Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2022 GR86 MT Base - Trueno Blue
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
A baffle plate is not going to help the oil drain back into the pan under high G turns. A supercharger will not hurt things in the oiling department either. Over revs and oil drain issues is what is killing these engines. I would not even consider adding a turbo considering the oil issues we already have. A supercharger should be fine. I still wouldnt trust HKS. They have a horrible reputation.
I haven’t heard anything bad about HKS, what’s the beef?

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
2,804 Posts
Most of their stuff is quality. They have a horrible reputation with their superchargers. They just dont last. They are usually good about replacing the unit once under warranty. But that involves sending it out and waiting months to get a new one back. The units are not repairable and must be fully replaced. Maybe things are better now, but I wouldnt spend my money on their kit.

• Helpful
Reactions: DylanJZA and repeet

·
Registered
2022 GR86 MT Base - Trueno Blue
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Most of their stuff is quality. The have a horrible reputation with their superchargers. They just dont last. They are usually good about replacing the unit once under warranty. But that involves sending it out and waiting months to get a new one back. The units are not repairable and must be fully replaced. Maybe things are better now, but I wouldnt spend my money on their kit.
Noted, something to look for in the coming months while others guinea pig

·
Registered
2022 GR86 Premium AT Trueno Blue
640 Posts
Most of their stuff is quality. They have a horrible reputation with their superchargers. They just dont last. They are usually good about replacing the unit once under warranty. But that involves sending it out and waiting months to get a new one back. The units are not repairable and must be fully replaced. Maybe things are better now, but I wouldnt spend my money on their kit.
Also noteworthy is that they will replace it one time and often after that will at least charge a fee if not charge you outright for a new unit slightly discounted.

TRU was the one that enlightened me on this and I went and did a lot of research on different forums, both 86 and others, and they just need to stop using non-rebuildable Rotrex blowers.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Also noteworthy is that they will replace it one time and often after that will at least charge a fee if not charge you outright for a new unit slightly discounted.

TRU was the one that enlightened me on this and I went and did a lot of research on different forums, both 86 and others, and they just need to stop using non-rebuildable Rotrex blowers.
They aren't using a Rotrex. They knocked off the original Rotrex design, which did have some issues. Rotrex updated their designs to make them reliable, while HKS is still using the old knocked off design.

·
Registered
640 Posts
They aren't using a Rotrex. They knocked off the original Rotrex design, which did have some issues. Rotrex updated their designs to make them reliable, while HKS is still using the old knocked off design.
yikes lol. They did however use actual Rotrex units in the past until creating their own apparently, but I guess it's been over a decade since then (checked to ensure I'm not going crazy).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Nowhere really. The Story is that HKS offered to help Rotrex patent the design in Japan, and originally used Rotrex units in their kits, only to Patent the design under HKS and they started making their own units. Rotrex has had a few design changes to improve the design since. I have been using Rotrex's since 2007.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Interesting. I remember everyone (companies included) saying HKS Rotrex and even went back into old threads from the early to mid 2000s where folks were referring to them as such, but that's wild if they never actually sold legitimate Rotrex units. Maybe everyone just referred to them as such since they were so similar/knockoff...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Interesting. I remember everyone (companies included) saying HKS Rotrex and even went back into old threads from the early to mid 2000s where folks were referring to them as such, but that's wild if they never actually sold legitimate Rotrex units. Maybe everyone just referred to them as such since they were so similar/knockoff...
No. They did for a short time use actual Rotrex's, until they made their own.

There are many stories dating back to the 80's of HKS screwing over companies to pass parts off as their own.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts