Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings! I am excited to learn from all of you and look forward to this car hitting the showroom. I remember when these cars first came out and I am glad to see they have only improved with time. Older models were definitely well represented at a recent track day I attended. I also recently test drove a 2020 model that was on a dealer lot and was pleased, but I plan to wait for the new GR86.

My first question to the group is whether you think the increase in HP and torque will be enough to correct earlier model deficiencies? I know we can never get enough in these categories, but from a fun, enthusiast, and stock perspective, do you think 2022 improvements will make this car a great all around sports car for years to come?

Thanks for letting me join the group!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Welcome @Ginger!

It sure is enough of an increase in power and torque. And not only do we get more of it from a naturally aspirated setup but maximum torque is made much sooner. These gains are enough to make sure the new 86/BRZ ages well over the coming years.

" Where the old Toyota 86 features a 2.0-liter with a maximum output of 205 horsepower and 156 pound-feet of torque, the 2022 GR86 features a larger, 2.4-liter flat-four with 228 horsepower and 184 pound-feet – an improvement of 23 ponies and 28 pound-feet. More impressive is that maximum torque peaks at just 3,700 rpm vs. the 6,600 rpm peak of the outgoing model. As you’d expect, the GR86 is still every bit a driver’s car, so the six-speed manual gearbox is standard equipment, while you can opt for a six-speed automatic if you want. Either way, power is sent exclusively to the rear wheels through a limited-slip differential.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Greetings! I am excited to learn from all of you and look forward to this car hitting the showroom. I remember when these cars first came out and I am glad to see they have only improved with time. Older models were definitely well represented at a recent track day I attended. I also recently test drove a 2020 model that was on a dealer lot and was pleased, but I plan to wait for the new GR86.

My first question to the group is whether you think the increase in HP and torque will be enough to correct earlier model deficiencies? I know we can never get enough in these categories, but from a fun, enthusiast, and stock perspective, do you think 2022 improvements will make this car a great all around sports car for years to come?

Thanks for letting me join the group!
Welcome to the forum @Ginger! Engineering Explained made a great video of the GR86's new engine and why it should provide a better driving experience than the first gen cars. The new engine has much more low end torque than the old one which is much needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Ginger,

Same from Seattle. Owner of 2017 86. To me, the only deficiency the car has was the overall engine performance. I was like you, wondering about it whether to pull the trigger on the new one. I am glad that I understand some Japanese. Based on the material I got from the Japanese website, many improvements were made to the new car so I ordered my BRZ with standard trans in August.
Based on the review from the Japanese press, this update is far from a solely larger engine. There are also many enhancements to the structure of the car, which resulted in a 50% increase in torsional rigidity. One Japanese reviewer mentioned that the new car is handled better, rides better, is more refined, has better NVH, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts