant that for $150, you would have the ability to hydro-lock your motor in a modest puddle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When you are not dealing with a turbo motor real power gains appear to be difficult to come by without a tune. I know there has been some success with removing the Charcoal filter. I just wonder if over time that can affect air ducts with debris and would the Mav Sensor be affected over time.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts