Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT Trueno Blue (In-Transit)
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got it in the mail today, slapped it on during my lunch break. Sounds a little better, doesn't have that weird plastic box underneath (any idea what it's purpose is?), and no accordion style inside so assumingly better air flow. Seems to be the same as the ApexI version but about half the price and actually in-stock on their site.
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Auto part
Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Camera accessory Rim Exhaust system

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just bought this too. No idea what the box is. Is there anything like mesh inside or a mini filter?
Upon further investigation, it destabilized and depressurizes backflow from closed cylinders, apparently making it easier for air to flow into the intake. So this intake tube may actually reduce power without it

·
Registered
30 Posts
Upon further investigation, it destabilized and depressurizes backflow from closed cylinders, apparently making it easier for air to flow into the intake. So this intake tube may actually reduce power without it
Hmmm well this unfortunate news. We may actually be loosing hp then lol. I wonder if it can damage anything from the lesser pressure difference it produces.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hmmm well this unfortunate news. We may actually be loosing hp then lol. I wonder if it can damage anything from the lesser pressure difference it produces.
If anything I'd imagine that it would reduce air flow post-MAF, so the MAF would be saying to dump more fuel than needed, resulting in it running slightly richer than it needs to. If that's the case, it shouldn't pose a risk. Running lean is the easiest way to kill an engine that I've found

·
Registered
30 Posts
If anything I'd imagine that it would reduce air flow post-MAF, so the MAF would be saying to dump more fuel than needed, resulting in it running slightly richer than it needs to. If that's the case, it shouldn't post a risk. Running lean is the easiest way to kill an engine that I've found
That calms my nerves a little. I was genuinely worried about messing with internals slowly for the reason of having +1-2 hp more and more air gulp sounds. Are you running any aftermarket filters? I didn’t want to wait on the grimmspeed filter. I ordered a air blitz filter for about $50.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That calms my nerves a little. I was genuinely worried about messing with internals slowly for the reason of having +1-2 hp more and more air gulp sounds. Are you running any aftermarket filters? I didn’t want to wait on the grimmspeed filter. I ordered a air blitz filter for about $50.
My car came with the GR filter, basically a K&N just different branding you'll never see

·
Registered
2022 Toyota GR86 Premium 6MT (pre-order)
151 Posts
Looks like a typical sound resonator to me, although the explanation you found would be nice/convenient, not sure if the engineers really went that far....who knows. I have the Grimmspeed inlet and definitely noticed smoother throttle response, would doubt any power loss but who knows...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When was the last time any kind aftermarket intake was worth it? IMO it's a money grab that just will not die.
Well, for me the last time one was worth it was with my starion, as it's OEM intake had cracked in the accordion folds, leaking hot engine bay air into the factory cold air intake (they routed the intake to the fender from factory) sooo about a year ago?

Jokes aside, it's something to do and change up while waiting for more things to release 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
281 Posts
If anything I'd imagine that it would reduce air flow post-MAF, so the MAF would be saying to dump more fuel than needed, resulting in it running slightly richer than it needs to. If that's the case, it shouldn't post a risk. Running lean is the easiest way to kill an engine that I've found
I bought this also. Hmmm I wonder if this really is an improvement..or just noise.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Brian at JST Tuning said he'd throw one on his car and dyno it, then post results. I highly doubt that the resonator in the intake tube will lose / gain any power.
Cool, interested to see it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Everything's got to be so damn complicated. Plus I tend to over analyze everything. I just want more induction sound without sacrificing performance. I don't really care if there are any gains. The 17 year old in me wants to put a hot air intake on there just to hear that suck, but my grown-ass man self says that's dumb.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts