Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah, it can make it seem like your engine has serious internal damage and is about to blow up. Obviously, it seems pretty bad in this case, but it can be even worse.

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
71 Posts
Even though it was nothing, I'm super glad you did the right thing and had it towed. Could have been much worse

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
299 Posts
Good thing thats all it was. Now hopefully subaru changes out all the filters and does a good fuel system cleaning. You will be good as new.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So happy to hear it isn’t anything wrong with your car. I have been following this post closely. Thanks for the updates along the way too!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Just curious about how dirty does gas have to be for the filter (filters?) not to trap contaminants? I always thought that “bad gas” would merely make for a rough startup and/ or poor performance and idle until the next fill up. Or could this case be a combination of dirty gas, very cold new car, and a more high tech port injection warmup system on this design?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Just curious about how dirty does gas have to be for the filter (filters?) not to trap contaminants? I always thought that “bad gas” would merely make for a rough startup and/ or poor performance and idle until the next fill up. Or could this case be a combination of dirty gas, very cold new car, and a more high tech port injection warmup system on this design?
The filters are there for solids, so they aren't going to stop the water. You'd need a fuel/water separator for that.

·
Registered
103 Posts
UPDATE:
Well guess what... It's bad fuel. Dealership finally drained the fuel and it's dirty. I've now called the gas station and sent them the picture. He is going to check with his supplier. View attachment 3701
This is good and bad news, anything Subaru does to your car is no longer considered warranty work now. So you are likely on the hook initially for any labour/parts. Then you have to go after the gas station owner to reimburse the costs, which sometimes gets dragggggggged out forever hoping you just walk away from being impatient about the process. I hope it doesn't go down that path, but just be prepared in case it does.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Agreed. This sounds like a real pain in the ass and lots of money out of pocket until the gas station hopefully ponys up.

I hope it goes easy for you.

Totally appreciate you sharing the experience with us.

·
Registered
203 Posts
This is good and bad news, anything Subaru does to your car is no longer considered warranty work now. So you are likely on the hook initially for any labour/parts. Then you have to go after the gas station owner to reimburse the costs, which sometimes gets dragggggggged out forever hoping you just walk away from being impatient about the process. I hope it doesn't go down that path, but just be prepared in case it does.
Yes, hopefully Subaru will show a little empathy here, as it's obviously a brand new vehicle, and the owner was being cautious about preventing any possible engine damage, which I applaud, as should Subaru. I also agree that you should be prepared -- if it comes to it --to be persistent, dogged even, about getting the gas station to cover any costs. I think it goes without saying that I would never use that gas station again, but I'll say it anyways. Anyways, Statman, you did the right thing, no question about it, so just make sure you are treated right too. Before you know it, it'll be spring, you'll be out ripping around the countryside in your nice, new BRZ, and this kerfluffle will be but a distant memory. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
54 Posts
UPDATE:
Well guess what... It's bad fuel. Dealership finally drained the fuel and it's dirty. I've now called the gas station and sent them the picture. He is going to check with his supplier. View attachment 3701
was this also a water contamination or just “dirt” or both? Any response from gas station ? I ask because there was a station close to me that is installing new tanks after a run of water contamination complaints. Funny thing is, they are supposed to test their gas regularly. i don’t use them, but word travels !

·
Registered
103 Posts
Update time:
So basically , they haven't figured it out yet. All of the codes they checked came back normal, whatever that means. They are kicking it up to the Engineers at Subaru Canada, who are located back east. They forwarded them all of the diagnostics.
Then I said, did you guys check for potentially bad gas? I said I gassed up the night before this happened. He said that's interesting. We'll look into that.
I went back to the gas station that I filled up at, and they don't sell diesel, so that potential mixup is not possible. I guarantee I put in what was labelled as 91 octane. Whether it was actually 91 is another story. Service manager said he was going to call the gas station and see if they have had any complaints.
So that's all I know for now. He's going to get back to me again tomorrow.
You can check with the gasstation

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #94 ·
Latest update: Tuesday January 11th, 2022
So I stopped in at the dealership this morning. I spoke with the Service manager and also with the Tech who has been working on my car.
They have drained the fuel, and discovered that it appears to be dirty. You can see little bits of grit and dirt in the gas. I posted the photo in my previous post. They have now refilled the tank with Premium and replaced the 2 port injectors that had become severely clogged from the poor fuel. They have run the car or nearly 3 hours, off and on. The tech says everything checks out normal now. He is going to take it for a test drive today, and the manager will let me know how that goes, but they are 99% confident that they have solved the issue.
The service manager is going to send off a sample of the bad fuel to a company that does analysis on poor fuel, oil etc.
He also thanked me for my patience and because of this, he's going to do everything he can to try and get Subaru to cover the costs. If not, I will be out of pocket somewhere in the neighourhood of $600-$1000, and then I will have to fight with the gas station.
I did speak with the gas station manager last friday, and he said he'd look into it. Of course, I have not heard back and I really don't expect to hear back. I will have to pursue it further. The service manager at the dealership did say that one of his techs had heard of a facebook forum that was discussing bad fuel in a nearby town. I tried to become of member of that forum to see what was being discussed, but it is a locked group discussion. I have asked to be added to the group, but have not heard back as of yet.

That's the latest. I also posted a new youtube video here,
where I discuss what I've told you guys here.

I'm sure I'll have another update in a day or 2.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
37 Posts
Latest update: Tuesday January 11th, 2022
So I stopped in at the dealership this morning. I spoke with the Service manager and also with the Tech who has been working on my car.
They have drained the fuel, and discovered that it appears to be dirty. You can see little bits of grit and dirt in the gas. I posted the photo in my previous post. They have now refilled the tank with Premium and replaced the 2 port injectors that had become severely clogged from the poor fuel. They have run the car or nearly 3 hours, off and on. The tech says everything checks out normal now. He is going to take it for a test drive today, and the manager will let me know how that goes, but they are 99% confident that they have solved the issue.
The service manager is going to send off a sample of the bad fuel to a company that does analysis on poor fuel, oil etc.
He also thanked me for my patience and because of this, he's going to do everything he can to try and get Subaru to cover the costs. If not, I will be out of pocket somewhere in the neighourhood of $600-$1000, and then I will have to fight with the gas station.
I did speak with the gas station manager last friday, and he said he'd look into it. Of course, I have not heard back and I really don't expect to hear back. I will have to pursue it further. The service manager at the dealership did say that one of his techs had heard of a facebook forum that was discussing bad fuel in a nearby town. I tried to become of member of that forum to see what was being discussed, but it is a locked group discussion. I have asked to be added to the group, but have not heard back as of yet.

That's the latest. I also posted a new youtube video here,
where I discuss what I've told you guys here.

I'm sure I'll have another update in a day or 2.

Cheers,
Scott
really hope you car is 100% ok and Subaru stepped up to cover that.

I have a bad feeling about the gas station, if a bunch of customers came back complaining and sending them repair bills. (cause you can't be the only person pumping gas that day.) Then it will be an issue of the failed equipment or mal practice. Not sure if this still true, the gas station owners own the shop, majority of the profit from the pumps go back to big corp. , In terms of bad gas issue, it will be the gas supplier / big corp. I just don't see you will be compensated for time and money if you go against the gas station. Good Luck again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Honestly if Subaru Canada won't cover the complete cost, I have a feeling the service manager will cover the costs thru the dealership. Based on what I have heard of them so far, they seem like one of the good ones, and usually they will help someone out in a case such as you have. I figure Subaru Canada will at least cover some of the cost, worst case maybe a 1/3 split between the dealership/Subaru Canada/and you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
Another update:

So, I just got a call from the Circle K regional manager. Turns out, they have had several other complaints of bad fuel, and one of the higher ups will be contacting me in the near future to get all of my information. It looks like they are taking full responsibility. Thank goodness.

Now if I can just get my damn car back and start enjoying it !! I really hope there are no issues in the future, and yes from now on I will only be putting in Shell 93 or Chevron 94.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Another update:

So, I just got a call from the Circle K regional manager. Turns out, they have had several other complaints of bad fuel, and one of the higher ups will be contacting me in the near future to get all of my information. It looks like they are taking full responsibility. Thank goodness.

Now if I can just get my damn car back and start enjoying it !! I really hope there are no issues in the future, and yes from now on I will only be putting in Shell 93 or Chevron 94.
That's good news, statman. Make sure you keep a log of all conversations with Circle K, from everyone. Hopefully they are already prepared to comp you for your troubles and cost, and it sounds like it's going that direction. Like I said before, once you get this behind you -- which will happen -- it will just fade into the past. And, yeah, in the future, I'd stick with the mainline gas stations like Shell or Chevron etc.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
299 Posts
Very glad to hear that the expenses will be covered. Nothing worse than having to pay for a problem you didnt cause. Im sure it will be fine, the dealership seems to be doing things right.

·
Registered
22 Trueno Blue
37 Posts
Another update:

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

81 - 100 of 115 Posts