Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all! I've been having a great time reading through all your threads on here in anticipation of the GR 86.

A little background - I currently drive a 2015 Volkswagen GTI DSG, and before that I drove a 2013 Nissan 370Z manual. I have been missing the RWD coupe + manual sports car experience ever since I sold the Z, and as soon as I saw the GR 86 and learned of the performance improvements over the previous generation, I was very impressed.

I called up the Toyota dealership and put down my deposit a few weeks ago....

My GTI.

Cheers everyone

·
Registered
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum @mdntzero!

How much was the deposit and did they share any details about the GR86 with you?
Thanks for the welcome apex, my deposit was $500, however since the official order system for the car isn't even open, they just made a temporary deal number. And as far as details.... they know just as much as we do about the GR 86 hahaha (I'd say we might even know more)

I'm still waiting for an official date!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Thanks for the welcome apex, my deposit was $500, however since the official order system for the car isn't even open, they just made a temporary deal number. And as far as details.... they know just as much as we do about the GR 86 hahaha (I'd say we might even know more)

I'm still waiting for an official date!
Good to know.
Are you able to find out what initial allocation numbers are like for them?

It's amazing how much info is shared here!

·
Registered
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good to know.
Are you able to find out what initial allocation numbers are like for them?

It's amazing how much info is shared here!
Now that you mention it, that would be interesting to find out. I think I might ask that next time I speak to someone at Toyota!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey all! I've been having a great time reading through all your threads on here in anticipation of the GR 86.
Leading up to the reveal of the GR 86 I spent a lot of time thinking about what my next car would be. Now I know!

A little background - I currently drive a 2015 Volkswagen GTI DSG, and before that I drove a 2013 Nissan 370Z manual. I have been missing the RWD coupe + manual sports car experience ever since I sold the Z, and as soon as I saw the GR 86 and learned of the performance improvements over the previous generation, I was sold.

I called up the Toyota dealership and put down my deposit a few weeks ago.... I'll be having mine in white!

View attachment 1559

My GTI.

Cheers everyone
Welcome to the forum @mdntzero! Are you planning on keeping the GTI along with the GR86?

·
Registered
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum @mdntzero! Are you planning on keeping the GTI along with the GR86?
Hey thanks Ozzy, as much as I would like to be able to keep it, I’m going to be trading it in for the 86. Going to be fun come winter time 😄

·
Registered
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice GTI! What’s the factory color? Any mods? My buddy has a R which I love driving.
Thanks! The color is called Carbon Steel Metallic. It's on Solowerks coilovers, and has a Borla S-type catback, Injen CAI (pointless for power, just makes the turbo loud lol) and a generic strut tower bar. Wheels are from a MK6 GTI.
And yeah, had I done it again I would have bought a manual R instead haha

·
Registered
332 Posts
Hey thanks Ozzy, as much as I would like to be able to keep it, I’m going to be trading it in for the 86. Going to be fun come winter time 😄
It will certainly be a different driving experience in the snow compared to the GTI. Have you seen the video of Subaru taking the BRZ out for winter driving?

·
Registered
2018 Volkswagen Golf R
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It will certainly be a different driving experience in the snow compared to the GTI. Have you seen the video of Subaru taking the BRZ out for winter driving?

I have seen that, it looks like a ton of fun! I daily drove my Z all through one winter, I really enjoyed the ability to go sideways during my commute.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have seen that, it looks like a ton of fun! I daily drove my Z all through one winter, I really enjoyed the ability to go sideways during my commute.
Get some Michelin Cross Climates for the winter days; you won’t regret it. And just in case anyone starts to get suspicious: no I don’t work for Michelin nor do I own any stock. I just think they build some good tires for this car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts