Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Update time:
So basically , they haven't figured it out yet. All of the codes they checked came back normal, whatever that means. They are kicking it up to the Engineers at Subaru Canada, who are located back east. They forwarded them all of the diagnostics.
Then I said, did you guys check for potentially bad gas? I said I gassed up the night before this happened. He said that's interesting. We'll look into that.
I went back to the gas station that I filled up at, and they don't sell diesel, so that potential mixup is not possible. I guarantee I put in what was labelled as 91 octane. Whether it was actually 91 is another story. Service manager said he was going to call the gas station and see if they have had any complaints.
So that's all I know for now. He's going to get back to me again tomorrow.

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
299 Posts
Bad gas i think is the best scenario. Just because that station does not sell diesel does not mean its impossible. That tanker truck could have filled the tanker with the wrong fuel, or grabbed the wrong preloaded trailer. Nothing is impossible. I hope its something that simple. I would hate for you to have your brand new car getting the engine opened up or replaced. I dont care how good the techs are, things are just never the same after.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I imagine they would have done a hydrocarbon test, checked the fluids for unauthorized mating, and maybe scoped the cylinders for coolant to rule out a head gasket or similar issue.

Could be water in there. When I went to school in Detroit, some of the stations got busted for putting water in the fuel tanks over night because . . . Detroit? (Literally sticking a garden hose into the underground tanks.) Got some myself. Luckily, water is heavier than gasoline, so it didn't cause an issue much until the end of the tank. One morning, it took a while to get the '84 GL started and I had to limp it a couple blocks on one or two cylinders to a quality gas station. Left it running with some weight on the throttle so it wouldn't stall while I filled it up and it cleared and ran fine shortly after I drove away from the station. That was 25 something years ago, so I don't remember if it smoked, but I also don't think it was igniting enough to turn a noticeable amount of water to steam.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Update time:
So basically , they haven't figured it out yet. All of the codes they checked came back normal, whatever that means. They are kicking it up to the Engineers at Subaru Canada, who are located back east. They forwarded them all of the diagnostics.
Then I said, did you guys check for potentially bad gas? I said I gassed up the night before this happened. He said that's interesting. We'll look into that.
I went back to the gas station that I filled up at, and they don't sell diesel, so that potential mixup is not possible. I guarantee I put in what was labelled as 91 octane. Whether it was actually 91 is another story. Service manager said he was going to call the gas station and see if they have had any complaints.
Just wondering how “codes come back normal” when it’s running harsh. I’m not a tech, so I don’t know how codes read under rough engine runs. In other words, if it is indeed bad gas, or water contamination, would there be no error codes? Not directing questions at you….. just asking out loud if anyone else might know.
Hope they sort it out for you soon!

·
Registered
Ordered 2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
299 Posts
Just wondering how “codes come back normal” when it’s running harsh. I’m not a tech, so I don’t know how codes read under rough engine runs. In other words, if it is indeed bad gas, or water contamination, would there be no error codes? Not directing questions at you….. just asking out loud if anyone else might know.
Hope they sort it out for you soon!
Because the OP did the right thing and did not run the car very long, Im guessing no codes were populated. Even if run longer it will likely throw some generic code like "cylinder X misfire" At the risk of further damage I would not wait for the computer to attempt to figure it out.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ
9 Posts
Update time:
Would you not think the fuel tank should be emptied and refilled plus check out the fuel inside the tank for contamination??

·
Registered
84 Posts
I imagine the dealer is being careful as the techs probably haven't worked on a NA FA24 D4S yet, so probably escalating. Agree that they should drain/refill fluids and see how it runs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Update:
So as I alluded to in my previous post, the dealership put it in the hands of Subaru Canada. They now are going to replace the 2 Port Injectors, but the parts have to be flown in from back east, so they said they should arrive tomorrow.
In the mean time, the service department is going to pull out the back seat and access the fuel tank and have a look at the fuel pump to see if they can see anything. I said, what about draining the fuel and cleaning the tank and refilling. He said that's what one of his techs is saying they should do, but now that it's basically in the hands of th engineers, they need to follow what the they are saying. He said the Subaru Field Manager is coming to the dealership tomorrow.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm glad they are treating it as a high priority and getting "all hands on deck" about it
I hate to admit it, but I would have a pit in my stomach waiting for outcomes. I’m not a patient type. Dont know if I could survive another new car experience. Been spoiled way too long maybe.
But, man, I do like the new styling and statistics on these newbs.

·
Super Moderator
694 Posts
I hate to admit it, but I would have a pit in my stomach waiting for outcomes. I’m not a patient type. Dont know if I could survive another new car experience. Been spoiled way too long maybe.
But, man, I do like the new styling and statistics on these newbs.
It's always good to remember that these forums are a good outlet and source of info for talking about issues just as much as the awesomeness of our twins.

The benifits of these cars being brand halos is generally issues get jumped on early, but even still, any time without the car can be a killer, particularly youtubers etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It's always good to remember that these forums are a good outlet and source of info for talking about issues just as much as the awesomeness of our twins.

The benifits of these cars being brand halos is generally issues get jumped on early, but even still, any time without the car can be a killer, particularly youtubers etc.
I agree…. I can well remember the decades of no internet, no forums. I‘m an old guy from the dark ages when all we had to go on was magazines and a dealers word on the issues of a new car. We were a little calmer back then, but super uninformed ! Info travelled at very slow speed, if at all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm probably not that bright, but I thought that the port injectors only kicked in under high loads, weird that they think the port injectors are responsible. In a D4S system, I was under the impression that the Direct Injection set of injectors kicked in at idle/low loads and then the port injectors took over when needed with the added benefit of washing away the crud from the direct injectors. Let's hope they're right and swapping the port injectors fixes it.

·
Super Moderator
694 Posts
I'm probably not that bright, but I thought that the port injectors only kicked in under high loads, weird that they think the port injectors are responsible. In a D4S system, I was under the impression that the Direct Injection set of injectors kicked in at idle/low loads and then the port injectors took over when needed with the added benefit of washing away the crud from the direct injectors. Let's hope they're right and swapping the port injectors fixes it.
The FA20 and FA24 factory engine tunes have changed how they utilise port injection.

With the old engine, port injection was not used for high rpm loads. To enable better mixing of fuel and air when in the top end they now utilise port injection as it 'pre-mixes' with the air to ensure better detonation at high rpm.

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
71 Posts
The FA20 and FA24 factory engine tunes have changed how they utilise port injection.

With the old engine, port injection was not used for high rpm loads. To enable better mixing of fuel and air when in the top end they now utilise port injection as it 'pre-mixes' with the air to ensure better detonation at high rpm.
Imagine how cool it would be to have injector utilization stats on our gauge clusters in real time. Being able to see the chageover from direct to port would be very satisfying.

I know there's no shot in hell, but I wish Subaru/Toyota would release a devkit to allow us to develop our own gauge cluster widgets.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts