Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
2022 GR86 MT Base - Trueno Blue
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does this void the Toyota warranty? I'm new to the tuning world so sorry if my question sounds ridiculous.
Oh yeah, warranty goes bye-bye. For many it'll be worth waiting through 3/36 before installing anything big, for those with cash and don't care anyway, it's off to the races.

Ok who is gonna be the guinea pig
I'd love to know what the common failure are going to be... I want to keep it as a daily after all 馃槄

Registered
Oh yeah, warranty goes bye-bye. For many it'll be worth waiting through 3/36 before installing anything big, for those with cash and don't care anyway, it's off to the races.
Is it 36k or 45k? Why did I think it was 45K. I am roughly 21k a year so I don't have that long to wait either way. And isn't the drivetrain/emissions like 100K?

Registered
Red GR86 MT Premium
HKS GT2 Product Page
They finally did it boys
almost 300 hp, respectable, a flat 300 should be doable I feel, but 297 would be ok at that point 馃槀
That Larry Chen fella already has the SC on his daily drift build along with a ton of other parts ofcourse, I think the SC in that form with the piggy back ecu won't play well with other tunes since its a separate unit (someone with more knowledge can chime in).

However if that's your sole bolt on along with HKS headers and their branded stuff then maybe it'll work fine? then for warranty work remove everything and take to dealership.. then hope for the best (provided you did not cut out pieces of your engine lol to install the SC)

Registered
Does this void the Toyota warranty? I'm new to the tuning world so sorry if my question sounds ridiculous.
What is the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act?
What does Magnuson Moss mean for the aftermarket community?

The Magnuson Moss Warranty Act prohibits automobile manufacturers and dealers from voiding a vehicle鈥檚 warranty because an aftermarket part or a part not made by the original manufacturer was installed on said vehicle.

Alright, so let鈥檚 translate that into regular people speak: your warranty for the most part will NOT be voided because you鈥檝e installed an aftermarket part. Good. This act also prevents the dealer from requiring you to have all your repairs done at the dealership or from only installing replacement parts that are OEM.

While the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act covers a lot, if not nearly all, of the products you might install on your vehicle, things do start to get kind of complicated when we get into any particular part that might modify or change the way that your vehicle was intended to operate. So we want to make sure you know exactly how this all works before you dive into making major purchases of Aftermarket parts.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That Larry Chen fella already has the SC on his daily drift build along with a ton of other parts ofcourse, I think the SC in that form with the piggy back ecu won't play well with other tunes since its a separate unit (someone with more knowledge can chime in).

However if that's your sole bolt on along with HKS headers and their branded stuff then maybe it'll work fine? then for warranty work remove everything and take to dealership.. then hope for the best (provided you did not cut out pieces of your engine lol to install the SC)
I understand he had the kit already, but It was sponsored by HKS so I hardly think it counts. Nor did he release performance numbers of what his car was doing so probably NDA'd

Bet we're going to see a lot of spun bearings. This car already has oiling problems
I really hope a baffle plate will be enough to keep that from happening. If not more waiting

Registered
In one of Larry Chen's videos he goes over the HP gains. On 91 octane it was 255 crank HP, 95 octane was getting 275 crank HP. With F-Con (v1.0 once its out) an aftermarket intake and 98 octane they're getting 300 crank HP.

Skip to 18:00 If this doesnt start there.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
In one of Larry Chen's videos he goes over the HP gains. On 91 octane it was 255 crank HP, 95 octane was getting 275 crank HP. With F-Con (v1.0 once its out) an aftermarket intake and 98 octane they're getting 300 crank HP.

Skip to 18:00 If this doesnt start there.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Now I wonder if that's converted at all to US AKI or if HKS was telling him in RON. Cause if it takes race gas constantly just to make 300 that's disapointing

Registered
2022 BRZ Limited WRB
So let鈥檚 say 93 splits the difference to 265 crank鈥 I have to be honest and say that is really not very impressive. Area under the curve, I know. But still.

cars are putting down about 230 wheel on e85 tune. That works out to 270 crank, assuming 15% powertrain loss. Not saying an e85 would be faster in all situations, but that鈥檚 still pretty underwhelming ngl. Hopefully it鈥檚 just the piggyback limitation and they鈥檒l make heaps more now that we can get into the ecu. Im pretty confident 300 wheel will be a pretty daily-able level if done right.

Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
I really hope a baffle plate will be enough to keep that from happening. If not more waiting
A baffle plate is not going to help the oil drain back into the pan under high G turns. A supercharger will not hurt things in the oiling department either. Over revs and oil drain issues is what is killing these engines. I would not even consider adding a turbo considering the oil issues we already have. A supercharger should be fine. I still wouldnt trust HKS. They have a horrible reputation.

Registered
A baffle plate is not going to help the oil drain back into the pan under high G turns. A supercharger will not hurt things in the oiling department either. Over revs and oil drain issues is what is killing these engines. I would not even consider adding a turbo considering the oil issues we already have. A supercharger should be fine. I still wouldnt trust HKS. They have a horrible reputation.
Not challenging, but curious about the reasons a belt-driven compressor would be OK but not a turbine-driven compressor.

Registered
WR Blue Pearl 2022 BRZ Limited 6AT
So dry sump then?

Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
Not challenging, but curious about the reasons a belt-driven compressor would be OK but not a turbine-driven compressor.
Because a turbo feeds off of the engine oil as well. It also adds a great deal of heat to the oil, breaks it down and makes it dirty much more quickly. On a vehicle that didnt already have oiling issues, I wouldnt object. This car cant afford to have its oil system taxed any further IMO. Superchargers have their own self contained oil and will not have the same issues.
So dry sump then?
Likely the only true fix.
Granted its my belief that street cars and autocross racers have nothing to worry about. Its more the large, faster tracks that have wide sweeping turns that can run the sump dry due to poor drainage.

• Helpful
Reactions: repeet and Ritter
1 - 20 of 25 Posts