Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2022 Toyota GR86 (Steel) arriving soon. I'm not a big fan of the black side mirrors on the GR86. I prefer the body-color side mirrors on 2022 Subaru BRZ. The body-color mirror caps are available through the Subaru dealer (pre-painted)—only $46.55 each MSRP. What I'm wondering is if the U.S.-spec GR86 and BRZ have the same side mirrors (and the GR86 just runs black mirror caps on all cars). I have been unable to figure that out based upon searching photos of the GR86 on Google Images, etc. There are no good up close photos of the side mirrors.

Can someone who has taken delivery of their new GR86 in the USA (or has access to one at a local dealership, etc.) send me and/or post some close up/detailed photos of the side mirrors on a GR86?

If the GR86 is like the BRZ, then there is a top mirror cap and a bottom mirror cap (Both in black on the GR86. Body color on top and black on the bottom on the BRZ.).

And FYI, see below photos—a white GR86 (at Goodwood in the UK—but it's left-hand drive) with body-color side mirrors (so, presumably European spec), a right-hand drive GR86 in red with black side mirrors, and a photo of a GR86 (red, with black side mirrors) and a BRZ (blue, with body-color side mirrors) together (both right-hand drive).

Thank you for your help.

UPDATE: See below post. GR86 and BRZ side mirrors look to indeed be the same.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Grille
Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Automotive lighting

·
Registered
404 Posts
I just looked at an online Subaru parts fiche, and it shows the colored mirror cap is a separate piece; I looked at the Toyota online parts fiches, and they aren't showing the GR86 yet. I would just wait until the GR86 is added to the Toyota parts fiche and see if the black Toyota mirrors have a separate cap like the Subarus. The fiches have 'exploded' views of the mirror assemblies so it should be easy to tell for the GR86.

I the last picture you posted, they sure do look like the same mirror, but again, the question is, does the GR86 have a separate (black) cap that can be removed and replaced with a Subaru matching one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just looked at an online Subaru parts fiche, and it shows the colored mirror cap is a separate piece; I looked at the Toyota online parts fiches, and they aren't showing the GR86 yet. I would just wait until the GR86 is added to the Toyota parts fiche and see if the black Toyota mirrors have a separate cap like the Subarus. The fiches have 'exploded' views of the mirror assemblies so it should be easy to tell for the GR86.

I the last picture you posted, they sure do look like the same mirror, but again, the question is, does the GR86 have a separate (black) cap that can be removed and replaced with a Subaru matching one.
Thanks, Maxey

Yes, that's where I sit—I've seen the Subaru side mirror parts detail and now I'm just waiting on detailed GR86 side mirror photos (and/or Toyota parts detail). My GR86 arrives next week. So, eager to sort out a plan. Logic is that they're the same side mirrors (GR86 and BRZ) but I'd like confirmation before ordering the BRZ mirror caps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to get photos from a friend of the side mirrors on a 2022 GR86. As expected, the 2022 GR86 side mirrors look to be the same as the side mirrors on the BRZ (the only difference is that the caps on the side mirrors are black on all USA GR86 examples no matter what the exterior color—vs. body color on the 2022 BRZ). See attached photos of a white 2022 GR86. So, it should be a simple mirror cap swap to get body color side mirrors on a 2022 GR86 (read: purchase 2022 BRZ side mirror caps).

Automotive side-view mirror Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive mirror

·
Registered
2022 Pavement GR86 , 2019 Shelby GT350R
861 Posts
I was able to get photos from a friend of the side mirrors on a 2022 GR86. As expected, the 2022 GR86 side mirrors look to be the same as the side mirrors on the BRZ (the only difference is that the caps on the side mirrors are black on all USA GR86 examples no matter what the exterior color—vs. body color on the 2022 BRZ). See attached photos of a white 2022 GR86. So, it should be a simple mirror cap swap to get body color side mirrors on a 2022 GR86 (read: purchase 2022 BRZ side mirror caps).

View attachment 3765

View attachment 3766
:cool:Photographer's hand needs to go on a diet.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh wow that is great news!
Hopefully the BRZ dark blue is the same as the GR86 Trueno Blue...
Too bad the Neptune Blue guys are screwed haha!
Agreed. Great news. But my guess is that the majority of GR86 buyers like the black mirrors. I don't—especially with lighter exterior colors (plus, I'm fitting grey BRZ 18-inch wheels as I'm not a fan of the black wheels on the GR86). So, I'm glad that it looks like it's an easy swap to BRZ side mirror caps (which come pre-painted/pre-molded in color from the factory). They're only $46.55 retail each.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Oh wow that is great news!
Hopefully the BRZ dark blue is the same as the GR86 Trueno Blue...
Too bad the Neptune Blue guys are screwed haha!
As I understand it, all the colors are identical between the Toyota and Subaru, with the exception of the blues unique to each company, those being Neptune (Toyota) and WRB (Subaru).

·
Registered
112 Posts
I wouldn't mind the colour keyed mirrors on my 86, unfortunately Subaru doesn't have a trueno blue lol
Trueno and sapphire are the same color.

Personally the black looks great on the lighter colors. I have a Neptune coming and I think color match would be too much. It's already a pretty loud color. Black accents will help keep balance

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Great thread! Would anyone know the part number for silver painted caps (what Toyota calls Steel)?
Here are the two (2) part numbers for the silver 2022 Subaru BRZ side mirror caps:
-91054CC000TQ
-91054CC010TQ

My mirror caps arrived earlier this week—see attached photos. My car (2022 Toyota GR86, base, Steel, 6MT) is due either today or early next week.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Hood Helmet Grey Automotive design Plant

Automotive lighting Automotive design Astronomical object Font Circle

Automotive lighting Automotive design Font Tints and shades Circle

·
Registered
2022 GR86 6AT Base Steel
297 Posts
OMG, thank you for the follow up and photos! My next question was how to remove them. I assume you go behind the actual mirror and release the tabs. I will be ordering these for my Steel GR86 that is sitting in my garage right now.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OMG, thank you for the follow up and photos! My next question was how to remove them. I assume you go behind the actual mirror and release the tabs. I will be ordering these for my Steel GR86 that is sitting in my garage right now.
My pleasure. Yes, it looks like the side mirror caps release/attach via the tabs. Here are the side mirror schematics for both the 2022 GR86 and 2022 BRZ. Hopefully that info helps. Good luck. Keep us posted on how it goes. I need my car and you need mirrors caps! We'll see who gets there first.

Head Human body Font Parallel Circle

Handwriting Font Auto part Parallel Circle

·
Registered
2022 GR86 6AT Base Steel
297 Posts
Wow, where did you find the GR86 diagram? I am looking for general GR86 part diagrams.

Let me take a look in person and see how they are exposed/accessible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow, where did you find the GR86 diagram? I am looking for general GR86 part diagrams.

Let me take a look in person and see how they are exposed/accessible.
I got the GR86 side mirror schematic from the Toyota dealership (I asked for the screen shot when I ordered some other parts).

Thanks for keeping me posted on your mirror cap swap. Looks like the latest ETA for my GR86 is around Feb. 1 (just heard moments ago). So, you should have the mirror cap swap done before my car arrives. If you order the BRZ mirror caps today/Monday, you should have them later next week.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts