Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Dunkirk, MD, and I am looking forward to checking out a 2022 GR86. I am looking for a new autocross car, and maybe will try some track time in the car. Looks like the GR86 will be a good tool for that.

I am 54 years old, I have been autocrossing for the last 20, and I have about 100 track days spread out over about the last 15 years, but mostly in the last 10. I currently own a 2017 GTI, which I have been autocrossing, but have not tracked.

I started autocrossing and doing track days in a 1986 944, which I purchased in 1997. In 2004 I picked up a 1999 Boxster, and I wish I still had that car. That was great for autocross! But in 2013 I sold the Boxster and bought a 996. That was my autocross and track day car for seven years. In July 2020, the motor in the 996 failed at Road America. No, it was not an IMS bearing! It was a failed #1 rod bearing. That may be the end of my track days; we'll see. That's an expensive and time-consuming hobby, especially in a Porsche.

I am having fun autrocrossing the GTI, but I want something better. I can probably spend up to $50K, so I could go for a used Boxster or Cayman, I just don't know if I want to go down that road. The new Nissan Z looks interesting. If I go with the GR86, that will leave me a cushion for a spare set of wheels (or two), maybe some suspension mods. Maybe some upgrades to make it more track worthy???

Of course, both the GR86 and the Z will require me to have some patience until they become available. That's not easy for me!

·
Super Moderator
467 Posts
I live in Dunkirk, MD, and I am looking forward to checking out a 2022 GR86. I am looking for a new autocross car, and maybe will try some track time in the car. Looks like the GR86 will be a good tool for that.

I am 54 years old, I have been autocrossing for the last 20, and I have about 100 track days spread out over about the last 15 years, but mostly in the last 10. I currently own a 2017 GTI, which I have been autocrossing, but have not tracked.

I started autocrossing and doing track days in a 1986 944, which I purchased in 1997. In 2004 I picked up a 1999 Boxster, and I wish I still had that car. That was great for autocross! But in 2013 I sold the Boxster and bought a 996. That was my autocross and track day car for seven years. In July 2020, the motor in the 996 failed at Road America. No, it was not an IMS bearing! It was a failed #1 rod bearing. That may be the end of my track days; we'll see. That's an expensive and time-consuming hobby, especially in a Porsche.

I am having fun autrocrossing the GTI, but I want something better. I can probably spend up to $50K, so I could go for a used Boxster or Cayman, I just don't know if I want to go down that road. The new Nissan Z looks interesting. If I go with the GR86, that will leave me a cushion for a spare set of wheels (or two), maybe some suspension mods. Maybe some upgrades to make it more track worthy???

Of course, both the GR86 and the Z will require me to have some patience until they become available. That's not easy for me!
Its a great choice!

Plus free membership for a year with special GR track days too - I mean the support and design of these cars as a track day vehicle is fantastic - particularly this new one.

I can see a lot of Porsche lovers getting one now that it has enough push to be a thrill.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Assuming I get the car, it will be interesting to see how far I need to go to get it track ready. Of course, one could spend thousands on all sorts of stuff. I wonder how it will be with just better brake pads and a set of wheels with R-comp tires. One thing that was nice about the 996 is how well the brakes would do for 25-minute track sessions with just a set of PFC-09 pads with stock calipers and rotors. I am not particularly interested in modifying the engine. Just want to make sure I won't get into trouble due to a brake failure. Will stock calipers and rotors with better pads do the job???

·
Super Moderator
467 Posts
Assuming I get the car, it will be interesting to see how far I need to go to get it track ready. Of course, one could spend thousands on all sorts of stuff. I wonder how it will be with just better brake pads and a set of wheels with R-comp tires. One thing that was nice about the 996 is how well the brakes would do for 25-minute track sessions with just a set of PFC-09 pads with stock calipers and rotors. I am not particularly interested in modifying the engine. Just want to make sure I won't get into trouble due to a brake failure. Will stock calipers and rotors with better pads do the job???
Well pads are what gives you long life, not the break size. So yes! Brake pads and perhaps upgrade the brake lines with top shelf fluids (but if your tracking a bunch, top fluids are a given). Brake failures are usually due to brake line leakage.

Bigger rotors will give you better performance for lap times, but wont actually make your track day better or worse, just faster around the track of course.

Yeah I don't plan to make hardware power mods to it either, though I may get an E85 flex kit and a tune for track days. Even easier than a set of track tires to switch on and off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts