Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is good news….. I still have this lingering question about what exactly do the fuel filters filter out if not dirt? Ex., car’s filter catches dirt. Dirt is not allowed to get to pump or injectors. Worst case until filter changed is poor performance or the like. Isn’t that what the filter is supposed to do?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Another update:

Well, the hits just keep on coming! So the Tech took it for one last test drive this morning, then they were going to release the car back to me. As he was doing so, the check engine light came on and low and behold, the Catalytic Converter is toast. So now they have to source the part and he'll get back to me tomorrow.
Meanwhile, Circle K called me back to get all of my information and for me to forward them the bills, etc. We are now looking at well over $4000-$5000, as the Catalytic converter is $3300 alone.
I also have to worry about down the road, getting check engine faults again. This has officially turned into a nightmare.

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
71 Posts
Another update:

Well, the hits just keep on coming! So the Tech took it for one last test drive this morning, then they were going to release the car back to me. As he was doing so, the check engine light came on and low and behold, the Catalytic Converter is toast. So now they have to source the part and he'll get back to me tomorrow.
Meanwhile, Circle K called me back to get all of my information and for me to forward them the bills, etc. We are now looking at well over $4000-$5000, as the Catalytic converter is $3300 alone.
I also have to worry about down the road, getting check engine faults again. This has officially turned into a nightmare.
This post made me physically cringe. Get after that gas station

·
Registered
87 Posts
Another update:

Man I hate that for you. Just make sure they keep it till everything is squared away. At least they seem to be on the ball with your car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Another update:

This has to be the craziest thing I’ve heard of in my years of being a car enthusiast and being on a few forums for the past ten years. I’m not a technician. My knowledge is only based on my being 66 years old (with the mind of a twenty something) who has owned many cars from the Jurassic period to relative present day. I have encountered many an unfortunate technology problem with my own vehicles and a boatload of true life situations on several forums. This is the first time I’ve had interest in a Subaru/Toyota product. But I do not see where a Subaru should be anything MAJORLY different about than other modern gas/fuel systems. That explained, I still have a hard time understanding how a tank of bad gas would cause all this failure of components. I truly feel your pain on this, sincerely. But I would sure like to know WHAT was in that gas that would ruin injectors and a cat.
In other words, what other customers who bought gas there had issues? Call me suspicious , but, is it possible for a new car to get through assembly without a fuel filter? Ugh…..😫

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
299 Posts
3300?! The primary catalytic converter is built into the exhaust manifold. People throw them away daily when putting on their catless (bruh) headers. If the gas station is paying then whatever. If not I would be buying a catted aftermarket header. It costs less and performs better.

·
Registered
103 Posts
3300?! The primary catalytic converter is built into the exhaust manifold. People throw them away daily when putting on their catless (bruh) headers. If the gas station is paying then whatever. If not I would be buying a catted aftermarket header. It costs less and performs better.
So what you are saying is by doing a cat delete on my BRZ, selling said cat will provide all the suspension money I could possibly need? lol

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
71 Posts
This has to be the craziest thing I’ve heard of in my years of being a car enthusiast and being on a few forums for the past ten years. I’m not a technician. My knowledge is only based on my being 66 years old (with the mind of a twenty something) who has owned many cars from the Jurassic period to relative present day. I have encountered many an unfortunate technology problem with my own vehicles and a boatload of true life situations on several forums. This is the first time I’ve had interest in a Subaru/Toyota product. But I do not see where a Subaru should be anything MAJORLY different about than other modern gas/fuel systems. That explained, I still have a hard time understanding how a tank of bad gas would cause all this failure of components. I truly feel your pain on this, sincerely. But I would sure like to know WHAT was in that gas that would ruin injectors and a cat.
In other words, what other customers who bought gas there had issues? Call me suspicious , but, is it possible for a new car to get through assembly without a fuel filter? Ugh…..😫
This fuel was enhanced with the addition of fucking gravel

·
Registered
148 Posts
It is very easy to destroy a catalytic converter.

QUOTE:

Catalyst poisoning occurs when the converter is exposed to emissions containing substances that coat the working surfaces, enveloping the catalyst to the point it cannot contact - and treat - the exhaust. 

Potential causes for coated or fouled substrate may include:

• Excessive carbon buildup in exhaust
  • Internal coolant leaks (head/intake gasket)
  • Use of non-converter-safe gasket sealants
  • Excessive oil consumption (burning oil)
  • Improper fuels or additives (E85, diesel)

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
299 Posts
In this case it was either water in the fuel or injectors that were stuck open just dumping fuel down the exhaust.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts