Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
301 - 320 of 363 Posts

·
Registered
Raven Black GR86 Premium 6MT
210 Posts
Look… I hope you are right, and this silicon I see in the oil is not a chunk of sealant inside the oil pick up.

I look forward to my next oil analysis. If the levels drop, it would mean normal behavior. If the levels stay constant, it could mean chunks of sealant in the strainer.
The sealant is not made of silicon. It is made of silicone. They are not the same thing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The sealant is not made of silicon. It is made of silicone. They are not the same thing.
Silicon is an essential element in silicone sealant compound. Without silicon, there is no silicone. It is just chemistry.

look it up. Silicon element is denoted by the symbol Si. Any sealant that has the name silicone, will have the element Si, silicon, as a major part of it’s chemistry.

“silicones consist of an inorganic silicon–oxygen backbone chain (⋯−Si−O−Si−O−Si−O−⋯) with two organic groups attached to each silicon center.”

PS: Blackstone oil analysis looks for pure elements, in this case Si, silicon content. If there is excess silicone compound in the oil, it would show up as elevated silicon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It sounds like the only way to see into the actual pickup tube is to drop the pan.

However, watching videos where the pan is dropped, my dumb brain thinks an endoscope through the drain hole should be able to bend and look into the pickup tube itself.

Why is this not possible? Is it that the opening of the pickup tube is too close to the bottom of the pan (i.e. a scope cannot fit into the gap?) Anyone have a shop diagrams that lists the clearance

·
Registered
2022 AT 86
19 Posts
Was planning on taking my 86 to the dealer for an oil change, should I bring it up then to see if they’ll have a look at it or am I most likely going to be hit with a service charge of Atleast 1k and get told if it blows come back

·
Registered
102 Posts
Has anyone who dropped their pan found a clean pickup?
So far, every video I’ve seen showed debris there.

It’s also unclear to me that resealing the pan will fix this, as some of the debris have a different color than the sealant used in the pan.

To me this looks like a very concerning issue that will affect every car and won’t have an easy solution. Let us see…

·
Registered
2022 BRZ
72 Posts
Has anyone who dropped their pan found a clean pickup?
So far, every video I’ve seen showed debris there.

It’s also unclear to me that resealing the pan will fix this, as some of the debris have a different color than the sealant used in the pan.

To me this looks like a very concerning issue that will affect every car and won’t have an easy solution. Let us see…
No one should find a clean pickup. The screen is there for a reason. There will always be small bits and pieces in there due to the nature of how sealants and engines are

the concerning issue is the large pieces. Those shouldn’t be there. Small pieces are perfectly fine and normal to find on the screen

·
Registered
102 Posts
No one should find a clean pickup. The screen is there for a reason. There will always be small bits and pieces in there due to the nature of how sealants and engines are

the concerning issue is the large pieces. Those shouldn’t be there. Small pieces are perfectly fine and normal to find on the screen
All the videos I could find showed large pieces.

301 - 320 of 363 Posts