Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I recently moved to Austin from Monterrey, Mexico. I drove my 2017 Miata all the way here. I love my Miata a lot, but driving a Mexican registered car is a mess. I can only drive it here for a year before having to drive back and the import process is a lot. Plus, Mexico has not been nice to my Miata. Crashes, contamination harming the paint, streets in bad shape...

So I believe I'll sell the Miata and was looking to buy a new small sports car here in Texas. I had been thinking about a Club Miata, WRX, BRZ...

But then I saw the news. At first I was liking the new BRZ, but the GR86 definitely caught my eye.

Current plan is later this year, ship the Miata back to Mexico, sell it, and get a GR86 once it comes out. Hopefully everything will come out as planned!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hello all,

I recently moved to Austin from Monterrey, Mexico. I drove my 2017 Miata all the way here. I love my Miata a lot, but driving a Mexican registered car is a mess. I can only drive it here for a year before having to drive back and the import process is a lot. Plus, Mexico has not been nice to my Miata. Crashes, contamination harming the paint, streets in bad shape...

So I believe I'll sell the Miata and was looking to buy a new small sports car here in Texas. I had been thinking about a Club Miata, WRX, BRZ...

But then I saw the news. At first I was liking the new BRZ, but the GR86 definitely caught my eye.

Current plan is later this year, ship the Miata back to Mexico, sell it, and get a GR86 once it comes out. Hopefully everything will come out as planned!
Hey @Fideon welcome to the forum! What about the GR86 stands out to you over the BRZ? Too bad to hear about the Miata, have you had it since new?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey @Fideon welcome to the forum! What about the GR86 stands out to you over the BRZ? Too bad to hear about the Miata, have you had it since new?
The front definitely looks meaner IMO to the BRZ. Plus, have you seen that video of the two Japanese reporter testing them out?:
From what I understand, they felt the GR86 to be more "wild", than the BRZ which went for a more stability feel. I like that.

Yeah, I had it since new. Bought it for like 15k. I wish I could import it and sell it here since they go for way more here in the US lol but oh well...

·
Registered
305 Posts
The front definitely looks meaner IMO to the BRZ. Plus, have you seen that video of the two Japanese reporter testing them out?:
From what I understand, they felt the GR86 to be more "wild", than the BRZ which went for a more stability feel. I like that.

Yeah, I had it since new. Bought it for like 15k. I wish I could import it and sell it here since they go for way more here in the US lol but oh well...
Yeah that was a great video to tie us over until toyota finally revealed the GR86 haha. I've never had to import a car before like that. What steps are involved of doing that from mexico?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah that was a great video to tie us over until toyota finally revealed the GR86 haha. I've never had to import a car before like that. What steps are involved of doing that from mexico?
The car has to meet DOT requirements (which I believe does, as it has the sticker and all Miatas are manufactured at the Hiroshima plant anyways). I would have to declare it at the border and fill a form declaring the import. Also pay 2.5% of the total value of the car. Then bring it to get tested for emissions. Once I get all the paperwork, I can get it registered.

Truly, the better option is to sell it and buy a new car here.

·
Registered
16 Posts

All The Datsun fanboys going to say we stole their grill tbh not a fan of it but I like it more than the BRZs smile looking like its posing for picture day IMO. Which face hall like more? And who's going to get them wolverine scratches on their headlamp?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts