Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Apologies for this slightly gloomy topic but I'm sure you'd all agree it's definitely worth thinking about..

In Europe and the UK they've passed legislation to make GPS controlled speed limiting mandatory on all new car models introduced from 2022 and then all new cars no matter when introduced from 2024: Road safety: UK set to adopt vehicle speed limiters

I'd like to point out that I'm not pro-speeding or anything, just that I believe this should be a responsibility of the driver and having this nannied by electronics that are prone to errors etc is a big step backwards for personal freedom.

Anyway, given the GR86 has been delayed (and we're not getting the BRZ at all here in the UK, sniffle) I'm now worried Toyota aren't going to make this deadline in time. Also seeing as Europe is such a huge market wouldn't that then mean it might be fitted to all GR86s to save on production costs?

Although the limiter can be turned off by pressing a button every time you start the car (at least for the short term anyway), it's annoying & it would seriously put me off buying the GR86 as you can bet doing so will invalidate your insurance in the not too distant future. In fact this tech is set to massively compromise new car sales across the board: Analysis: why the public is split on speed limiters | Autocar

I'm sure Toyota are smart enough to realise this and will pull out all the stops to beat the deadline, especially if the reports of them only doing this to differentiate the car from the BRZ are true. But seeing as that car's not due to launch till the end of this year Toyota are cutting it mighty close!

So how would this effect your decision to get the GR86 if Toyota don't manage to make the deadline?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Welcome @VeeFource.

I'm not in the UK but it wouldn't impact my decision if I was.
The GR86 will still be one of the truly fun daily drivers out there for the average person, even with the speed limiter. Also, I'm sure the market will respond with a hack to get around it and to easily revert it when needed for an inspection. How often are they done in the UK? Or situations like it where they'll find out?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm not in the UK either but it wouldn't stop me from getting a GR86. When I want to go for some "enthusiastic" driving I'd turn it off and for daily commuting I'd leave it off. Someone is definitely going to find a way to remove it or stop it.

·
Super Moderator
241 Posts
I'll admit that this doesnt please me.

Part of buying the 86 was because I wanted to own from new and keep a old school car before the world goes electronic and automated. We know that cars, particularly the newer electric ones, are already dialing home to the dealership to inform them of any bad behavior and prevent disabling of saftey technology etc.

So while this may be minor and switchable, for me anyway it really sucks.

I'm lucky in that I live in Australia, I put a deposit down on an GR86 last year, and just this week I put a deposit down on the BRZ just to make sure I have options in case the GR86 comes out compromised (I'm actually worried that the reports about delay and wanting to change the cars gearing are because they have had to detune it help sell it in UK/EU market). I really like 170kw, 250nm - I'm not after more, and I wont accept less.

·
Registered
610 Posts
@VeeFource doesn't the UK have excellent driving roads? How about local events for enthusiasts like autocross at more local spots and tracks further out? I have to think those can make up for things like this speed limiter to an extent.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'll admit that this doesnt please me.

Part of buying the 86 was because I wanted to own from new and keep a old school car before the world goes electronic and automated. We know that cars, particularly the newer electric ones, are already dialing home to the dealership to inform them of any bad behavior and prevent disabling of saftey technology etc.

So while this may be minor and switchable, for me anyway it really sucks.

I'm lucky in that I live in Australia, I put a deposit down on an GR86 last year, and just this week I put a deposit down on the BRZ just to make sure I have options in case the GR86 comes out compromised (I'm actually worried that the reports about delay and wanting to change the cars gearing are because they have had to detune it help sell it in UK/EU market). I really like 170kw, 250nm - I'm not after more, and I wont accept less.
Yeah I'm glad that limiters like this haven't come to the US. Though who knows long that will be at this rate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@VeeFource doesn't the UK have excellent driving roads? How about local events for enthusiasts like autocross at more local spots and tracks further out? I have to think those can make up for things like this speed limiter to an extent.
There are some awesome roads here but most of the ones near to civilisation can get very busy at peak times so you have to pick your moments. There are tracks around too but it's very expensive, especially in the summer.

I quite like the adventure element with road driving so not feeling like you're driving a nannying kids toy is definitely important to me and I'd wager to most other driving enthusiasts too.

·
Registered
610 Posts
There are some awesome roads here but most of the ones near to civilisation can get very busy at peak times so you have to pick your moments. There are tracks around too but it's very expensive, especially in the summer.

I quite like the adventure element with road driving so not feeling like you're driving a nannying kids toy is definitely important to me and I'd wager to most other driving enthusiasts too.
Interesting.

As someone living in the UK, do you think the speed limiting tech can really impact GR86 sales?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting.

As someone living in the UK, do you think the speed limiting tech can really impact GR86 sales?
I think it really depends on whether the car has a black box capability. If it's just a case of pressing a button every time you start the car and that's not recorded then I'm sure most people could live with that. But if it is or you also have to disable lane keep assist (I'm looking at you Yaris GR!) and turn your music off (now looking at the Suzuki Swift Sport) and select sport mode (nearly all cars) every single time you start the car as well then I for one would just keep my current car. Or even just walk which would probably be quicker instead of having to do all that lol.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts