Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
If Subaru makes the PP available out of the gate that would easily sway me to the BRZ.

Now if Toyota brought over the auto-rev-matching they have on the MT Corolla to the GR86....
I confirmed with my dealer that PP was a factory installed option, and since it hasn't been available for anyone who has placed an order, it likely won't be available out of the gate. I'm already planning a brembo swap.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well if you were sitting in either car with it not in motion the only way to tell which is which is by the logo. Everything else inside is virtually identical. Of course perhaps when the BRZ is reviewed in a couple of weeks maybe there are small changes. The engines sound identical as well. So then it gets down to 2 items. 1) how they handle in a corner when driven in anger and which nose do you like better. I of course would hope that Subaru in its finalization of the BRZ does something more than the nose to distinguish it from the BRZ. I hope it is not making it a softer sportscar that's not as engaging to drive.

·
Registered
2023 Neptune Blue GR86 Premium 6MT
81 Posts
I'm definitely going for the 86. I just can't get over how the BRZ's bumper looks like the 😂 emoji. Plus, it sounds like I'd prefer the driving dynamics of the 86 more than the BRZ.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well I think it's simply 2 different philosophies in regard to vehicle handling. The BRZ will slide but it appears you have to provoke it more. Its natural tendency perhaps is for it not to want to slide. However, last year during the press drives with Scott Speed the BRZ was in fact hanging its tail out. Therefore, even with the changes Toyota has done with the front suspension perhaps there is not that much of a handling difference then you think. However, perhaps those BRZ's were not in final spec and may have been tuned to 86 specifications without anyone knowing it. Who knows. I still would assume that the handling difference is not night and day as Toyota would have you believe. Further, as I mentioned before the fastest way around a track is NOT sticking the tail out.

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
2,380 Posts
I dont mind when companies work together to make something great. At the same time I have something inside that just wont allow me to buy a vehicle that doesnt use an engine made by its brand. So, being a subaru engine... it had to be a subaru BRZ for me. Same goes with older cars too. It makes my skin crawl when I see guys put LS engines into an old foxbody mustang, or something like that. Now if you want to put a coyote 5.0 in it thats fine. At least thats the right brand. But I am weird like that.

·
Registered
2022 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
73 Posts
as far as I understand, the suspension differences are bolt ons, the user can change and tune to their liking. I've read there's slight differences in steering feel/response and engine tuning, aside from that the only difference are cosmetics.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It's an easy choice for me as I like the front end on the GR more than BRZ, plus the automotive company I work for owns Toyota dealers but not Subaru so it's cheaper to get the GR on the service and parts side as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.