Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
GR86
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Japan reporting in here :)

Am super pumped to have found this forum! Aside from the fact that it takes me back to old-school forums of my youth, I'm stoked to have found a place that discusses the GR86/BRZ specifically.
Though given there are zero posts in the Asia sub-forum, I might be the only one in this part of globe so far.

As for my car, in a couple of months I'll be the proud owner of a GR86 Manual RZ with full TRD aero in Magnetite Metallic Grey. I'll break this down a little bit (as it might be interesting to some of you):

The car grades in Japan are slightly different to their overseas counterparts. In Japan there are 3 grades supplied for the GR86 - RZ, SZ and RC.

RZ is the top grade, but it's slightly different to the overseas "Premium" model. None of the grades - including the top one - come with Navigation/Audio (they call this "Audioless" here) - though the car still has eight speakers included. Navi is essentially a dealer option, but you can also go the DIY route, or have a garage install an aftermarket one. It doesn't come with the ducktail spoiler as standard, unlike the overseas models. It has 18inch rims with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires.

SZ is mid grade, and is probably closest to the low tier in the rest of the world (sorry I'm not quite sure what it's called). Also "Audioless" - but has six lower-grade speakers in comparison to the RZ. No fancy things like heated seats, auto-steer headlights etc. 17inch rims on Michelin Primacy HP tires.

RC is Toyota's special "race" grade here, and is the cheapest of the bunch. Essentially a version for people who know they're going to turn it in to a track car. It comes with budget 16inch steel wheels, because anyone getting this grade would obviously want to put their own rims and tires on. Also has none of the fancy extras, and only two speakers total.

As far as colour goes, Magnetite Metallic Grey is equivalent to Pavement overseas.

Then there's the TRD aero kit. I think this is so far exclusive to Japan. It includes front, bumper & trunk spoilers, side skirts, more aggressive side vent fins, front spoiler canards. You can see roughly what the setup would look like here by clicking on "Aerodynamics parts" under the "Features" section.

Oh as for myself? I'm originally from New Zealand, but I've lived in Japan since 2006 and pretty much call this place home now. Yeah, that's about it as far as "me" goes haha.

Am happy to be a Japan-side correspondent if people have particular questions or queries about what's going on over here in the BRZ/GR86 world :)

·
Registered
423 Posts

Am super pumped to have found this forum! Aside from the fact that it takes me back to old-school forums of my youth, I'm stoked to have found a place that discusses the GR86/BRZ specifically.
Though given there are zero posts in the Asia sub-forum, I might be the only one in this part of globe so far.
Interesting, thanks. Why
As for my car, in a couple of months I'll be the proud owner of a GR86 Manual RZ with full TRD aero in Magnetite Metallic Grey. I'll break this down a little bit (as it might be interesting to some of you):

The car grades in Japan are slightly different to their overseas counterparts. In Japan there are 3 grades supplied for the GR86 - RZ, SZ and RC.

RZ is the top grade, but it's slightly different to the overseas "Premium" model. None of the grades - including the top one - come with Navigation/Audio (they call this "Audioless" here) - though the car still has eight speakers included. Navi is essentially a dealer option, but you can also go the DIY route, or have a garage install an aftermarket one. It also does not come with the ducktail spoiler as standard. It has 18inch rims with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires.

SZ is mid grade, and is probably closest to the low tier in the rest of the world (sorry I'm not quite sure what it's called). Also "Audioless" - but has six lower-grade speakers in comparison to the RZ. No fancy things like heated seats, auto-steer headlights etc. 17inch rims on Michelin Primacy HP tires.

RC is Toyota's special "race" grade here, and is the cheapest of the bunch. Essentially a version for people who know they're going to turn it in to a track car. It comes with budget 16inch steel wheels, because anyone getting this grade would obviously want to put their own rims and tires on. Also has none of the fancy extras, and only two speakers total.

As far as colour goes, Magnetite Metallic Grey is equivalent to Pavement overseas.

Then there's the TRD aero kit. I think this is so far exclusive to Japan. It includes front, bumper & trunk spoilers, side skirts, more aggressive side vent fins, front spoiler canards. You can see roughly what the setup would look like here by clicking on "Aerodynamics parts" under the "Features" section.

Oh as for myself? I'm originally from New Zealand, but I've lived in Japan since 2006 and pretty much call this place home now. Yeah, that's about it as far as "me" goes haha.

Am happy to be a Japan-side correspondent if people have particular questions or queries about what's going on over here in the BRZ/GR86 world :)
Interesting, thanks. Why audioless? Is aftermarket sound more popular? Toyota hasn’t been known for good audio systems. I follow the Supramkv forum as well. Lots of people are unhappy with the sound system there. One guy spent $6000 USD building a complete custom system, including custom speaker enclosures. That’s overkill to me.

·
Registered
GR86
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting, thanks. Why audioless? Is aftermarket sound more popular? Toyota hasn’t been known for good audio systems. I follow the Supramkv forum as well. Lots of people are unhappy with the sound system there. One guy spent $6000 USD building a complete custom system, including custom speaker enclosures. That’s overkill to me.
I've asked myself the same question. I would say for the average Japanese buyer, dealer-optioned audio is far more common than going aftermarket - Most people here buy their new car, add whatever the dealer suggests (even if it's a total ripoff), and leave it at that.

With my marketing hat on, Japan absolutely markets these cars as "pure driver cars", so perhaps they feel like they can get away with not including a navi/head-unit because that should be considered an after-thought for any truly "pure" driver.

With my pessimistic hat on however, I think it's just their douchey way of up-selling you. The Toyota dealer options for navigation start at 160,000yen (approx USD1300) and go up from there. You can't even just get a cheap n basic audio-only head-unit installed from factory. I'm happy to go the DIY route personally as I actually want an Android head-unit, which is kinda rare over here.

My Japanese is middling at best, so admittedly I'm not fully plugged in to everything over here; but from all the Japanese Youtube videos and reviews I've seen online, almost no-one talks much about the audio quality. There's one hardcore car audio website that broke down and analyzed all the speakers and said the sound quality is "average", and then went on to explain they are developing their own high-end audio swap-out. I found another website that gave a brief list of Pioneer speakers, baffles and adapters that they used to upgrade some of the speakers in their BRZ. So there are people who are interested in sound quality - but I'd say the good majority don't really care too much.

·
Registered
2018 Fiesta ST, 2019 Shelby GT350R
196 Posts

RZ is the top grade, but it's slightly different to the overseas "Premium" model. None of the grades - including the top one - come with Navigation/Audio (they call this "Audioless" here) - though the car still has eight speakers included. Navi is essentially a dealer option, but you can also go the DIY route, or have a garage install an aftermarket one. It doesn't come with the ducktail spoiler as standard, unlike the overseas models. It has 18inch rims with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires.

Welcome to the party, pal!

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've asked myself the same question. I would say for the average Japanese buyer, dealer-optioned audio is far more common than going aftermarket - Most people here buy their new car, add whatever the dealer suggests (even if it's a total ripoff), and leave it at that.

With my marketing hat on, Japan absolutely markets these cars as "pure driver cars", so perhaps they feel like they can get away with not including a navi/head-unit because that should be considered an after-thought for any truly "pure" driver.

With my pessimistic hat on however, I think it's just their douchey way of up-selling you. The Toyota dealer options for navigation start at 160,000yen (approx USD1300) and go up from there. You can't even just get a cheap n basic audio-only head-unit installed from factory. I'm happy to go the DIY route personally as I actually want an Android head-unit, which is kinda rare over here.

My Japanese is middling at best, so admittedly I'm not fully plugged in to everything over here; but from all the Japanese Youtube videos and reviews I've seen online, almost no-one talks much about the audio quality. There's one hardcore car audio website that broke down and analyzed all the speakers and said the sound quality is "average", and then went on to explain they are developing their own high-end audio swap-out. I found another website that gave a brief list of Pioneer speakers, baffles and adapters that they used to upgrade some of the speakers in their BRZ. So there are people who are interested in sound quality - but I'd say the good majority don't really care too much.
I don’t need Navi. I bought a 2013 Prius in 2016 with Navi, but I never used it because I wasn’t about to spend $300 to update the maps. I use Apple maps, and am glad the GR86 has Car Play.
I had a 2001 MR2 Spider and I did aftermarket speakers and sub. I replaced the door speakers in the Prius. The installer threw them in the hatch. They were thrashed. i have to have music in my car, and would rather not have the factory audio, even though the Premium I’m getting has 8 speakers.

·
Registered
GR86
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same in Japan LOL.
My car will be arrived in the end of April as SZ grade.
Hey awesome! When did you ordered your car? I placed my order with Toyota at the start of December, and they estimated mid-March to mid-April arrival.

I wish I could have the RC. It probably has no piped in sound effects either.
Yep you're right. They removed what's called "Active Noise Sound Control" in the RC model. Though it also removes comforts like floor, engine and muffler sound deadening, so it'd be loud in a different way :)

·
Registered
51 Posts

Am super pumped to have found this forum!
I am too. The last time I participated in a forum like this was when I posted in a forum called "Temple of VTEC". That was while I was waiting for my 1998 Integra Type-R. Now I am waiting for my GR86, I hope owning it will be as awesome as owning the Type-R was.

·
Registered
GR86
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am too. The last time I participated in a forum like this was when I posted in a forum called "Temple of VTEC". That was while I was waiting for my 1998 Integra Type-R. Now I am waiting for my GR86, I hope owning it will be as awesome as owning the Type-R was.
Aye you got the NZ flag on your profile there. Looks like there are a few kiwi's on here huh? Aotearoa represent :D

·
Registered
107 Posts

You would be made welcome here (sent you a PM) 😉

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey awesome! When did you ordered your car? I placed my order with Toyota at the start of December, and they estimated mid-March to mid-April arrival.
SAME. Since I need to move my address to the new place next month, they told me it will be around the end of April.
I was told that there will be version B after February contains some minor change.

·
Registered
GR86
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was told that there will be version B after February contains some minor change.
Now that's interesting information! I wonder what the changes are... and I wonder if we will get the Version B because we get our cars in April? Probably not but...

Anyway, I have set up a LINE chat group for GR86/BRZ owners in Japan. If you would like to join, send me a PM and I can find a way to add you to the group :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Now that's interesting information! I wonder what the changes are... and I wonder if we will get the Version B because we get our cars in April? Probably not but...

Anyway, I have set up a LINE chat group for GR86/BRZ owners in Japan. If you would like to join, send me a PM and I can find a way to add you to the group :)
PM send! :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts