Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's still too soon to decide and I'm only going to test drive the gr yaris by the end of this month, but considering everything people are saying about the car and assuming the gr86 is going to be like a gt86 with a good tune which car seems to be the most fun to you. I'm a bit torned because I always loved evos and silvias and this cars are very similar to the 86 and the gr yaris.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If Yaris GR can still be ordered in your country and you have funds to buy it, there is nothing to think about. This car will be iconic with little or no loss in value. If you get bored you will be able to sell without loss and then buy GR86. Maybe even some nice limited version with a performance package.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If Yaris GR can still be ordered in your country and you have funds to buy it, there is nothing to think about. This car will be iconic with little or no loss in value. If you get bored you will be able to sell without loss and then buy GR86. Maybe even some nice limited version with a performance package.
The gr86 is going to be as expensive or more than the yaris. I don't really care about value retention or anything to be honest, what I really care is if the car is fun to drive. The reason I'm debating is because I always wanted a rwd car and rwd is always more fun in an empty parking lot but the gr yaris is also very appealing and has amazing performance.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The GR86 is definitely a great car, but this level of power gets boring quickly and leaves you wanting more. If I bought a car this year, the Yaris GR would be available for order in my country and I would have 100% of the funds to cover the purchase, I would not be in this forum. ;) As I wrote earlier, the Yaris GR will have the status of a cult car once it sells out in all markets.

On the other hand, the GR86 is a true driver's car. Whatever you choose, you will be satisfied.

Unfortunately, I have to settle for the i20N.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The GR86 is definitely a great car, but this level of power gets boring quickly and leaves you wanting more. If I bought a car this year, the Yaris GR would be available for order in my country and I would have 100% of the funds to cover the purchase, I would not be in this forum. ;) As I wrote earlier, the Yaris GR will have the status of a cult car once it sells out in all markets.

On the other hand, the GR86 is a true driver's car. Whatever you choose, you will be satisfied.

Unfortunately, I have to settle for the i20N.
The current generation is as fast as an mx5 2.0 nd which isn't fast but is quick enough. The gr yaris seems to be a very neutral car which may not be as fun. Again regarding power, I'm going to tune either car when the warranty runs out so I only care if it has enough power to have fun on some mountain roads and do some stupid stuff on empty parking lots.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The current generation is as fast as an mx5 2.0 nd which isn't fast but is quick enough. The gr yaris seems to be a very neutral car which may not be as fun. Again regarding power, I'm going to tune either car when the warranty runs out so I only care if it has enough power to have fun on some mountain roads and do some stupid stuff on empty parking lots.
Sounds like you already made your decision lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
The gr86 is going to be as expensive or more than the yaris
I certainly hope not! In Australia the outgoing model is almost 20k cheaper than the GR Yaris. I test drove the GR Yaris earlier this year, while it was certainly fun it’s pushing the upper end of my budget so I’ll be going for the GR86. Like you, I’ve always been a big fan of Silva’s so having the opportunity to own what is basically a modern version is hard to look past. I’ve also never owned a RWD car. 0-100 times don’t bother me too much, as long as I can have a bit of fun, and once warranty is up modify if I please 🙂

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I certainly hope not! In Australia the outgoing model is almost 20k cheaper than the GR Yaris. I test drove the GR Yaris earlier this year, while it was certainly fun it’s pushing the upper end of my budget so I’ll be going for the GR86. Like you, I’ve always been a big fan of Silva’s so having the opportunity to own what is basically a modern version is hard to look past. I’ve also never owned a RWD car. 0-100 times don’t bother me too much, as long as I can have a bit of fun, and once warranty is up modify if I please 🙂
In Portugal is probably going to be, the last gen costed 44k and with a the bigger engine it means that it's going to be 2.5k more expensive and I don't know how the emissions are going to be and what kind of price toyota is going to charge, so it could be even more expensive. Just for comparison the mustang ecoboost costs 54k and at that price I would probably go with the gr yaris with the circuit pack that costs 46k here. Was the gr yaris too neutral, did you notice any tendency to understeer or oversteer and does the engine sound as bad as in all the reviews?

·
Registered
8 Posts
In Portugal is probably going to be, the last gen costed 44k and with a the bigger engine it means that it's going to be 2.5k more expensive and I don't know how the emissions are going to be and what kind of price toyota is going to charge, so it could be even more expensive. Just for comparison the mustang ecoboost costs 54k and at that price I would probably go with the gr yaris with the circuit pack that costs 46k here. Was the gr yaris too neutral, did you notice any tendency to understeer or oversteer and does the engine sound as bad as in all the reviews?
Damn that's rough... The eco boost mustang and GR Yaris are about the same price here (Yaris: 55K, Mustang: 58K) and the current GT86 starts at 36K. Seems like you guys get taxed on bigger displacement.

The GR Yaris was fun, it actually feels pretty old school as far as throttle response goes as it's a little laggy, which kind of feels like a bit of a throwback to the 90's. I couldn't give you a gauge on under/oversteer as I was mostly on dead straight highway in a major metropolitan area :D As for the engine sound I wasn't a fan, the in cabin sound is pretty over the top and outside the car is dead quiet. Obviously these things can be fixed with modification though...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn that's rough... The eco boost mustang and GR Yaris are about the same price here (Yaris: 55K, Mustang: 58K) and the current GT86 starts at 36K. Seems like you guys get taxed on bigger displacement.

The GR Yaris was fun, it actually feels pretty old school as far as throttle response goes as it's a little laggy, which kind of feels like a bit of a throwback to the 90's. I couldn't give you a gauge on under/oversteer as I was mostly on dead straight highway in a major metropolitan area :D As for the engine sound I wasn't a fan, the in cabin sound is pretty over the top and outside the car is dead quiet. Obviously these things can be fixed with modification though...
Yeah, taxes here are based on displacement, emissions and fuel. The old school vibe is part of the appeal to me, but if the car is too neutral I'm probably not going to love it. Let's hope I can see how it behaves on a test drive. Yeah from the videos the engine sound isn't very good and it sounds like a vacuum cleaner from the outside, but the miltek exhaust helps a bit with that.
Thanks for the input

1 - 10 of 10 Posts