·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant

Looking forward to getting a GR86 with MT. Not sure how long I’ll have to wait though. Pretty much decided I don’t need the Premium version, and not too fussy about color but would prefer red, white, asphalt grey, steel grey and Truano blue in that order. The manual trans is the big deal breaker.

Was disappointed to read here that 70% will be automatics. Though the fact people want a car like this with an auto puzzles me to no end. I owned three Vettes—‘66, ‘60 and ‘94–it always surprised me how many Vettes had auto transmissions, especially starting in like late 1970s. Half the fun of owning a sports car is going through the gears. My first car was a Triumph TR3, and then came an AH Sprite, MGB and also a ‘68 Chevy Malibou and an ‘87 MR2. All sticks.

My current ride is an ‘06 Acura RSX Type S, which I love. (photos. above) Bought it new and kept it stock. Hence the interest in the GR86. It’s the closest thing to my RSX without costing an arm snd s leg. It’ll be for sale after I get the GR86. Currently 120K miles and what I would characterize as excellent mechanical condition and somewhere between good and very good condition. I bought it new 16 years ago come July. The only thing I’ve done is tires snd brakes in all these years. It is among the best cars I have ever owned. And a lot of fun to drive.

I have been in contact with the local Toyota dealer about the GR86 but not getting much information. Though I did get an email a few days ago that said they were supposed to get one or two in sometime in the next few weeks that I could take a look at. I am guessing they’re already spoken for. Frankly from what I am hearing it wouldn’t surprise me if I have to wait until at least July to get one minus the outrageous dealer markup.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey! Also in SW Florida. Currently own a 2017 civic si that I am considering trading in for a Gr86. Haven’t tried talking to any local dealerships yet, since I haven’t fully committed. Good luck with your sale and future purchase

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey! Also in SW Florida. Currently own a 2017 civic si that I am considering trading in for a Gr86. Haven’t tried talking to any local dealerships yet, since I haven’t fully committed. Good luck with your sale and future purchase
Thanks. I am in Naples/Ft. Myers area. Let me know what luck you have finding a GR86.

I am thinking of seeing if a deposit will help speed things along at Toyota dealer in north Naples. They are planning on getting two by end of next week. I think they’re already spoken for. But they said they’d give me a call so I could look at them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. I am in Naples/Ft. Myers area. Let me know what luck you have finding a GR86.

I am thinking of seeing if a deposit will help speed things along at Toyota dealer in north Naples. They are planning on getting two by end of next week. I think they’re already spoken for. But they said they’d give me a call so I could look at them.
Nice I am too, was going to check out the ft myers dealership sometime next week, I’m sure a test drive will get me to make my mind up if I really am ready to let go of the civic. Also might have a friend interested in that rsx, it’s a beauty

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice I am too, was going to check out the ft myers dealership sometime next week, I’m sure a test drive will get me to make my mind up if I really am ready to let go of the civic. Also might have a friend interested in that rsx, it’s a beauty
Hopefully they have one to test drive.
Nice RSX Type S, impossible to find a clean one nowadays. When you get your GR86 let me know how much you are selling it for lol.

Thanks. will let you know when I’m good to sell. Could be awhile though until I can find the Toyota. Was thinking 9K or best offer..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the forum @Boomer2677! That's one beautiful RSX, how long have you had it for? Did you consider getting the BRZ at all or were you set on the GR86?
Thanks. It’s got the typical dings, and paint starting to fade on roof and rear trunk lid from Florida sun. But I took pretty good care of it. I am the original owner. 16 years come July. 120K miles. Tires and brakes the only serious work done on it. Had to replace leather on center arm trst. Right now it needs new floor mats.

BRZ is not out of the question. Frankly I don’t see much difference. Just leaning towards GR86. We have a 2014 RAV4, andreally happy with how Toyota has treated us. Plus the GR86 a little cheaper. I think they also include some complimentary track time.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver Metallic BRZ
56 Posts
Thanks. It’s got the typical dings, and paint starting to fade on roof and rear trunk lid from Florida sun. But I took pretty good care of it. I am the original owner. 16 years come July. 120K miles. Tires and brakes the only serious work done on it. Had to replace leather on center arm trst. Right now it needs new floor mats.

BRZ is not out of the question. Frankly I don’t see much difference. Just leaning towards GR86. We have a 2014 RAV4, andreally happy with how Toyota has treated us. Plus the GR86 a little cheaper. I think they also include some complimentary track time.
Almost ever GR86 I’ve seen so far has had crazy mark ups sadly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cirasa: I got a call that my GR86 is arriving in next three weeks. I posted an ad for the RSX Type S. $11K or best offer. I am just giving you a heads up in case you were might be interested. That said I am not going to give up the Acura until I get the GR86.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
can you share the deal you are getting with your GR86?
can you share the deal you are getting with your GR86?

I gave them $1,000 back in January. Here's the paperwork they gave me at that time for a base model with a manual transmission.

Market price: $30,070 (When I asked why it wasn't the price I had been reading about on line they said they do tinting, paint and interior protection on everything they sell. Figuring the window tinting would be advisable in Florida I just shrugged it off.)
Government fee: $646.50
Accessories: $848.00
Proc/Doc fee: $899.50
Total taxes: $1,997.84
Cash down: $3,000.00
Total amount financed less money down: $31.572.44

Then on another page it says:

Vehicle base model: $27,700
Total installed Packages and Accessories: $1,390 (I was told this included tinting and paint/interior protection)
Delivery Processing and Handling: $980.00
Total MSRP $30,070

Installed Packages & Accessories:
50-state emissions: $0.00
6-gallons of gas: $0.00
Phone cable & charge package: $73.00
TOYOGAURD Platinum: $699.00 (2 oil changes, roadside and rental car assistance, etc.)
Southeast Toyota Distribution Plus: $0.00
Paint protection Film: Hood and Door Package: $618.00 (includes coverage on hood, mirror backs, door cups, door edges, rear bumper)
Total optional equipment: $1,390.00

I didn't have a choice on these installed packages and accessories. I'll have to talk to them about this. At one point before I gave them the $1,000 they told me that it included window tinting. When I asked about that and the paint protection they said they do it on all new cars they sell. Now I notice the tinting isn't on this paperwork. They also told me they do the interior fabric protection, which doesn't bother me since it is probably just a can of the fabric spray.

Does that help? It helped me. I haven't looked at this paperwork since January. I never noticed that the tinting isn't on there, which they had originally told me was going to be included. I am sure dealing with these guys will be as delightful as any other time I have had to deal with an auto dealership.

If you have any thoughts on anything I should be questioning I would appreciate any advice you can give.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts