Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! I am looking to purchase a new BRZ/GR86 in the near future, to replace my 4th gen Legacy GT that I purchased new in 2006. I love that car but am ready for a new project and looking forward to taking a different path - the Legacy has a built motor, 5MT with DCCD and Torsen F&R diffs, coilovers/sways/bracing, etc., and while it’s a blast to drive I'd want to change up a few things if I were to keep it, and due to the complexity/cost to do so at this point it probably makes more sense to start fresh with a modern platform. My family hauler is an Accord 2.0T Sport (10AT) so the twin would be my nice-weather daily and weekend car.

I’ve been in touch with a few dealers and feeling out for the right car at the right price. I’m looking for a premium/limited MT and still undecided on color.

Anyways, happy to be here. I've been a member on LegacyGT and NASIOC forums for about 16 years, and hope to be here for a long time as well.

Car Land vehicle Wheel Tire Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle

Vehicle Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

· Registered
3,324 Posts
Well-sorted machine! Looks great.

Not feeling the Subaru Love anymore, so no BRZ Limited 6MT?

Reactions: Underdog

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well-sorted machine! Looks great.

Not feeling the Subaru Love anymore, so no BRZ Limited 6MT?
Thanks! I still love the car and have been agonizing over the decision to continue to invest in it versus getting into something new. Trying to be more pragmatic than sentimental in the decision, but its tough - I put a lot of love into that car over the years.

I'd be happy to get into a BRZ but I just prefer the front end of the GR86 more, and I've read the GR's steel front knuckles are easier to bolt Brembos up to. Beyond that I guess I still need to dig into the finer differences between the twins.

· Registered
3,324 Posts
There's a lot to be said for going with the car that looks better to you! The decision point for me was the suspension tuning on the BRZ and the fact that the sway bars are hollow vs. solid on the GR and mounted to the body instead of the subframe as on the GR. It's more stable at speed and less prone to oversteer, which to me equals confident handling for spirited street driving. Maybe it's anecdotal and maybe it's the larger numbers of GRs on the road, but there are a lot of posts on here about GR drivers losing control and severely curbing their cars. The other consideration is that reviewers testing both cars commented that the BRZ suspension is more compliant on the street for a more comfortable ride.

· Registered
432 Posts
There's a lot to be said for going with the car that looks better to you! The decision point for me was the suspension tuning on the BRZ and the fact that the sway bars are hollow vs. solid on the GR and mounted to the body instead of the subframe as on the GR. It's more stable at speed and less prone to oversteer, which to me equals confident handling for spirited street driving. Maybe it's anecdotal and maybe it's the larger numbers of GRs on the road, but there are a lot of posts on here about GR drivers losing control and severely curbing their cars. The other consideration is that reviewers testing both cars commented that the BRZ suspension is more compliant on the street for a more comfortable ride.
one thing i wonder about the ride quality is if they tested base to premium or premium to limited. for me owning both but not driving either very spirited the gr base seems to be a bit smoother than the brz limited. BUT there was 7 months inbetween when i drove the GR last so it could be due to driving a crossover this whole time #usererror

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@Ritter I appreciate that feedback. It speaks to the direction I tried to go with my Legacy -neutral, stable, confident handling - and I’d certainly prioritize that over something like a front fascia, especially considering the bumper can be swapped while the hard mounting points for the suspension likely cannot. I also like the idea of ordering through Subaru versus playing games with all these Toyota dealers trying to pass off thousands of dollars in markups.
@EmperorJJ1 I’ll definitely keep an eye out for your swap! I know from experience that Subaru designs tend to look better in person than the front 3/4 pictures you see online, and I’m sure there will be lots of dress-up stuff for these cars in the coming years.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The more I've learned about the suspension differences the sweeter I become on the BRZ. I've also looked at more owner pics and am definitely warming up to it.

Local dealers are telling me orders may open back up in a few months, which should give me time to sell the Legacy. I might revert the brakes to stock so I can keep the Brembos for the BRZ. I believe I can use the wheels too? 18x7.5 e48 5x100 - they're nothing fancy (Rota Group.A - reps of the Prodrive GC010e) but I've had them for 16 years and they still look great. Tires would need to be replaced anyways as they are 11 year old Hankook Ventus V12 summers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts