Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

GR86 Track Review (stock and lightly modded)

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  ruturaj1989 
#1 ·
Garage Days reviews a stock and a lightly modded GR86 (Cup 2's, BBK). The review is in Spanish but it's one of the most thorough reviews I've seen, including laptime data vs. other cars.

The reviewer seemed to really enjoy the experience of driving these cars. He looked exhausted after setting the fast laps haha :LOL:

#2 ·
Favorite quote from the video:

“…the touch it has is from a car from many years ago. The driving feel, the sensations that it transmits to you, it is not from a modern car, it is from a car from many years ago but with this precision of now, I liked it very much, very much, very much.“

^ This is literally the PR statement that this car is.

Love this man’s passion for this car from driving it hard on the track. Love this car. There’s some fear-mongering, though perhaps just unintentionally, with this car. But…even if the engine is grenadable or people are nervous about RTV being a sneaking murderer of their engine like is told in the folk stories of 2022…lol I would buy this car over and over and over again. Those who sell this car for something else have taken something special for granted In my opinion. I will hold onto my 2023 to my grave…I wouldn’t mind it serving as my casket actually. 🤔 can I have that arranged?

#3 ·
Favorite quote from the video:

“…the touch it has is from a car from many years ago. The driving feel, the sensations that it transmits to you, it is not from a modern car, it is from a car from many years ago but with this precision of now, I liked it very much, very much, very much.“

^ This is literally the PR statement that this car is.

Love this man’s passion for this car from driving it hard on the track. Love this car. There’s some fear-mongering, though perhaps just unintentionally, with this car. But…even if the engine is grenadable or people are nervous about RTV being a sneaking murderer of their engine like is told in the folk stories of 2022…lol I would buy this car over and over and over again. Those who sell this car for something else have taken something special for granted In my opinion. I will hold onto my 2023 to my grave…I wouldn’t mind it serving as my casket actually. 🤔 can I have that arranged?
Haha I love my BRZ too. And yeah when he said that (while tossing the car sideways around a track), I knew he understood what makes these cars special.

#4 ·
Okay guys, I do love my BRZ very much.

I can't help to kinda shit on the Macpherson strut design, at the limit of corner entry the car just have this hint of understeer. Like hey look you're kicking the front struts in the chin right now, better ride out this understeer characteristic. Inorder to fix this, we need to get crazy front camber to get the front really to bite. But then with more camber, the car's front has this weird jacking motion. Imagine how great will this car be with Miata's/s2k's suspension geometry. It will probably be one of the best sportcar came out of Japan, regardless how unreliable has the FA24D been (mine has been super duper reliable)

I do love how the rear is lively, but it can be stable when you need it to. The rear follows the front's motion really well.

#5 · (Edited)
Okay guys, I do love my BRZ very much.

I can't help to kinda shit on the Macpherson strut design, at the limit of corner entry the car just have this hint of understeer. Like hey look you're kicking the front struts in the chin right now, better ride out this understeer characteristic. Inorder to fix this, we need to get crazy front camber to get the front really to bite. But then with more camber, the car's front has this weird jacking motion. Imagine how great will this car be with Miata's/s2k's suspension geometry. It will probably be one of the best sportcar came out of Japan, regardless how unreliable has the FA24D been (mine has been super duper reliable)

I do love how the rear is lively, but it can be stable when you need it to. The rear follows the front's motion really well.
What's the front jacking motion you're experiencing? Doesn't sound normal.

The front macpherson strut design is a compromise of course, largely driven by Subaru architecture and the wide boxer engine design, but the upshot is you get a bit lower COG at the front end and more importantly, static negative front camber is easy to add on these cars. Double-wishbone is obviously ideal, but macpherson strut design isn't too much of a hinderance as long as you can freely add/optimize static negative camber. I had a chance recently to drive my friend's stock suspension, max OEM camber alignment AP2 back to back with my stock suspension, double camber bolt BRZ and what was interesting was the BRZ turned in more sharply. I was surprised, so I asked my friend what he thought and he said he felt the same thing. Mid-corner the BRZ had slightly more push but was also easier to transition to oversteer with the throttle.

BTW not sure if you've seen this before, but good track comparison of AP2 S2000 CR vs. 2022 BRZ with similar mods/power/drivers and identical tires. From the video, I think the S2000 is carrying a hair more mid-corner speed, but BRZ has a little more shove coming out of corners and was ultimately faster by nearly a second. Good matchup though.

#11 ·
Haha yeah if you're pushing all the way to apex you’re definitely carrying way more entry speed than you’ve got grip, basically scrubbing speed using your front tires. Have to find other ways to rotate the car, whether trail-braking or changing your inputs, or maybe changing your setup.

On my track prepped FR-S, I never had any issues following similar tire, non-aero s2000’s into turns. From experience driving them, I agree s2000’s tend to be more neutral on entry and mid-corner, but overall the actual speed difference is pretty minimal. Just my experience though. There are also so many variables with setup, I’m hesitant to make broad conclusions.

#12 ·
A dual wishbone or multi-link will always be superior for that reason, dynamic camber is adaptable and awesome. But it is what it is and it's still really good when done right :)

It's the reason Porsche finally added the upper A-arm on the front of the 992 GT3, but hell they did MacPherson for how many decades?

#13 ·
Besides the different suspension geometries, 86's have a 55/45% weight distribution. The S2000 is 50/50 (with driver, a hardtop, and a full tank mine actually measured 48/52%). As a result, the S seemed to me more willing to pivot around the driver when cornering. Almost like a mid engine car.

The 86 kind of feels more like a FWD car to me. It wants to push first. Which you can counteract with the accelerator on corner exit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.