Toyota GR86 Forum - GT86 Forum, Subaru BRZ Forum, Scion ... banner
281 - 300 of 364 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just wanted to add my car data here even if my engine has not granated yet.

Build date:10/21
2 track days.

After 2 oil changes: 177ppm silicon, which is much more than anything I’ve seen in any of my new cars.

Just took apart my filter: no obvious sealant pieces noted.

it would be important to know if only certain build dates are affected. It is possible some robot got out of spec at some point.

ps: the tiny metal pieces sen in the filter are from sawing the filter apart.

Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Pattern

Sleeve Textile Grey Water Electric blue

Eyelash Automotive tire Sculpture Art Electric blue

·
Registered
2022 BRZ
72 Posts

2 track days.

After 2 oil changes: 177ppm silicon, which is much more than anything I’ve seen in any of my new cars.

it would be important to know if only certain build dates are affected. It is possible some robot got out of spec at some point.

View attachment 12352
View attachment 12354
View attachment 12353
177PPM is a tad high but nothing concerning for your mileage

not sure what other cars you have had tests done with, but FA motors use A LOT of rtv all over the place compared to most engines

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow to find this issue in multiple cars in JDM & USDM is alarming! If the problem is from extra goop stemming from the timing cover, that's not an easy fix as the oil pan & would require dropping the motor I'm assuming? Never thought that I would ever say this but I'm kind of glad that I don't have a GR86 yet haha!

·
Registered
17 Posts

2 track days.

View attachment 12352
View attachment 12354
View attachment 12353
Is that silicon or silicone? I’m not being a smart ass but those are 2 different materials lol silicon is what they get from sand to make chips right?

·
Registered
51 Posts
177PPM is a tad high but nothing concerning for your mileage

not sure what other cars you have had tests done with, but FA motors use A LOT of rtv all over the place compared to most engines
My 19’ Porsche Cayenne had 34ppm silicon at first oil change, while my 18’GT3 had 24ppm silicon. Mind you, this Subaru 177ppm is 2nd oil change.

need to see next oil analysis. If silicon is not decreasing, we have a problem

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 19’ Porsche Cayenne had 34ppm silicon at first oil change, while my 18’GT3 had 24ppm silicon. Mind you, this Subaru 177ppm is 2nd oil change
Hmm ok so that silicon could be anything on those reports lol

Silicon is one of the most useful elements to mankind. Most is used to make alloys including aluminium-silicon and ferro-silicon (iron-silicon). These are used to make dynamo and transformer plates, engine blocks, cylinder heads and machine tools and to deoxidise steel. Silicon is also used to make silicones.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, silicon is an element. In new engines, the presence is from sealant use.

It could also indicate dirt or a form of additive.

Please read the Blackstone report comment from the lab. They do state that the likely presence is from sealants.

I do not think this new engine with this high-end Amsoil contains any dirt/sand or some weird oil additive Amsoil started using just now.

·
Registered
2022 BRZ
72 Posts
My 19’ Porsche Cayenne had 34ppm silicon at first oil change, while my 18’GT3 had 24ppm silicon. Mind you, this Subaru 177ppm is 2nd oil change.

need to see next oil analysis. If silicon is not decreasing, we have a problem
dont compare porsche motors to subaru motors. as someone who has taken apart both, porsche motors are in their own class of engineering. Porsche also does vigorous testing on all their motors before the cars are shipped. iirc new pcars dont have any break-in period required, as they are broken in far before they see a dealership. It's a whole different quality of build and customer service when it comes to porsche

·
Registered
155 Posts
dont compare porsche motors to subaru motors. as someone who has taken apart both, porsche motors are in their own class of engineering. Porsche also does vigorous testing on all their motors before the cars are shipped. iirc new pcars dont have any break-in period required, as they are broken in far before they see a dealership. It's a whole different quality of build and customer service when it comes to porsche
And they still had issues with the 991.1 GT3 engines.

·
Registered
29 Posts
wanna talk about ims bearings

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, silicon is an element. In new engines, the presence is from sealant use.

It could also indicate dirt or a form of additive.

Please read the Blackstone report comment from the lab. They do state that the likely presence is from sealants.
Well… do not it be so naive thinking Porsche is different. Yes, when done right, their products perform amazing.

However, I did experience and was part of the 991.1 gt3 engine failure fiasco. So no, Porsche is not some sort of Unicorn. People, robots and software are in charge, and they do fail!

·
Registered
2022 BRZ
72 Posts
wanna talk about ims bearings
that funny thing? yea my unopened 177k miles 996.1 would like a word with you :)

m96 had more chance of bore scoring than an IMS failure.

And they still had issues with the 991.1 GT3 engines.
Well… do not it be so naive thinking Porsche is different. Yes, when done right, their products perform amazing.

However, I did experience and was part of the 991.1 gt3 engine failure fiasco. So no, Porsche is not some sort of Unicorn. People, robots and software are in charge, and they do fail!
i never said theyre perfect haha

every manufacture and engine has it's issues. but you cant compare blackstone numbers from a porsche with ones from a subaru.

iirc that was the first year they introduced the DI motors for the gt3 series.

as far as PPM goes, there's a post somewhere on facebook of a 100k miles FRS/BRZ with a blackstone report showing around 40-50PPM of silicon

thats more than both your porsches and it's been well used and far gone from the first oil change

·
Registered
2022 Ice Silver BRZ Limited manual.
1,807 Posts
I do not think this new engine with this high-end Amsoil contains any dirt/sand or some weird oil additive Amsoil started using just now.
Yes amsoil has silicon in their formulas. Not as high as what you are seeing though. The idemitsu oil from factory contains much more though. Odds are it is just remaining old oil in there. We are talking about PPM here. The pan holds some fluid that doesnt come out. There are all sorts of nooks and crannies that hold small amounts of oil that do not drain. It can take several oil changes to get an actual representation of how a certain oil is performing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes amsoil has silicon in their formulas. Not as high as what you are seeing though. The idemitsu oil from factory contains much more though. Odds are it is just remaining old oil in there. We are talking about PPM here. The pan holds some fluid that doesnt come out. There are all sorts of nooks and crannies that hold small amounts of oil that do not drain. It can take several oil changes to get an actual representation of how a certain oil is performing.
That is my thinking. Hope the levels drop, that would be telling.

The VOA for this Amsoil is 5ppm silicon.

·
Registered
51 Posts
that funny thing? yea my unopened 177k miles 996.1 would like a word with you :)

m96 had more chance of bore scoring than an IMS failure.

i never said theyre perfect haha

every manufacture and engine has it's issues. but you cant compare blackstone numbers from a porsche with ones from a subaru.

iirc that was the first year they introduced the DI motors for the gt3 series.

as far as PPM goes, there's a post somewhere on facebook of a 100k miles FRS/BRZ with a blackstone report showing around 40-50PPM of silicon

thats more than both your porsches and it's been well used and far gone from the first oil change
Look… I hope you are right, and this silicon I see in the oil is not a chunk of sealant inside the oil pick up.

I look forward to my next oil analysis. If the levels drop, it would mean normal behavior. If the levels stay constant, it could mean chunks of sealant in the strainer.

281 - 300 of 364 Posts