Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. So it's been really cold and snowy here in vancouver. I went to start my BRZ this morning, and it was sputtering like crazy and billowing White smoke. I took a video hopefully the link will work here. In the video you'll see it spewing white smoke and also sputtering and the engine revving. There's nobody in the car revving the engine. It's doing that all on its own. I'm going to call Subaru Canada here in a minute but I'd love some feedback from any of you guys on this. Is this something to really worry about, or is this just because it's cold? We've had about five or six days straight of minus temperatures (-5 to -10 Celcius).

Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Looks perfectly normal. That "smoke" is most likely steam, not smoke.

·
Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
506 Posts
Check coolant level. What does the exhaust smell like? This car should not be turned on again. If it's a coolant leak, it could hydrolock the engine. Take advantage of that warranty.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ Sport-tech WRB
84 Posts
I am in Winnipeg and my car do not have the same problem as you. From the sound of the video, it sounds like the engine RPM is running up and down as well. Get it towed to the dealership and let them check what is going on.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
The sputter/clatterish noise does not sound normal.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I would say the amount of smoke is fairly high—not enough to say it's the definite sign of a problem in that cold, but not so little as to dismiss it. What concerns me is the smoke along with how its running. Could you have gotten any snow in the intake or could you have gotten some really bad gas? That sounds like maybe there's water getting into the combustion chamber. When the head on my ST cracked and it burned coolant like a 007 smoke screen, it still idled better than that. Most it did was have a stumbling misfire at startup once that cleared right away.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I just joined forum, as a potential new BRZ (or 86) buyer. So, first post. Not. Sure what to make of the video other than to say it sounds more rough than anything I would want to second guess. Cold can be problematic but this sounds very “thrashy” / harsh. Being new, turn off and tow for sure!

·
Registered
'22 GR86 Premium MT
270 Posts
It really had been cold there last few days (I'm in 604 as well)
That's a real shitty thing to go thru on a brand new car.
It definitely isn't normal, that sounds like knocking, or a very bad exhaust leak, and the car doesn't know what to do in terms of how to idle.

Hope you get it sorted out without much issue.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm getting it towed to the dealer, but have to wait until Monday. Pretty upset about all this.
Make sure you go directly to your salesman and tell him this. Because it's only been 400km I would be asking them to provide you with another new one. Make it their problem to fix it and then resell it.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts