Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

New to the twins and the new platform, but looking forward to the launch. I'm hoping this car will be fun, offer some practicality, and a feeling of safety. This would be a 2nd car that I'd use to daily drive in the warmer months, and drive my CX-9 in the snow months.

Current 2nd car is a 2005 Mazdaspeed Miata which I love. The issue is I can't take my small kids with me, my wife won't come in it because she doesn't feel safe, and while it's a great toy, I can't fit anything in it. I should also say that I was hit by 2 18-wheelers in a previous car 2013 Civic SI, and sometimes I still get a little nervous driving such a small car w/o modern safety tech.

Some other fun cars I've owned over the years. All were my only car at the time, exceptions are the Miatas.

91 Stealth RT
03 GTI 1.8T modified
09 Cobalt SS Turbo Stage 1
13 Civic SI
97 NA Miata
05 MSM Miata - Lightly Modified

It's nice to meet everyone and thanks for having me!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Welcome @Jdub03!

That's a great list of fun cars. I'm sure after all that experience there are certain things you look out for in a future sporty car. Are you considering any other sporty cars aside from the new GR 86/BRZ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome @Jdub03!

That's a great list of fun cars. I'm sure after all that experience there are certain things you look out for in a future sporty car. Are you considering any other sporty cars aside from the new GR 86/BRZ?
I've researched quite a few. Pretty much looking at cars.com app, and browsing A-Z manufacturers. From 1 series BMW, VW Golf R's, and everything in between. I think I want a light weight manual RWD sports car, preferably NA. The NC/ND Miata were always high on my list, but I want something with back seats and more trunk/storage space. There aren't many cars in that category at a reasonable price point. I recently started really diving deep into researching the first gen BRZ/FRS/86 cars, and that's what led me here to the new GR86. I love what I've read about the Gen 1 car, so much so that I may strongly consider picking one up, and saving money for mods and house projects instead of splurging on the GR86. However, I'm absolutely in love with the look of the new car, and prefer more midrange torque, and new 2.4L appears to have that but still revs to 7k+. Looks like it will be a blast to drive on the streets. At the end of the day, knowing myself I'll probably compromise, but for now I'd like to dream a little bit.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I've researched quite a few. Pretty much looking at cars.com app, and browsing A-Z manufacturers. From 1 series BMW, VW Golf R's, and everything in between. I think I want a light weight manual RWD sports car, preferably NA. The NC/ND Miata were always high on my list, but I want something with back seats and more trunk/storage space. There aren't many cars in that category at a reasonable price point. I recently started really diving deep into researching the first gen BRZ/FRS/86 cars, and that's what led me here to the new GR86. I love what I've read about the Gen 1 car, so much so that I may strongly consider picking one up, and saving money for mods and house projects instead of splurging on the GR86. However, I'm absolutely in love with the look of the new car, and prefer more midrange torque, and new 2.4L appears to have that but still revs to 7k+. Looks like it will be a blast to drive on the streets. At the end of the day, knowing myself I'll probably compromise, but for now I'd like to dream a little bit.
Have you spent any time behind the wheel of the current 86/FR-S/BRZ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you spent any time behind the wheel of the current 86/FR-S/BRZ?
Not yet. The closest one in my area is 30-40 miles away. My guess is there will be quite a few more once the new one launches. I'm not in a hurry, so I'll check locally periodically.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Jdub03! Do you have any preference between the GR86 or BRZ? Are you planning on keeping it stock or adding some mods like your GTI, Cobalt and Miata?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum @Jdub03! Do you have any preference between the GR86 or BRZ? Are you planning on keeping it stock or adding some mods like your GTI, Cobalt and Miata?
Thank you!
I prefer the GR86 body stylings on the new one, BRZ styling on the first gen. Regarding modifications, I tend to modify every car I buy, lol. But honestly, I'm not sure how much I would change the new one. I would need to drive it. I generally like it to look and sound as OEM as possible. It sounds like it will be around 14.5lbs per hp at the wheels, with a strong/broad torque curve. That may feel great in stock form. I've had a goal of being around 13lbs per hp, on a light weight NA rwd platform. My current MSM is probably around 14lbs and it feels great. I'm not a big fan of loud, so any header/exhaust changes made would consider this. I don't have access to E85, so that's out. I won't be racing, so not sure I'll need any suspension/brake modifications. Maybe, this would be the first I keep stock!!!

How about yourself?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Not yet. The closest one in my area is 30-40 miles away. My guess is there will be quite a few more once the new one launches. I'm not in a hurry, so I'll check locally periodically.
Have you at least seen enough good reviews on them?
This one sold me on them!

Thank you!
I prefer the GR86 body stylings on the new one, BRZ styling on the first gen. Regarding modifications, I tend to modify every car I buy, lol. But honestly, I'm not sure how much I would change the new one. I would need to drive it. I generally like it to look and sound as OEM as possible. It sounds like it will be around 14.5lbs per hp at the wheels, with a strong/broad torque curve. That may feel great in stock form. I've had a goal of being around 13lbs per hp, on a light weight NA rwd platform. My current MSM is probably around 14lbs and it feels great. I'm not a big fan of loud, so any header/exhaust changes made would consider this. I don't have access to E85, so that's out. I won't be racing, so not sure I'll need any suspension/brake modifications. Maybe, this would be the first I keep stock!!!

How about yourself?
It would be great to get your take on styling here as well: Visual Comparison: New Toyota 86 Compared To The Old One I personally prefer the styling of both next-gen version over the outgoing ones.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Have you at least seen enough good reviews on them?
This one sold me on them!

It would be great to get your take on styling here as well: Visual Comparison: New Toyota 86 Compared To The Old One I personally prefer the styling of both next-gen version over the outgoing ones.
Thanks for sharing! That was fun to watch. I've been scouring YouTube and the message boards learning as much as I can about these cars.

From a styling standpoint:
86: Exterior, I prefer the new model from all angles. Love the vented fenders and skirts. The bumper better matcha the car compared to the BRZ in my opinion. Interior, I don't care for the large circle air vents near the doors on the new one. Seems out of place. I think I'll need to sit in both.

BRZ: Exterior, same as above, however, it's closer. Something about the bumper cover throws me off.

I can't wait to see both in person. Pictures seldom do cars like these justice. I may end up liking the more curvy BRZ front more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts