Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8 years ago I considered a BRZ/Scion FRS. Liked the look of the BRZ better. However due to living at 7000 feet above see level and cost considerations at the time I traded in my Mini Cooper S for a Fiat 500 Abarth. Yes its FWD but I love the styling, liked the engine sound and very tunable being a turbo motor. But Fiats have not done very well here. While I like the 124 Abarth I keep thinking how long will it take for Fiat to pull out of the US. So the idea of looking again at a BRZ/86 again appeals to me. I've always like a coupe. I'm not a 4dr guy except for the family SUV. Since Honda is discontinuing the SI Coupe and I'm not in love with the shape of the Veloster here I am. Further on the new car I firmly believe they are going with a N/A 2.4 from the Accent. I'm predicting good reliability. Yes I know there have been some issue's with the rocker arms on the 2.0 in the current car. However Subaru has had now 8 years with this engine and many years with the flat four. I'm going on faith that they have improved it and the N/A 2.4 will be improved over the the N/A 2.0. Paul

·
Registered
109 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul!

Did you modify the Abarth at all? Fun little car, although I could never get over the seating position.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done an intake and a Diverter valve upgrade. Was considering lowering it but may hold off if I intend to sell it or trade it in. I'm waiting to see what the final looks and specs are on the new 86/BRZ.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've done an intake and a Diverter valve upgrade. Was considering lowering it but may hold off if I intend to sell it or trade it in. I'm waiting to see what the final looks and specs are on the new 86/BRZ.
Lowering is always a big issue. You start and then you need to do more. And then you need to adjust the toe/camber etc. Then your tires wear too fast and you need to swap those all the time. haha
All for fun though

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey @pngrant54, glad to have you on the forum!
Is the 86/BRZ the only FR coupe you're considering or are there others? (ex. Miata, Mustang, etc.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome!

Both the 500 Abarth and Cooper are fun cars. That said, an 86 is going to be a different experience, with rear-wheel-drive dynamics. Should be a nice change and fun in a new way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My Cooper S was a 2006. Nice car but hard ride and uncomfortable seats. The reason I traded it in for an Abarth in 2013 was that it had terrible rattles all over the place. The Abarth felt a little quicker, loved the engine noise, seats were more comfortable. Traded the Abarth in for a 2016 500X. BIG MISTAKE as the 500X was traded in for Mazda CX5 last year. In 2017 bought a light Blue Abarth again.I still like it but wondering if the 2022 will have enough power to handle 7000 ft. where I live. Turbos in general don't lose as much power at higher altitudes. If indeed the new BRZ is a 2.4 but with roughly 220 HP that should be sufficient to handle the 7000 ft. As much as I like the Abarth Fiat is no longer selling it here. I could look at a 124 but the question is how long will that be sold here. I'm not a Miata fan. I don't like the styling and its too softly sprung. I think buying a car new out of the box you should not have to spend a ton of money finishing it to what you think it should have been in the first place. I'm Ok with an intake and better tires and maybe an ECU upgrade. Other than that I like to keep things as stock as possible for maximum reliability and longevity. The appeal of the BRZ is classic coupe looks, more interior and cargo space, rwd. The current car has this but the engine is all wrong for high alttitude. Again I'm hoping the 2.4 will solve that issue. Like the Veloster N but then its another hatchback when I really want an affordable classic coupe(Dying breed in the lower price ranges).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts