Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
I prefer positive displacement superchargers over centrifugal type or turbo chargers personally. This looks like a great option already. We already know what fits. Now its just a matter of making a general public kit. Shouldnt be long.
I wonder how much of that will carry over to the FA24D. I imagine the different internals and compression ratios would make for a considerably different design.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im sure most of the blower itself will directly carry over. The difference being that our version of the FA24 has much higher compression. That should translate to our cars running a larger diameter pulley on the supercharger resulting in less PSI of boost. I have heard that the NA version of the FA24 uses the same rods as the turbo car which would be great but have not confirmed.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Im sure most of the blower itself will directly carry over. The difference being that our version of the FA24 has much higher compression. That should translate to our cars running a larger diameter pulley on the supercharger resulting in less PSI of boost. I have heard that the NA version of the FA24 uses the same rods as the turbo car which would be great but have not confirmed.
Positive displacement all the way… these TVS super chargers are pretty awesome 😎

Would be great if the FA24 engine does have the stronger rods like you suggested can handle a bit more boost than the previous motor…

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Probably not very helpful, but old Subaru used the same forged rods and crank between turbo and N/A. I don't know about modern Subaru.
The FA20 definitely did not share the same rods between the wrx and BRZ. It would be great news for those wanting to go with forced induction on the new BRZ, but I will believe it when I see it.

·
Registered
In line for a 22 Neptune Blue GR86 Manual
135 Posts
I prefer turbos over superchargers, for the dumbest reason of how it sounds. Hate the lag, I put the pedal to the metal on my moms turbo car and from a redlight it feels like it needs a solid second before it moves. However, since I live in the most car enthusiast friendly state California, if I were to go FI down the line I'd go supercharger. SO after all that rambling im saying im curious to see how this goes and what their CARB tune numbers look like.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I prefer turbos over superchargers, for the dumbest reason of how it sounds. Hate the lag, I put the pedal to the metal on my moms turbo car and from a redlight it feels like it needs a solid second before it moves. However, since I live in the most car enthusiast friendly state California, if I were to go FI down the line I'd go supercharger. SO after all that rambling im saying im curious to see how this goes and what their CARB tune numbers look like.
Lag is a thing of the past. What you feel on modern turbo cars is the computer not allowing the turbo to spool. It keeps the throttle blade closed and only opens about 20% as much as you tell it to at 1st. Modern turbo cars control boost with the throttle body more than the actual boost control control solenoids. The itty bitty turbos that oems use can spool up and be in boost quicker than your foot can be on the floor.
Totally agree turbos sound better. They are very inconsistent and hard to tune on cars that dont come stock with them. Superchargers give repeatedly consistent results. Thats why I prefer them.

·
Registered
In line for a 22 Neptune Blue GR86 Manual
135 Posts
Lag is a thing of the past. What you feel on modern turbo cars is the computer not allowing the turbo to spool. It keeps the throttle blade closed and only opens about 20% as much as you tell it to at 1st. Modern turbo cars control boost with the throttle body more than the actual boost control control solenoids. The itty bitty turbos that oems use can spool up and be in boost quicker than your foot can be on the floor.
Totally agree turbos sound better. They are very inconsistent and hard to tune on cars that dont come stock with them. Superchargers give repeatedly consistent results. Thats why I prefer them.
Im gonna be honest im a little intoxicated and im reading the words youre saying but im not understanding it haha. All I know is occasionally I'll throw the amg on sport plus and ill floor it off a red (only until the posted speed limit ofcourse) but it will take a second for the car to move. I keep re reading your explanation and it sounds like my issue isnt turbo lag but forced ecu lag i guess?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im gonna be honest im a little intoxicated and im reading the words youre saying but im not understanding it haha. All I know is occasionally I'll throw the amg on sport plus and ill floor it off a red (only until the posted speed limit ofcourse) but it will take a second for the car to move. I keep re reading your explanation and it sounds like my issue isnt turbo lag but forced ecu lag i guess?
LOL. You are correct.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Worst car with lag that I ever drove did not have forced induction. It was a brand new 2016 Kia Rio rental (worst car I've ever driven or been in and I've been in street driven "parts cars" with doors that opened on turns). Step on the throttle and the electronic throttle waited easily a full second before responding, then the transmission had to be elbowed after sitting through three snooze button cycles (actually about another full second) to start transmitting power to the wheels, then there was nothing over 12 squirrels worth of power until the engine hit 3500 rpm. All that and the thing only got 23 mpg! I almost got killed pulling away from intersections or going into rotaries every day I drove it, which was especially obnoxious as I was in the thing because my last car had been totaled from being rear-ended. When I test drove my Focus ST, I expected it to be better than the old '80s turbos I was more familiar with, but far better than that, it drove off from idle like an old small block with a proper cable throttle (my two previous cars—2005 Mazda 3 and 2012 Focus SE—had garbage electronic throttle calibration that couldn't figure out the transition from idle to open throttle plate, though I'd bet this effect was masked in the automatics). Also died around 5500 rpm like an old small block, but it never got under 25mpg from a tank and averaged 30.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Subaru BRZ, WR Blue Pearl
1,302 Posts
Turbo lag is due to not having enough exhaust gas to spool it up. If you are at low engine speed then you have both intake manifold and exhaust gasses to account for - without the turbo spinning quickly the car will be running effectively in a low state of performance compared to say a car designed for purely atmospheric pressure.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I reached out to sprintex and received a response this morning. They say there absolutely will be a twin screw supercharger kit for the 22+ cars. They "expect" it to be released Q4 of this year.
Guess what this guy will be getting.....

·
Super Moderator
1,302 Posts
I reached out to sprintex and received a response this morning. They say there absolutely will be a twin screw supercharger kit for the 22+ cars. They "expect" it to be released Q4 of this year.
Guess what this guy will be getting.....
Looking forward to seeing them!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am pretty convinced that harrop or sprintex is what I will go with. I am well aware that sprintex uses the least efficient design. Harrop and edelbrock use TVS blowers which are more efficient and heat soak less during heavy use. They are basically silent though. Maybe im just old school or its just my inner ford guy trying to get out but 50% of the fun from forced induction is the noises it makes. The sprintex blower whines just right. Its like music to my ears..!!

·
Super Moderator
1,302 Posts
I am pretty convinced that harrop or sprintex is what I will go with. I am well aware that sprintex uses the least efficient design. Harrop and edelbrock use TVS blowers which are more efficient and heat soak less during heavy use. They are basically silent though. Maybe im just old school or its just my inner ford guy trying to get out but 50% of the fun from forced induction is the noises it makes. The sprintex blower whines just right. Its like music to my ears..!!
Go for it!

·
Registered
22' Steel GR86 6MT
95 Posts
Any news from OFT or ECUtek? This car could definitely use some forced induction

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nothing recently. I have been in contact with both places. If I were just going to stick with bolt ons and E85 OFT would be the way to go. With forced induction I will only consider ECUtec. There is much more tuner support and more features. I plan to end up supercharged with flex fuel. I think a good E85 bend with 93 octane will be the sweet spot. My commute is too long to want to deal with the MPG of straight E85. Maybe if thr tank was bigger, but based on my MPG on on 93 octane I will barely get 200 miles on a tank of E85. LOL

1 - 19 of 19 Posts