Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner

GR86 - Texas Dealers Info

41K views 337 replies 31 participants last post by  Lil'red riding-hood 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey y'all,
Thought I would get us started here in the Texas category. Let's put dealer information on the GR86 here. I'm in the Austin area and have only heard back from two dealers.

Charles Maund Toyota - Austin
  • $2000 markup
  • Taking $500 refundable deposits

Toyota of Cedar Park - Leander

#3 ·
Im in Houston too, best bet is knowing somebody who has connections , my self and 2 other friends made a deposit and our orders were accepted by Toyota Japan 10/31 on behalf of the dealer. We were only able to secure a car by having a connection through a sales guy from my Porsche dealer after a few dealers basically told us to F off " we have no info and we can't build you even a Corolla if we wanted to" . Granted $1200 ADM and at MSRP I'm not gonna complain.

#9 ·
On that note, I’ve contacted Fred Haas Toyota Country and they were useless. They offered me a preference order and an appointment over the phone and when I got there they just wasted my time, was told that the appointment I made was with a manager (so a sales rep would take care of me instead) and then proceeded to feed me the most useless generic dealership runaround that I could get. Needless to say, I walked out of there with nothing. I also contacted Fred Haas Toyota World but they weren’t much help either.

DonMcGill Toyota is adamant they don’t have any info (not even pricing, which is just wrong) and that they can’t do anything until they have an allocation. Toyota of Katy doesn’t have any info whatsoever but they ultimately did mention they would be taking deliveries in February.

#12 ·
I talked to Sterling McCall at end of october and the only thing they offered was to let me put down a $1K deposit but said they couldn't preference the car yet. Emailed Tejas Toyota yesterday but they also reported they still can't preference cars.

I'm with Lostinmysenses on this--not going to consider paying any ADM if I don't know when that gets the car in my hands. Seems the BRZ folks are getting MSRP without it being a big issue so I'm not sure why the Toyota one shouldn't be similar. If it is truly mid 2022 before these cars are attainable then I'd consider waiting for a CTR or GR Corolla as I've got an S2000 so this DD duty GR86 is already a bit redundant.

#13 ·
So for those of you who don't work at a car dealer, no not trying to shit all over your hopes and dreams but this is the deal . Dealers pick and choose who gets to buy what from what I've seen, notice no incentives , most dealers want in house financing and prefer you have a trade in . So the dreams of paying only MSRP and getting it sooner , maybe 2 years ago but it's gonna be a while till there is some stability in the auto industry.

#14 ·
My question is still then why can the BRZ reportedly be had for MSRP (sure there are marked up examples) but we expect different for the GR 86? Rather than speculate I imagine we will soon start to see reports once Toyota starts doing allocations and dealers begin to firm things up with people.

#15 ·
The markup on the GR86 at sterling McCall is the $1200 package, you will get a prebuild which honestly the 86 compared to the Japanese counter part doesn't get alot of factory only options. So getting a prebuild car that is 95% already what you wanted minus BOLT ON options and getting it alot sooner than waiting and properly "building one" makes sense to me .
Dealers at this point can charge what they want and there's little Toyota and Subaru can do except penalize the franchise owner like a slap on the wrist for trying to rape people. I've seen it happen to other Porsche dealers here in town, but that's just my 2 cents.

#16 ·
Toyota Cedar Park customer here, put down a $1000 refundable deposit mid-Oct, emailed them today as the configurator is live and they said they'd be back in touch asap.
They told me (mid-Oct) that a 'handful' of people had put down deposits already for allocation vehicles, and that we were the first to put a deposit down for a custom order. Seeing as how there's so little in terms of options (other than dealer add-on's) I told them we'd happily take the first Premium Raven in Manual they had to offer us. So we shall wait and see...

#20 ·
Not yet, unfortunately. Cedar Park is the only one that was willing to take a deposit but they didn’t have much, if any new info to share with me. I’m ready to leave a deposit but I at least would like a preference order for an allocation and they weren’t able to give me that. I have, however, been able to officially preference order with inventory managers at two separate San Antonio dealerships without having to leave a deposit. As for dealerships in the Houston region, even with the configurator I’m still getting the response that they don’t know pricing and can’t do anything until they get more information and/or allocations.

#28 ·
So here’s the thing, I keep hearing that Toyota - unlike Subaru - won’t take “pre-orders” or “build orders”, but what they can do is “preference order”. Which means, they can’t actually request a specific build to be made for anyone but they can request a preferred build for allocation, which is what I’ve been trying to do with the dealerships I’ve been working with. Essentially, if they don’t preference anything, they’ll just get whatever Toyota sends them. Which is annoying, because even though they can’t process an order and build to spec, the dealerships I’ve spoken with will pretty much just say “no orders” flat out, which is kinda frustrating and misleading. Sure, they can’t take a build order for us, but taking a preference order for the spec we want and a deposit is the most sensible thing I can think of in this situation. Still, most dealerships don’t want to go through any of that. That’s what’s been pretty frustrating about all of this; even when someone says they “got an order in” (which is really helpful for all of us to know), you still have to ask, was it just a deposit, did they just write down a preferred spec for you and put you on a list, or did they actually send a preference order with the inventory manager? Anyway, I guess I’m just trying to say make sure to double check their wording and try to get a preference order in with the inventory manager if you can. That seems to be the best guarantee for us to get our 86s as soon as possible. Also, if anyone is able to confirm MSRP or lower, sharing that with us will allow everyone else to negotiate a fair price (hopefully even under MSRP).

#30 ·
If anyone would like to message me I will give you the dealership I went with and my name so I can get a tiny referral bonus. I have zero affiliations with any dealership and have never even purchased a new car until now. I'm just a car enthusiast who wants a daily with a warranty, haha.

The salesperson I spoke with told me they will sell me the car at MSRP but the dealer installs tint and PPF on all incoming cars "to stay in business" which at this point I'm okay with. If you want to pick a bone with them about it, probably best you try somewhere else. Sadly, they have the advantage with selling these cars in this market and they know it.

#31 ·
Did they tell you the price on the mandatory dealer package? These packages are how dealers are able to say "I don't charge ADM" while marking up these mandatory packages including things like nitrogen filled tires, interior protection packages, wheel damage insurance, tint, PPF, anti-theft recovery snakeoil, apps, etc. Went with my girlfriend to buy a used car a few months ago and one of these packages was $3K. Initial quotes I heard a month ago for the GR86 were $1400 for mandatory add-on package but when I contacted this month they would no longer do that pricing.

If the price is right I'm happy to consider this dealer (and more than happy to get you a referral bonus).

#32 ·
Did they tell you the price on the mandatory dealer package? These packages are how dealers are able to say "I don't charge ADM" while marking up these mandatory packages including things like nitrogen filled tires, interior protection packages, wheel damage insurance, tint, PPF, anti-theft recovery snakeoil, apps, etc. Went with my girlfriend to buy a used car a few months ago and one of these packages was $3K. Initial quotes I heard a month ago for the GR86 were $1400 for mandatory add-on package but when I contacted this month they would no longer do that pricing.

If the price is right I'm happy to consider this dealer (and more than happy to get you a referral bonus).

#34 ·
UPDATE* if your dealer is is part of GST (Gulf states Toyota ) there is a curve ball coming . GST like most importers/distributors will for the most part follow Toyota guidelines , suggestions, ect. So the only variable from my experience in the auto industry is the EPA holding these cars at the port for certification due to a "new" chassis and new engine for MY22. Had a similar thing happen with various Porsche models like the 2020 992 911, took a month or so to release them from the port. Not to say it won't happen but just something that does happen from time to time .

#35 ·
Charles Maund Toyota reached out to me today. Guy said ETA for the first few orders is December, others most likely January depending on what Toyota makes first.
I went ahead and put a refundable deposit down with them despite their $2k markup, just to have another option in case Toyota Cedar Park has deliveries that take too long for me. I suspect Charles Maund will probably get the first allocations in the Austin area (no real reason for that, just a guess).

#36 ·
Nice! No markup is fun but if you look at the general market right now... a $2k markup on a brand new release vehicle isn't all that bad. Not suggesting it's good, I'm just saying...
No word from Cedar Park yet, kinda hesitant to keep asking them in case I piss them off and they 'accidentally' skip over me to the next guy...

#50 ·
* 2 out 3 cars me and my friends ordered , only 2 fit the spec the 3rd was a raven black base automatic which they couldn't get but did have a trueno blue available . My dealer is being 100% transparent and honest even offering to dealer trade to make sure my friend gets his black base . (If your state is part of the Gulf States Toyota) then ask your salesman about preferences, if he feeds you crap it's bs just know tomorrow is the last day to lock the preferences for that dealer.
Font Material property Pattern Parallel Tints and shades

#51 ·
^ Not sure I follow. Are you saying that Toyota has communicated this month's allocation to Gulf States Toyota dealers, and now they're in the phase of dealers trading their allocations with each other? Didn't the dealers already preference which cars they'd like included in their allocation to Toyota--what do you mean about a dealer giving us BS about preferencing? Is the "lock" just finalizing allocations after making any trades with other dealers?

Thanks for any explanation as I'm sure it will help others on this forum as well.

#52 ·
Not trading with each other but what Gulf states Toyota was given for it's dealers to pick from and yes once the lock happens it finalizes the selection untill the next allocations, this is the time they punch your preferences into the computer and its the real deal before they just wrote it down and said yeah we got you . As far as bs I'm referring to if your salesman still is giving you the runaround about no info on allocations( we all now know that it's already happening) so don't let their ignorance or laziness make you lose out on your car because they didn't wanna do their job

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.